Brian Shaw and the Hub

UnomeKC

Pretty interesting watch, lifting big on the hub with a straight thumb. For people with a lot of hub experience how much difference could he expect with his thumb "hooked"? He does say he wants to train on it to get to 100lbs and get the WR.

• Like 6

That is very impressive- that hub is not seasoned at all. The above monster could get 100lb with a seasoned IM hub and some brief training! Bent thumb for me adds maybe 3lbs so Iam sure it varies greatly.

For the love of god, No one show him proper gripper technique

• Haha 2

Call me salty, but this crap is getting to the point of almost being boring. It's like "check out how much this elephant can deadlift", lol. Name a strength feat...got one yet?...okay, Brian is probably better than anybody you know at it.

If someone properly put chalk on that hub and he used any technique at all, he would have smashed 100lbs, no problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Call me salty, but this crap is getting to the point of almost being boring. It's like "check out how much this elephant can deadlift", lol. Name a strength feat...got one yet?...okay, Brian is probably better than anybody you know at it.

If someone properly put chalk on that hub and he used any technique at all, he would have smashed 100lbs, no problem.

Agreed. I have said it often. Once guys like this try grip events, all records will get smashed 

Edited by Chez

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

That is very impressive- that hub is not seasoned at all. The above monster could get 100lb with a seasoned IM hub and some brief training! Bent thumb for me adds maybe 3lbs so Iam sure it varies greatly.

He could do it no problem. I'm impressed he did that with the old style IM Hub.

Looks like I need to up the hub game and attempt to break 100 in a contest.

• Like 3

He could be the first to bolt two deep dish 45s together and hub lift them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

He could do it no problem. I'm impressed he did that with the old style IM Hub.

Looks like I need to up the hub game and attempt to break 100 in a contest.

You have big game!! I have never seen anyone who can hub the amount that you do!! Your contest results at SJ were off the charts great

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You have big game!! I have never seen anyone who can hub the amount that you do!! Your contest results at SJ were off the charts great

Thanks man, it took years to make it happen but now Brian wants to go for it I have to give him a run for his money lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John McCarter said:

Thanks man, it took years to make it happen but now Brian wants to go for it I have to give him a run for his money lol

My favorite thing would be if he did this whole build up and broke the record, then you took it back right after. 

• Like 1

I don't know. I was always better with the old slick hub with no chalk, but my hands chalked to the max. I suspect every person is different, but I am not convinced he could do more on the new textured version. And, I am not certain that he truly has not trained with the device. The fact that he has an old one means he was exposed to it long ago.

6 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Here’s a feat... flat bench millennium dumbbells 

And do it in the same fashion - lift one with each hand off the floor and give it a go

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

My favorite thing would be if he did this whole build up and broke the record, then you took it back right after. 

Like I said on his YouTube page if he breaks my record I'll give him full respect for breaking it. But if Brian wants the unofficial record he'll have to lift 138-140lbs .

I don't really think anyone here would think a  multiple world strongest man who is freaking HUGE would not likey smoke everyone if they actually devoted significant effort in technique, training the grip feats, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Oh, I know. Everyone else is beginning to realize this as well.

Unfortunately, its more and more apparent that no one here wants to see Brian actually compete in a grip comp. hints the push for testing in comps.

but now its gone further than an attempt to block guys like Brian from competition. Now, we have Gil all but saying they dont even want to see Brian do grip feats. Because hes so strong its “boring” to even watch?..

help me understand the logic?

I want to see Brian Shaw and anyone else compete in a grip comp.  I don't care at all about testing in comps.  I respect the orgs that drug test (USAWA does, and I am a member), but it is not a deal breaker for me if there is no testing.  I take care of my business and don't care at all if others want to use various assistance to take care of their business.  Some would say that my stance would change if there was money involved.  But I have the same options (use or don't) everyone else does.  So my stance remains the same no matter what is on the line.  I have a lot of experience being around "assisted" guys in my line of work.  Sometimes they are assisted by PCP.  I have seen things (could be considered "strength feats") done under the influence that would make a WSM top 10 finisher proud. 

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Holy moly.. playing with 90 lbs on a greasy looking hub with strict thumb placement?..

not to mention that Brians hight means he has to hang onto it longer to lock it out than just about all of us.

Not to take jabs.. but lets be real here, John. I remember there being some contraversy over your grip or Zacks grip on the hub? Cant remember which one of you it was who was accused of using too much bent thumb? Regardless,

Brian did it strict grip. Just sayin’

I have a feeling that Juji will hand Brian some grippers whenever they collab. So that day will come as well.

and why are you bored Gil? Not interesting seeing actual pro strength athletes performing in gripsport disciplines? Id say its much more interesting than if the average grip guy attempted strongman feats. Lol

On the elephant comment, i have a story about a humble elephant i heard once.. it goes like this:

a lion was strutting across a prairie and spotted a baboon minding his own business.. the lion runs up on the baboon, lets out a big roar as he shows his teeth to the baboon and says “rrrroooaaarrr!!!! WHO’S THE BADDEST IN THE JUNGLE?!?”

the frightened baboon says “y’y’you are mr lion! You are!”

the lion, after hearing what he needed to hear, prances away.

later that day the lion spots a water buffalo grazing. 

The lion runs up on the water buffalo and says “rrrrrooooaaaarrr! WHO’S THE BADDEST IN THIS LAND?!?”

the frightened water buffalo tells the lion what he wants to hear, and again, the proud lion prances off.

later that day the lion spots an elephant grazing.. runs up on the elephant and repeats his usual.. 

the elephant, unimpressed, scoffs and ignores the lion.. 

the lion, now in a rage, and not to be ignored, jumps up on the elephants back, sinks his claws in the elephants hide and repeats himself..

the elephant, now also frustrated, reaches up with his trunk, grabs the elephant by his tail, and proceeds to slam the lion into the ground 5 or 6 times as hard as he can..

the lion, now having a moment of clarity, limps away from the elephant with his head down. He looks back at the elephant and says “geeze mr. elephant, you didnt have to be an asshole because you didnt know the answer to the question...”

😆

moral of the story is- always somebody badder. Regardless of ones status quo as being the “king”.

i think the days of sub 300lb guys thinking they are the strongest in grip are coming to an end. Sorry the strongmen, like the humble elephant in the story, dont know the answer you want to hear about who is the baddest grip guy.

Very true! Always someone bigger, always someone badder, and always someone stronger. The key is to keep training and trying to keep up with the pack and hopefully exceed them.... if even for a short time.

18 hours ago, Climber028 said:

He could be the first to bolt two deep dish 45s together and hub lift them.

This feat is called the double whopper lift, but nobody has done it with 45 yet. I'm sure Carl Norberg could have done it with a Hampton plate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

This feat is called the double whopper lift, but nobody has done it with 45 yet. I'm sure Carl Norberg could have done it with a Hampton plate. 

Crazy, I was semi joking and thought I made it up. Would be damn impressive.

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I tried to like this post, but ran out of likes for the day..

Bill, why have you limited my spamming of the like feature! 

I had no idea there was such a limit.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, James Fuller said:

AND that's a long way to pick 100lb....

James, isn't some of the weight resting on your wrist thus taking some of the load off of the fingers?

26 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

James, isn't some of the weight resting on your wrist thus taking some of the load off of the fingers?

It certainly MAY but, it certainly DOESN'T feel like it!! I think the hardest part was lowering it under control simply cuz I HAD to!!

If it helps, I've also done this for whatever its worth:

• Like 5