2108 September - Backyard Grip Competition (Armlifting USA) - John Foelber

lder

2018 Backyard Grip Competition

I competed in the “Backyard Grip Competition” that took place in northern Delaware on September 22, 2018.  It was sanctioned by Armlifting USA and organized by Mongrel Garage Strength.  Events were inch pinch, Ironmind hub, 3” Arm Assassin block pinch, 3” CC monster crush, 2” CC monster crush and 3” CC raptor.  A 6” ring deadlift was originally in the event list as the last event but was replaced with the 2” CC and the 3” raptor lift was moved to the last event.

I weighed in at 217lb, which put me in the MW division, and was fortunate enough to win all six events taking the top lift in each event through all weight classes.  It was my first time getting my hands on the Country Crush Handles, inch pinch and 3” pinch block.  I was satisfied with my numbers on the 2” and 3” crush and 3” pinch.  I had a big number ready for the 3” raptor handle, but the addition of the extra 2” CC event took a little more out of me than I was expecting and could only pull a little over 140lbs.

Overall this was a fun event, I meet a lot of genuinely nice people, and had the chance to see some really impressive numbers get put up in the women’s division.  Check out the results on the Armlifting USA site and take a look at the women’s leader-board to see all qualifying lifts, especially from Valerie Walker. 

At the end of the competition another competitor had some COC grippers that he let everyone tryout.  I no-set closed a filed #2.5 and deep set closed a #3.  I am not new to grippers, but have never actually trained with them so this was a nice surprise.

On a side note, for anyone on the fence about competing in grip, I am not an overly large person and my hand size (7 1/2”) and hand span (9 3/8”) are nothing out of the ordinary.  With a little training for these specific events (about 6 weeks) I was able to be competitive.  You will never know what you are capable of until you try.   Also, Armlifting USA has a unique leader-board system so that even if you don’t set a new WR you are still recognized. 

John Foelber

Edited by lder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 6:48 AM, lder said:

2018 Backyard Grip Competition

I competed in the “Backyard Grip Competition” that took place in northern Delaware on September 22, 2018.  It was sanctioned by Armlifting USA and organized by Mongrel Garage Strength.  Events were inch pinch, Ironmind hub, 3” Arm Assassin block pinch, 3” CC monster crush, 2” CC monster crush and 3” CC raptor.  A 6” ring deadlift was originally in the event list as the last event but was replaced with the 2” CC and the 3” raptor lift was moved to the last event.

I weighed in at 217lb, which put me in the MW division, and was fortunate enough to win all six events taking the top lift in each event through all weight classes.  It was my first time getting my hands on the Country Crush Handles, inch pinch and 3” pinch block.  I was satisfied with my numbers on the 2” and 3” crush and 3” pinch.  I had a big number ready for the 3” raptor handle, but the addition of the extra 2” CC event took a little more out of me than I was expecting and could only pull a little over 140lbs.

Overall this was a fun event, I meet a lot of genuinely nice people, and had the chance to see some really impressive numbers get put up in the women’s division.  Check out the results on the Armlifting USA site and take a look at the women’s leader-board to see all qualifying lifts, especially from Valerie Walker. 

At the end of the competition another competitor had some COC grippers that he let everyone tryout.  I no-set closed a filed #2.5 and deep set closed a #3.  I am not new to grippers, but have never actually trained with them so this was a nice surprise.

On a side note, for anyone on the fence about competing in grip, I am not an overly large person and my hand size (7 1/2”) and hand span (9 3/8”) are nothing out of the ordinary.  With a little training for these specific events (about 6 weeks) I was able to be competitive.  You will never know what you are capable of until you try.   Also, Armlifting USA has a unique leader-board system so that even if you don’t set a new WR you are still recognized. 

John Foelber

Great job!!  You hit some very impressive numbers.  Looking forward to meeting you at a contest someday!