Grip Sport International Implementation

Bryan Hunsaker

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks for the reply Bryan.

Has there been any consideration of shrinking the number of weight classes until we have enough people competing?  When a 50 year old logistics exec, who doesn't take this stuff super seriously, wins an open weight class at NAGS, you've probably got a couple too many.  Lol.  

At this point, everyone pretty much places in their weight class at most contests.  Its like a participation medal.  For global events like KK, you can support it, but it's rare that there's more than 2-3 people in any one class for local events.  Nice for records, but it really cheapens the contest awards in my opinion.  Who really cares if you're the 120kg champ if guys below you and above you did better?  I know, I know, these days everyone wants a trophy; but I'm a great example of why making it only 2 or three classes for the majority of contests might work better and make the class wins even more special.  

Right now I'm 30lbs below where I was at NAGS, and my grip lifts are all up.  I mean guys from the 93kg class finished 1 and 3 overall at NAGS.  Maybe we don't need so many classes.  Would lower costs too with less awards.  Just a thought.  Not something I'm too pressed about either way.

Again, thanks to all who donate their time to this stuff.

The weight classes are often misunderstood. You don’t have to do contest placings and give awards by the nags weight classes. I agree that most comps don’t have enough people attending so it’s silly to do it that way since some people would win just by showing up and being the only person in their class. The nags weight classes are for record keeping purposes. A promoter can make their your own weight classes for comp placings and awards. I threw a comp years back when I was hosting comps where I grouped people into 4 weight classes based on who attended as fairly as possible (light weight, middle weight, light heavy and heavy weight). It worked out really well. It was competitive. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

The weight classes are often misunderstood. You don’t have to do contest placings and give awards by the nags weight classes. I agree that most comps don’t have enough people attending so it’s silly to do it that way since some people would win just by showing up and being the only person in their class. The nags weight classes are for record keeping purposes. A promoter can make their your own weight classes for comp placings and awards. I threw a comp years back when I was hosting comps where I grouped people into 4 weight classes based on who attended as fairly as possible (light weight, middle weight, light heavy and heavy weight). It worked out really well. It was competitive. 

Makes sense.  Gracias.  I do wish someone would figure out something better than weight for our sport.  It just doesn't seem to translate as well as it does in other sports.  Unfortunately, it may be the best we've got without taking full body measurements and DNA samples from everyone.  🤔🤷‍♂️🙄

On 9/27/2018 at 11:35 AM, WestSlope said:

To present a possible solution to a problem - for 2019, I suggest a $5-$8 GSI comp fee per individual for each  comp up to a $20/yr cap. I would think this would be simple to track and *should* ease the financial concern. Those that are serious will end up at the $20 (or they could opt to start at $20). Those that just want to try it are still helping GSI.

Would you be willing to track that for us?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, Chez said:

I’m not that strong

I can die now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Mike Rinderle echo to what @Chez said.  You are likely right for smaller comps, and regardless of where my personal stance is on weight classes, there is a large contingent of people that won't compete without them, so it remains in the best interest of Grip to maintain a reasonable number of weight classes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

@Mike Rinderle echo to what @Chez said.  You are likely right for smaller comps, and regardless of where my personal stance is on weight classes, there is a large contingent of people that won't compete without them, so it remains in the best interest of Grip to maintain a reasonable number of weight classes.

Agreed.  Sign of the times I guess.  

GSI would like to add to the original posting the following:

All GSI membership dues for 2019 will be optional.  This means membership will be free for all of 2019, but if individuals want to show their support for the mission of GSI, which is to grow the sport of Grip, GSI will welcome those donations.  

We are further considering, following next year's optional period, in 2020, going to a $5 fee per contest model, or $20 per annum option.  We'll finalize this in 2019.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and support, thus far.

Thank you,

GSI

Jedd, Eric, Allen, Florian, Eirik, Bryan

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

GSI would like to add to the original posting the following:

All GSI membership dues for 2019 will be optional.  This means membership will be free for all of 2019, but if individuals want to show their support for the mission of GSI, which is to grow the sport of Grip, GSI will welcome those donations.  

We are further considering, following next year's optional period, in 2020, going to a $5 fee per contest model, or $20 per annum option.  We'll finalize this in 2019.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and support, thus far.

Thank you,

GSI

Jedd, Eric, Allen, Florian, Eirik, Bryan

Thank you

@Tommy J. The PayPal part is still in process, but we will have something in place soon.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

@Tommy J. The PayPal part is still in process, but we will have something in place soon.  Thanks!

mrinderlefma@yahoo.com will work for the time being. 

• Haha 1