Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Hunsaker

Grip Sport International Implementation

Recommended Posts

jchapman
6 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Forgive me if already asked and answered:  When will this start?  Do we have to be a member for KK or Gripmas for our lifts to be included? 

 

On the money thing, it isn't just promoters who are putting extra money out for contests.  I do 10 - 15 hour round trips to compete depending on if it is Jedd's or Chris's .  Hotel bills, etc.  Every contest I do, there is $100 - $200 in extra cost on top of the entrance fee.  $20 isn't going to make a difference either way for me, but as someone who has promoted contests, I can tell you that it costs way more for me to compete in someone else's contest than it does for me to pomote one.  We all do this for fun, and compared to some sports it's a pretty cheap hobby (believe that from a former bad hockey player), but to some people, $20 on top of travel and entry fees might be enough to say, "I'll just stay home and watch curling or college football this Saturday.  Especially people who are thinking about just giving it a try for the first time.  You are essentially adding 50% - 100% to the entry fee for someone looking to see if they might like something.  May or may not be a deal breaker.  Maybe a one time freebie for your first contest? 

 

You can test me any time you want, but if we want to draw in high end amateur (or pro) strongmen into our sport, you might want to rethink the testing.  I've never once come within shouting distance of a lift that someone would yell PEDs :laugh, but there are quite a few people out there that have competed for years in grip sport while taking some extremely strong supplements.  This one may end up contracting the sport instead of expanding it.  May even lose some of the stars of our sport.  Not saying that's good or bad, but every action has intended and unintended consequences, which need to be thought through.  Just a thought.  Like I said, no dog in this fight as I have the T levels of a 13 year old girl at my age.  But if you start testing for creatine...  I'M OUT!!!  :D

Also, what about people on hormone replacement (both male and female)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

there are quite a few people out there that have competed for years in grip sport while taking some extremely strong supplements.  This one may end up contracting the sport instead of expanding it.  May even lose some of the stars of our sport.  

I’m ok with losing them. I would rather compete against clean athletes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I’m ok with losing them. I would rather compete against clean athletes. 

I want to compete against everybody... and beat them.  :fear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I want to compete against everybody... and beat them.  :fear

I love competition but I would perfer a level playing field 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Forgive me if already asked and answered:  When will this start?  Do we have to be a member for KK or Gripmas for our lifts to be included? 

 

On the money thing, it isn't just promoters who are putting extra money out for contests.  I do 10 - 15 hour round trips to compete depending on if it is Jedd's or Chris's .  Hotel bills, etc.  Every contest I do, there is $100 - $200 in extra cost on top of the entrance fee.  $20 isn't going to make a difference either way for me, but as someone who has promoted contests, I can tell you that it costs way more for me to compete in someone else's contest than it does for me to pomote one.  We all do this for fun, and compared to some sports it's a pretty cheap hobby (believe that from a former bad hockey player), but to some people, $20 on top of travel and entry fees might be enough to say, "I'll just stay home and watch curling or college football this Saturday.  Especially people who are thinking about just giving it a try for the first time.  You are essentially adding 50% - 100% to the entry fee for someone looking to see if they might like something.  May or may not be a deal breaker.  Maybe a one time freebie for your first contest? 

 

You can test me any time you want, but if we want to draw in high end amateur (or pro) strongmen into our sport, you might want to rethink the testing.  I've never once come within shouting distance of a lift that someone would yell PEDs :laugh, but there are quite a few people out there that have competed for years in grip sport while taking some extremely strong supplements.  This one may end up contracting the sport instead of expanding it.  May even lose some of the stars of our sport.  Not saying that's good or bad, but every action has intended and unintended consequences, which need to be thought through.  Just a thought.  Like I said, no dog in this fight as I have the T levels of a 13 year old girl at my age.  But if you start testing for creatine...  I'M OUT!!!  :D

Dude I’m with you. My test is pathetic man. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
Just now, Chez said:

I love competition but I would perfer a level playing field 

There is no such thing.  Never has been.  Never will be.  But I understand your point.  We all want things to be as level as possible.  I was just pointing out that we are likely to lose some people that already compete and some that might compete if that rule wasn't there.  Not judging whether good or bad.  We also might lose people if that rule isn't there.  Could go either way.  But it needs to be considered. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I love competition but I would perfer a level playing field 

Me too man. Roids suck’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude I’m with you. My test is pathetic man. 

High test levels are for cheaters!!!!  :laugh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
14 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Also, what about people on hormone replacement (both male and female)?

Can’t compare that to people who clinically need it. It’s not the same as someone taking to get strong. It’s a medical need. It gets them to normal levels.... anything beyond taking for that is the issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jchapman
6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Can’t compare that to people who clinically need it. It’s not the same as someone taking to get strong. It’s a medical need. It gets them to normal levels.... anything beyond taking for that is the issue

I understand the difference.  I am asking if HRT will be allowed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

There is no such thing.  Never has been.  Never will be.  But I understand your point.  We all want things to be as level as possible.  I was just pointing out that we are likely to lose some people that already compete and some that might compete if that rule wasn't there.  Not judging whether good or bad.  We also might lose people if that rule isn't there.  Could go either way.  But it needs to be considered. 

Who cares if we lose people for roids? That’s the problem. No offense to them.... but roids are cheating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shoggoth

Threads going to get locked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Who cares if we lose people for roids? That’s the problem. No offense to them.... but roids are cheating

Technically, they are not.  Unless, of course, there is a rule banning them.  Up until now, there has never been a rule in North America banning them that I am aware of.  But I get your point

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
Just now, Shoggoth said:

Threads going to get locked

Yup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Technically, they are not.  Unless, of course, there is a rule banning them.  Up until now, there has never been a rule in North America banning them that I am aware of.  But I get your point

The law says it. It’s a felony. Get caught with them here in the  USA you get arrested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
6 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Threads going to get locked

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

I don't really care about the fees, the only thing that would stop be from competing is if weight classes were eliminated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin
1 hour ago, jchapman said:

How were these members selected?  I don't have a problem with them, I just think it would be good to have that answer here in this thread (like you said, the more transparency the more buy in from members).

Over the years, when a NAGS committee member resigned, a replacement was selected at the remaining committee members’ discretion. Departures regularly occur for a variety of reasons. Sometimes formal call-outs for interested candidates are made, other times we reach out to specific individuals. But in all cases the majority of committee members have to agree to bring someone on board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryan Hunsaker

@Climber028 Weight classes will be maintained

Everyone else, this is not the venue for drug testing discussion, in depth.  Please keep focus and comments to the broader subject.  We need discussion of what GSI is doing on a higher level, and that is a tiny detail. @Joseph Sullivan@Chez@Mike Rinderle

@jchapman We're getting lost in the weeds.  HRT keeps you in a normal, operable range and I don't think that would ever be an issue.

The NAGS Board and appointments question can best be addressed by @Jedd Johnson@Eric Roussin.  I was appointed about 18 months ago via a vote from current members of the board/committee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jchapman
1 minute ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

@Climber028 Weight classes will be maintained

Everyone else, this is not the venue for drug testing discussion, in depth.  Please keep focus and comments to the broader subject.  We need discussion of what GSI is doing on a higher level, and that is a tiny detail. @Joseph Sullivan@Chez@Mike Rinderle

@jchapman We're getting lost in the weeds.  HRT keeps you in a normal, operable range and I don't think that would ever be an issue.

The NAGS Board and appointments question can best be addressed by @Jedd Johnson@Eric Roussin.  I was appointed about 18 months ago via a vote from current members of the board/committee.

Right, but if you test for synthetic hormones, someone on HRT will test positive.  So then what happens?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Right, but if you test for synthetic hormones, someone on HRT will test positive.  So then what happens?  

It gets you normal. It would not show as using. Normal is ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jchapman
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It gets you normal. It would not show as using. Normal is ok

No, you would test positive for synthetic hormones.  What you are talking about (I think) is establishing a range of acceptable hormone levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

No, you would test positive for synthetic hormones.  What you are talking about (I think) is establishing a range of acceptable hormone levels.

It would show? Huh... did not know that! Good to know. I am super low... have refused to get on HRT for just that reason.... didn’t think it would show though if it got you to normal levels. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
9 minutes ago, jchapman said:

No, you would test positive for synthetic hormones.  What you are talking about (I think) is establishing a range of acceptable hormone levels.

Yes this is correct.

If that happen you're out. There's no place for grey areas with this. It's not a human right to be able to compete in sports. It's a privilege. It's sad but it's the only way. Otherwise you will probably only see "enhanced" people competing in sports in the future. With the advance of technology.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
14 minutes ago, jchapman said:

No, you would test positive for synthetic hormones.  What you are talking about (I think) is establishing a range of acceptable hormone levels.

Possibly the point is there are bigger fish to fry to get this sport off the ground.  I don’t see why Grip Sport would have some rampant, unique false-positive HRT headache that needs a bunch of attention now.  

From a moderation standpoint I don’t see any reason to lock so far. Just please focus on the issue as it relates to Grip Sport development.  

So far, GSI has said they reserve the right to test. That sounds like something that can evolve. And I feel like they’ve been careful to ONLY say that so far. Not speaking for them, that’s just my read on their direction. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.