Training frequency for thick bar

Fist of Fury

Right now, I hit it once a week and seeing good results. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Thanks for feedback. How are you doing it, do you switch between different implements or do you stick with the same implement all the time?

It depends what kind of goals you want to accomplish. What kind of exercise you usually practice, any imagination about your weak links, etc.
I'd recommend 1-2 times a week with different intensity and training goals.

• Like 1

I do it twice a week. First a speed day at lower weight, next time I train it will be a heavy day where I work up to a few heavy singles and then do some variations of timed holds 

• Like 1

I'm trying 6-8 sessions a week now. I have only done it for two weeks but I have increased my max with a few kg's. I'm thinking I'm going to continue doing it until I can't lift 85% of my previous max anymore. So far I can lift around 102-103% of my previous max.

• Like 1

I've been training thick bar once every 9 days or so.  I'm not sure how people are able to train these implements multiple times per week.  I believe thick bar is the most difficult form of grip training to recover from......at least for me.

• Like 2

@IROC-Z, I have always felt the same but now I have trained thick bar for 12 days non-stop and I lift more now than I did when I started!

The first few days felt like absolute shit, I could barely move my arms without feeling extreme soreness. Now it's all gone and I'm stronger, despite not having rested anything. I will keep going until it doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for feedback, I just wanted to know what normal is, so I know where to go back to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I do it twice a week. First a speed day at lower weight, next time I train it will be a heavy day where I work up to a few heavy singles and then do some variations of timed holds 

These type of methods has worked for me as well. I'm just doing this for six days a week right now, and it still works. I also added in some lift with the wrist wrench. I might have to take it easier with that one though since it really hurts my right ring finger when lifting heavy.

I train thickbar often also since I put the manus grips on anything I"m picking up outside of heavy rack pulls. Odd haugen is the same way in that all his training implements are thickbar so he is training thickbar often. He is a legend in grip sport so I don't think high frequency is as bad as most think. In the end don't be afraid to experiment with new training ideas and if your getting good progress keep it up! 

I remember making my best squat gains when I was squatting everyday so I think the body is able to adapt to high volume pretty well if your getting plenty of food and rest and stay injury free. 

• Like 2