Jump to content
Bryan Hunsaker

Grip Sport International Implementation

Recommended Posts

Bryan Hunsaker

Good morning all, the purpose of the below executive summary is to outline how Grip Sport International (GSI) will officially operate.  Though more information is forthcoming, this is a broad summary.  We welcome all input that is constructive.  The information has been debated at length with GSI committee members, and the goal was to make an organization that could both incorporate the various aspects of Grip and still refine the scope of the sport moving forward.  We feel that for Grip to continue to grow and be more broadly recognized, a more official approach is needed to managing the sport and we hope to have everyone's help in doing so.  Please note that no one is being paid for their efforts and time with GSI - these efforts, and the below, are reflective of people trying to do their best to help grow Grip.  

Thank you,

GSI

 

 

Grip Sport International (GSI)

 

Mission Statement

The Mission of GSI is to serve as a centralized sanctioning body to the various international organizations operating in Grip Sport and Armlifting (combined reference as Grip, hereafter).

 

How it will work

·        GSI will operate as a non-for-profit organization 

·        GSI will act as a centralized sanctioning group for Grip Organizations

·        GSI will charge a small sanctioning fee for specific events and competitions ($25)

·        GSI will also charge a small annual membership fee for athletes ($20)

o   Proceeds will be utilized to cover direct operating expenses, promote Grip and support competitions and athletes based on available resources

o   There will not be a fee for member organizations, in addition

·        GSI will maintain leaderboards and databases relating to sanctioned Grip competition

·        GSI will maintain rules and best practices for global competition in Grip

·        GSI will certify world records according to accepted standards

·        At its discretion, GSI may require banned substance testing according to WADA standards for world records and podium finishers in national and international competition

·        GSI will grant “Pro” status to athletes based on certain accepted parameters

·        Through these processes, GSI will create a cohesive platform for Grip, globally

o   GSI will further assist in promoting national events or championships (“Nationals”)

o   GSI will also assist in running an annual World Championship of Grip, which it hopes to hold on a rotating basis in and around The USA or Europe based on current competitors

 

Definition of Grip

·        GSI Sanctioned Grip Events will consist of a minimum of two of the following (core) disciplines:

o   Pinch lift – one or two-handed

o   Thick bar lift – one or two-handed, rolling handle or axle of at least 50mm diameter

o   Gripper – static hold or measured close

·        At the discretion of the event promoter, more disciplines may be contested including disciplines of:

o   Crushing, Pinching, Thick Bar, Support, Forearm & Wrist (visit GSI site for comprehensive list)

·        It is not the intention to exclude certain brands, or implements, however GSI will only maintain leaderboards and other databases for certain lifts in each prescribed discipline.  That does not preclude the use of certain other devices, but to streamline efforts, not all devices will be tracked. Core disciplines must be contested on GSI-approved devices.

·        GSI may sanction and support other Grip-related events and contests that promote the Sport

 

Summary

GSI will begin full operation in calendar year 2019.  Until then it will seek corporate sponsorships and continue to detail a full set of rules and operating guidelines.  In summary, though, GSI is seeking to streamline Grip and unify the various global efforts to grow the sport, while allowing those specific regional groups or organizations to autonomously operate Grip in their respective regions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
29 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Good morning all, the purpose of the below executive summary is to outline how Grip Sport International (GSI) will officially operate.  Though more information is forthcoming, this is a broad summary.  We welcome all input that is constructive.  The information has been debated at length with GSI committee members, and the goal was to make an organization that could both incorporate the various aspects of Grip and still refine the scope of the sport moving forward.  We feel that for Grip to continue to grow and be more broadly recognized, a more official approach is needed to managing the sport and we hope to have everyone's help in doing so.  Please note that no one is being paid for their efforts and time with GSI - these efforts, and the below, are reflective of people trying to do their best to help grow Grip.  

Thank you,

GSI

 

 

 

 

Grip Sport International (GSI)

 

 

 

Mission Statement

 

The Mission of GSI is to serve as a centralized sanctioning body to the various international organizations operating in Grip Sport and Armlifting (combined reference as Grip, hereafter).

 

 

 

How it will work

 

·        GSI will operate as a non-for-profit organization 

 

·        GSI will act as a centralized sanctioning group for Grip Organizations

 

·        GSI will charge a small sanctioning fee for specific events and competitions ($25)

 

·        GSI will also charge a small annual membership fee for athletes ($20)

 

o   Proceeds will be utilized to cover direct operating expenses, promote Grip and support competitions and athletes based on available resources

 

o   There will not be a fee for member organizations, in addition

 

·        GSI will maintain leaderboards and databases relating to sanctioned Grip competition

 

·        GSI will maintain rules and best practices for global competition in Grip

 

·        GSI will certify world records according to accepted standards

 

·        At its discretion, GSI may require banned substance testing according to WADA standards for world records and podium finishers in national and international competition

 

·        GSI will grant “Pro” status to athletes based on certain accepted parameters

 

·        Through these processes, GSI will create a cohesive platform for Grip, globally

 

o   GSI will further assist in promoting national events or championships (“Nationals”)

 

o   GSI will also assist in running an annual World Championship of Grip, which it hopes to hold on a rotating basis in and around The USA or Europe based on current competitors

 

 

 

Definition of Grip

 

·        GSI Sanctioned Grip Events will consist of a minimum of two of the following (core) disciplines:

 

o   Pinch lift – one or two-handed

 

o   Thick bar lift – one or two-handed, rolling handle or axle of at least 50mm diameter

 

o   Gripper – static hold or measured close

 

·        At the discretion of the event promoter, more disciplines may be contested including disciplines of:

 

o   Crushing, Pinching, Thick Bar, Support, Forearm & Wrist (visit GSI site for comprehensive list)

 

·        It is not the intention to exclude certain brands, or implements, however GSI will only maintain leaderboards and other databases for certain lifts in each prescribed discipline.  That does not preclude the use of certain other devices, but to streamline efforts, not all devices will be tracked. Core disciplines must be contested on GSI-approved devices.

 

·        GSI may sanction and support other Grip-related events and contests that promote the Sport

 

 

 

Summary

 

GSI will begin full operation in calendar year 2019.  Until then it will seek corporate sponsorships and continue to detail a full set of rules and operating guidelines.  In summary, though, GSI is seeking to streamline Grip and unify the various global efforts to grow the sport, while allowing those specific regional groups or organizations to autonomously operate Grip in their respective regions.

 

This is awesome Bryan! Sounds very good! Especially testing for winners. Thank you for putting this together sir. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shoggoth

Still not looking towards having competitors be charged an additional $20 (USD I assume as well) to enter 1-2 competitions a year. If they’re only competing in one (their first) comp that’s $25 for shirt and trophy, $10 fee for the venue, and $35CDN. That’s $70. Not helpful for growing the sport here at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jchapman

Is this like the Grip Collective, only more formal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
6 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Still not looking towards having competitors be charged an additional $20 (USD I assume as well) to enter 1-2 competitions a year. If they’re only competing in one (their first) comp that’s $25 for shirt and trophy, $10 fee for the venue, and $35CDN. That’s $70. Not helpful for growing the sport here at least. 

I’ve been in 5 comps this year.... where’s my shirt? I haven’t received a shirt for any of them. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shoggoth
8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’ve been in 5 comps this year.... where’s my shirt? I haven’t received a shirt for any of them. 🤔

Never saw you out west. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

When will the athlete fee start?  Before or after Dec 8th (Gripmas)?  

Disregard - I see where it starts 2019.  I should read better :)

Edited by climber511

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

Im certainly open to testing, but i didnt see any language regarding who foots the bill for the WADA testing should a situation arise.

basically what im saying is- im glad to get tested should anyone decide to question, but dont expect me to pay for your doubt!

Just wanted to get some clarification on this. Dont know of any pro or non pro athlete that has to pay for their own drug test. Will this organization be different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

For reference, here is a random link that popped up when i searched “performance enhancing drug test cost”.

https://testcountry.com/products/at-home-steroid-test-kit

as you can see, its $76 a test unless you buy multiple and get a discount per test. ...and while this link certainly appears to be credible in regards to how serious the testing is, its just one of many links to many steroid testing kits. The price can either go way up or slightly down from $76 depending upon which link you pick. 

That said, is anyone willing to do any home work on what the total cost will be for WADA test kits? Including shipping to Canada for testing?

im curious to know just how much thought has gone into the testing cost, and who is covering it.

 

and as i said above, im glad to take a drug test. Just dont expect me to hand over any money for it. These type of tests are expensive compared to wallgreens brand tests.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

For reference, here is a random link that popped up when i searched “performance enhancing drug test cost”.

https://testcountry.com/products/at-home-steroid-test-kit

as you can see, its $76 a test unless you buy multiple and get a discount per test. ...and while this link certainly appears to be credible in regards to how serious the testing is, its just one of many links to many steroid testing kits. The price can either go way up or slightly down from $76 depending upon which link you pick. 

That said, is anyone willing to do any home work on what the total cost will be for WADA test kits? Including shipping to Canada for testing?

im curious to know just how much thought has gone into the testing cost, and who is covering it.

 

and as i said above, im glad to take a drug test. Just dont expect me to hand over any money for it. These type of tests are expensive compared to wallgreens brand tests.

I agree with this statement. Test me anytime, anywhere... but not at my expense out of my pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

Starting at my beginning

·       Listing of a comp should be free – not much work involved and most small promoters lose money every time already.

·       Sanctioning fee is fine – we’ve already had this for a while now.

·       Organization membership fee I’ll call it is fine – maybe consider allowing people under 18 to compete for free to create interest and longtime future competitors.  Maybe consider a “first comp free” idea – just a thought?   What has held the sport back has been money no doubt - obviously from the organization side but also the cost to competitors for people just wanting to try out something new they know next to nothing about.  Some way to solve this certainly is necessary.  Lots of first time people to the sport are not serious at their first meet and will hesitate if the cost gets too high.

·       Two of the three core lifts idea might need thought (grippers).  I've held over the years choked grippers and the ISG gripper – you might want to clarify “grippers”.  As far as I know there is only one set of accepted calibrated grippers in existence – this could become a problem shipping them around to different promoters and the cost to individual promoters to replicate that set would be a deal breaker to almost all promoters.  Using random grippers might mean they could not be put on the Top 50 lists since the use of our "comp set" came into existence?  The "lists" have multiple gripper events listed - do you plan to keep them all?  I'm thinking "choked" grippers and do you want that on your competition set?  Personally I think it's the most pure strength test there is on grippers but I know many (almost everyone:)) disagrees with me.  

 

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryan Hunsaker

Let me try and respond to everyone:

@Shoggoth There needs to be an understanding that a lot of individuals, like the board members of GSI, are constantly putting personal money (not to mention lots of time) into running the organization, trying to piece together a sport.  The broader community of grippers need to take part in this process.  $20/year is not a lot of money but if someone has legitimate financial hardships, we'll get a sponsor to cover the shortfall.  We don't want $20 holding someone back.  We need everyone involved, though, with skin in the game, to make Grip more than it is now.

@Joseph Sullivan @Tommy J. We're saying that the Organization may require drug testing, not that it will, first of all.  We envision this being a tool to keep the sport clean, and possibly only something to enforce at larger events like National's or World's.  In the event that testing is required, I believe GSI would cover those costs.  Again, though, I wouldn't expect testing to be conducted regularly, or to be the norm. 

@jchapman I'm not that familiar with the Grip Collective, so I don't want to speak out of place, but I believe that was a group trying to streamline international efforts and rules, but not in an official capacity.  GSI aims to be an official unifying body for various Grip organizations around the world.  I suppose there is some overlap in mission, but I also don't believe the GC is that operational at the moment.  Maybe someone else like @Jedd Johnson @Eric Roussin could address this?

@climber511 I don't believe there is a fee to list a comp.  That is via the Grip Board, and not GSI.  Anyone can run anything they want, any time they want, promoted however they want, but the goal is to get more and more people to run GSI-sanctioned events to foster a more cohesive sport.

Fees - people can still compete for free.  However, GSI will only track results for GSI members moving forward.

Money in general - Strongman and other strength sports are thriving.  Personally coming from a Strongman background, I can tell you that most competitors are not highly-compensated professionals in their personal lives, and money can be a personal holdup.  Nevertheless, ranks are swelling and the sport is growing rapidly, while charging more annually and per competition than Grip.  Much of that is due to the resources they're able to allocate back to events and the sport.  A lot is from the ability to leverage membership into corporate sponsorship.  We don't even know how many people are legitimately involved in Grip and so getting corporate sponsors (outside of grip implement manufacturers) is incredibly difficult as it is a question of incremental and un-traceable marketing spend - business owners won't commit to that.  GSI aims to present a real face to the sporting world, and potentially corporate world, to bring in resources to become a legitimate and recognized sport.  If Strongman can muster annual fees + competition fees from its ranks, Grip has no excuse.  GSI, in turn, will utilize all the proceeds to grow the sport, and when possible, give back to the member athletes with things like travel support, etc.

Grippers - we aren't limiting the scope of grippers to choked, certified implements.  This could include a CoC out of the packaging (or an old CPW), a table-top close of a GHP, a 20mm close of an insert-brand-here gripper, a Silver Bullet timed hold, etc.  Only certain categories of gripper events will be tracked, though (as has been done in the past).  The grip event in a competition can be an un-tracked event.  Grippers as a broader category keep the core events more accessible to more people, and cover a highly popular segment of Grip.

Guys, bottom-line to all of this, just being real, the sport is stagnant and needs an impetus to change.  GSI is that opportunity.  We need the community to coalesce around this.  Present legitimate issues if there are any, but with small things, try and overlook them with focus on the greater good here, which is a bigger sport with more resources and recognition, which ultimately benefits all involved.

Thanks,

GSI

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shoggoth

My foreseeable competitions will be held outside of GSI. I easily see 35-45 individuals competing through my events next year and I don’t plan on any additional charges being borne either by myself or the competitors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Let me try and respond to everyone:

@Shoggoth There needs to be an understanding that a lot of individuals, like the board members of GSI, are constantly putting personal money (not to mention lots of time) into running the organization, trying to piece together a sport.  The broader community of grippers need to take part in this process.  $20/year is not a lot of money but if someone has legitimate financial hardships, we'll get a sponsor to cover the shortfall.  We don't want $20 holding someone back.  We need everyone involved, though, with skin in the game, to make Grip more than it is now.

@Joseph Sullivan @Tommy J. We're saying that the Organization may require drug testing, not that it will, first of all.  We envision this being a tool to keep the sport clean, and possibly only something to enforce at larger events like National's or World's.  In the event that testing is required, I believe GSI would cover those costs.  Again, though, I wouldn't expect testing to be conducted regularly, or to be the norm. 

@jchapman I'm not that familiar with the Grip Collective, so I don't want to speak out of place, but I believe that was a group trying to streamline international efforts and rules, but not in an official capacity.  GSI aims to be an official unifying body for various Grip organizations around the world.  I suppose there is some overlap in mission, but I also don't believe the GC is that operational at the moment.  Maybe someone else like @Jedd Johnson @Eric Roussin could address this?

@climber511 I don't believe there is a fee to list a comp.  That is via the Grip Board, and not GSI.  Anyone can run anything they want, any time they want, promoted however they want, but the goal is to get more and more people to run GSI-sanctioned events to foster a more cohesive sport.

Fees - people can still compete for free.  However, GSI will only track results for GSI members moving forward.

Money in general - Strongman and other strength sports are thriving.  Personally coming from a Strongman background, I can tell you that most competitors are not highly-compensated professionals in their personal lives, and money can be a personal holdup.  Nevertheless, ranks are swelling and the sport is growing rapidly, while charging more annually and per competition than Grip.  Much of that is due to the resources they're able to allocate back to events and the sport.  A lot is from the ability to leverage membership into corporate sponsorship.  We don't even know how many people are legitimately involved in Grip and so getting corporate sponsors (outside of grip implement manufacturers) is incredibly difficult as it is a question of incremental and un-traceable marketing spend - business owners won't commit to that.  GSI aims to present a real face to the sporting world, and potentially corporate world, to bring in resources to become a legitimate and recognized sport.  If Strongman can muster annual fees + competition fees from its ranks, Grip has no excuse.  GSI, in turn, will utilize all the proceeds to grow the sport, and when possible, give back to the member athletes with things like travel support, etc.

Grippers - we aren't limiting the scope of grippers to choked, certified implements.  This could include a CoC out of the packaging (or an old CPW), a table-top close of a GHP, a 20mm close of an insert-brand-here gripper, a Silver Bullet timed hold, etc.  Only certain categories of gripper events will be tracked, though (as has been done in the past).  The grip event in a competition can be an un-tracked event.  Grippers as a broader category keep the core events more accessible to more people, and cover a highly popular segment of Grip.

Guys, bottom-line to all of this, just being real, the sport is stagnant and needs an impetus to change.  GSI is that opportunity.  We need the community to coalesce around this.  Present legitimate issues if there are any, but with small things, try and overlook them with focus on the greater good here, which is a bigger sport with more resources and recognition, which ultimately benefits all involved.

Thanks,

GSI

I am 100% for the drug tests at anytime and anyplace.  Thanks for the clarification Bryan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez
4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I am 100% for the drug tests at anytime and anyplace.  Thanks for the clarification Bryan!

I support this as well. We need to keep juiced guys out of our sport 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JHenze646

Does the GSI have plans outlined for how it will support event promoters? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I support this as well. We need to keep juiced guys out of our sport 

Yes... they ruin strength credibility for everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

Thanks, Bryan, for the detailed response. I want to echo what you’ve said — that everyone should try to focus on the big picture of what we’re trying to achieve rather than on some of the finer details at this point. Most of these will gradually get ironed out.

I can confirm that the IGC has not been operational as of late.  I consider GSI to be a more formal evolution of the IGC.

I think most competitors won’t have a problem with the annual membership fee, so long as there is a belief that the funds will be used to help grow the sport. Transparency will be important.

We’ll be entering into uncharted territory for grip sport, but I think it’s the right time to try to move forward.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
2 hours ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Let me try and respond to everyone:

@Shoggoth There needs to be an understanding that a lot of individuals, like the board members of GSI, are constantly putting personal money (not to mention lots of time) into running the organization, trying to piece together a sport.  The broader community of grippers need to take part in this process.  $20/year is not a lot of money but if someone has legitimate financial hardships, we'll get a sponsor to cover the shortfall.  We don't want $20 holding someone back.  We need everyone involved, though, with skin in the game, to make Grip more than it is now.

@Joseph Sullivan @Tommy J. We're saying that the Organization may require drug testing, not that it will, first of all.  We envision this being a tool to keep the sport clean, and possibly only something to enforce at larger events like National's or World's.  In the event that testing is required, I believe GSI would cover those costs.  Again, though, I wouldn't expect testing to be conducted regularly, or to be the norm. 

@jchapman I'm not that familiar with the Grip Collective, so I don't want to speak out of place, but I believe that was a group trying to streamline international efforts and rules, but not in an official capacity.  GSI aims to be an official unifying body for various Grip organizations around the world.  I suppose there is some overlap in mission, but I also don't believe the GC is that operational at the moment.  Maybe someone else like @Jedd Johnson @Eric Roussin could address this?

@climber511 I don't believe there is a fee to list a comp.  That is via the Grip Board, and not GSI.  Anyone can run anything they want, any time they want, promoted however they want, but the goal is to get more and more people to run GSI-sanctioned events to foster a more cohesive sport.

Fees - people can still compete for free.  However, GSI will only track results for GSI members moving forward.

Money in general - Strongman and other strength sports are thriving.  Personally coming from a Strongman background, I can tell you that most competitors are not highly-compensated professionals in their personal lives, and money can be a personal holdup.  Nevertheless, ranks are swelling and the sport is growing rapidly, while charging more annually and per competition than Grip.  Much of that is due to the resources they're able to allocate back to events and the sport.  A lot is from the ability to leverage membership into corporate sponsorship.  We don't even know how many people are legitimately involved in Grip and so getting corporate sponsors (outside of grip implement manufacturers) is incredibly difficult as it is a question of incremental and un-traceable marketing spend - business owners won't commit to that.  GSI aims to present a real face to the sporting world, and potentially corporate world, to bring in resources to become a legitimate and recognized sport.  If Strongman can muster annual fees + competition fees from its ranks, Grip has no excuse.  GSI, in turn, will utilize all the proceeds to grow the sport, and when possible, give back to the member athletes with things like travel support, etc.

Grippers - we aren't limiting the scope of grippers to choked, certified implements.  This could include a CoC out of the packaging (or an old CPW), a table-top close of a GHP, a 20mm close of an insert-brand-here gripper, a Silver Bullet timed hold, etc.  Only certain categories of gripper events will be tracked, though (as has been done in the past).  The grip event in a competition can be an un-tracked event.  Grippers as a broader category keep the core events more accessible to more people, and cover a highly popular segment of Grip.

Guys, bottom-line to all of this, just being real, the sport is stagnant and needs an impetus to change.  GSI is that opportunity.  We need the community to coalesce around this.  Present legitimate issues if there are any, but with small things, try and overlook them with focus on the greater good here, which is a bigger sport with more resources and recognition, which ultimately benefits all involved.

Thanks,

GSI

I have no problem paying 20 bucks to further this sport. If it somehow helps make things be more official and legitimize it, add prizes and exposure, I am all for it. I’m sure a lot of others would be too. It takes money to make something grow or become bigger than it is. 20 bucks is not much money if it’s contributing to something we love. We spend money on frivolous things all the time. We spend our money on what we value. I value this, so I’ll spend the 20!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan

Also, some  athletes  are putting in massive amounts of free time to organize, update, keep records, arrange awards, and many things we don’t see that s most likely coming out of their own pockets. I would like to thank them for that. To go to work everyday, have a family, and devote precious free time to this is great for us all. Thank you very much. You all know who you are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon

Who is currently on the GSI committee?  The last round of NAGS appointees?  Thx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

^The current roster includes Bryan Hunsaker, Jedd Johnson, Florian Kellersmann, Allen Heineck, Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen, and Eric Roussin. Basically, it started off with NAGS committee members and expanded to include a few overseas members to ensure better global representation.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0
2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

^The current roster includes Bryan Hunsaker, Jedd Johnson, Florian Kellersmann, Allen Heineck, Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen, and Eric Roussin. Basically, it started off with NAGS committee members and expanded to include a few overseas members to ensure better global representation.

Thomas Inch would have been very impressed with that roster💪💪💪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Forgive me if already asked and answered:  When will this start?  Do we have to be a member for KK or Gripmas for our lifts to be included? 

 

On the money thing, it isn't just promoters who are putting extra money out for contests.  I do 10 - 15 hour round trips to compete depending on if it is Jedd's or Chris's .  Hotel bills, etc.  Every contest I do, there is $100 - $200 in extra cost on top of the entrance fee.  $20 isn't going to make a difference either way for me, but as someone who has promoted contests, I can tell you that it costs way more for me to compete in someone else's contest than it does for me to pomote one.  We all do this for fun, and compared to some sports it's a pretty cheap hobby (believe that from a former bad hockey player), but to some people, $20 on top of travel and entry fees might be enough to say, "I'll just stay home and watch curling or college football this Saturday.  Especially people who are thinking about just giving it a try for the first time.  You are essentially adding 50% - 100% to the entry fee for someone looking to see if they might like something.  May or may not be a deal breaker.  Maybe a one time freebie for your first contest? 

 

You can test me any time you want, but if we want to draw in high end amateur (or pro) strongmen into our sport, you might want to rethink the testing.  I've never once come within shouting distance of a lift that someone would yell PEDs :laugh, but there are quite a few people out there that have competed for years in grip sport while taking some extremely strong supplements.  This one may end up contracting the sport instead of expanding it.  May even lose some of the stars of our sport.  Not saying that's good or bad, but every action has intended and unintended consequences, which need to be thought through.  Just a thought.  Like I said, no dog in this fight as I have the T levels of a 13 year old girl at my age.  But if you start testing for creatine...  I'M OUT!!!  :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryan Hunsaker

@JHenze646 Support will depend on the resources we have available.  I envision it trickling down, with primary support going to Nationals/Worlds, and prizes or athlete support there.  But there is discussion in holding official regional qualifiers, and I know we'd like to get involved in helping that level of promotion as well.  Hopefully this initial level of support from the community is conducive to corporate sponsorship, as well, allow us to further our reach.  This is a non-for-profit organization, and the goal is to funnel the money back to the support base wherever practically possible. 

@Eric Roussin Thanks for your comments and clarifications.

@Joseph Sullivan@Chez@Kluv#0 Thanks for your words of support!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.