Armlifting USA at the 2019 Arnold Classic

riccardomagni

My opinion of "why" it is the way it is:Odd Haugen. He is going to gravitate towards thick bar, blob-like implements, etc., because he knows them, and because he is good at them.  He can get some free stuff from IronMind, the contest is simple, etc. I don't think he wants or cares to spend a lot of time dinking around with many different variables. He seems to be very well-known and respected on an International level.  And, some of this has to do with age. Not putting down Odd, I like him, he's a great guy. But when you get older, the fewer things you have to dink around with, the better. Hell, I am surprised the Silver Bullet made it in there, as he is not a great crusher.

7 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

My opinion of "why" it is the way it is:Odd Haugen. He is going to gravitate towards thick bar, blob-like implements, etc., because he knows them, and because he is good at them.  He can get some free stuff from IronMind, the contest is simple, etc. I don't think he wants or cares to spend a lot of time dinking around with many different variables. He seems to be very well-known and respected on an International level.  And, some of this has to do with age. Not putting down Odd, I like him, he's a great guy. But when you get older, the fewer things you have to dink around with, the better. Hell, I am surprised the Silver Bullet made it in there, as he is not a great crusher.

That’s a good point. If it was all about tailoring for Odd, there would definitely not be a crush event involved, as that is not a good one for him. A pinch event, a crush and a fat bar would be most balanced, as much as I hate pinch, and prefer the fat bar myself.

The most prestigious tournament of grip sport ever - Mighty Mitts.

Richard Sorin set very high standart for grip challenge on stage of Arnold.

I believe, Armlifting USA 2019 Arnold Classic - it has all chances to repeat the success.

The fact that the invitation received greatest Silver Bullet man right now - Ivan Pupchenko, 

convinces me that the organizers have approached the matter very seriously.

I spoke to one of the competitors who received an invite and he told me he won't be attending.  *Conspiracy theory intensifies" 

3 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

I spoke to one of the competitors who received an invite and he told me he won't be attending.  *Conspiracy theory intensifies" 

Did he say why he/she won’t be attending? Would be interesting to hear the reason outside of not being available, not being able to afford to go, not being able to get time off or any of the other logistical reasons one wouldn’t be able to attend.

18 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Did he say why he/she won’t be attending? Would be interesting to hear the reason outside of not being available, not being able to afford to go, not being able to get time off or any of the other logistical reasons one wouldn’t be able to attend.

It was something along the lines of a certain athlete or group of athletes that will also be competing.

2 hours ago, Leonard_Washington said:

It was something along the lines of a certain athlete or group of athletes that will also be competing.

Meaning that person did not want to compete with them? Why are things so strange ? If one wants to compete, they should compete, regardless of who is there. I mean, unless there is the possibility of a physical confrontation between people that don’t like each other,or they have a strong objection against competed with possibly enhanced athletes,  I see no reason why someone that truly loves to compete would let who is there stop them. Is that what I read in your post? Or am I off the track? The more competitions at our disposal get the sport recognized and more people into it. Maybe it’s just me, but I could care less who is at a competition. Negative feelings about someone should not stop anyone from experiences like this. That’s just my opinion, probably doesn’t matter. But then again, I don’t know why the person is opting out. Maybe if they were the second choice I can see halfway why, but not if they were first pick.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:22 PM, Leonard_Washington said:

If people are that petty and childish then they dont deserve the time involved to even gove them an invitation...damn crybabies! 

14 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

If people are that petty and childish then they dont deserve the time involved to even gove them an invitation...damn crybabies! 

I hate everyone and I still go to comps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can definitely appreciate the fact that Clay was willing to come on here and give a very genuine explanation of why certain individuals were invited to this contest and others weren't.  He didn't really have any obligation to do that, so I think it's very cool that he made every effort to be up front and open about things.  With that said, I completely agree with Mike on this entire situation.  It's almost impossible for me to fathom that anybody within the U.S. would be holding an invite only grip contest, and Jedd Johnson wouldn't be asked to compete.  In my humble opinion, we are talking about the greatest all-around grip athlete on the planet here.  Jedd should have received one of the very first invitations.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

I can definitely appreciate the fact that Clay was willing to come on here and give a very genuine explanation of why certain individuals were invited to this contest and others weren't.  He didn't really have any obligation to do that, so I think it's very cool that he made every effort to be up front and open about things.  With that said, I completely agree with Mike on this entire situation.  It's almost impossible for me to fathom that anybody within the U.S. would be holding an invite only grip contest, and Jedd Johnson wouldn't be asked to compete.  In my humble opinion, we are talking about the greatest all-around grip athlete on the planet here.  Jedd should have received one of the very first invitations.

100% truth 

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 8:22 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

The fact that @Jedd Johnson wasn't invited to this is a joke.  Guess you can't risk having someone on the committee for a competing organization come in and beat everyone.  

Good thing Jedd and Adam were added.  2nd place lightweight for Adam and 2nd HW and overall for Jedd. 

If there's a grip contest 5 months away, it doesn't matter what the events are, my money is on those guys landing on the podium.