HG 250 - Adequate Stepping Stone for CoC 2.5?

Onerepman

I've ordered a HG 250 since the average RGC is 120 lbs. I felt that this would be useful to help me close the CoC 2.5 (I'm currently about about 3mm away from closing it from a parallel set.) The narrower set and the less aggressive knurling on the HG 250 makes it ideal for greasing the groove. I'm currently able to get about 3 clean reps with the HG 250 fresh out of the package. What is the general consensus here about this?

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Yeah everything you said makes sense!  🤗

(if you have something under the HG250, start filing it immediately)

Awesome man. I'm glad my newbness in grip sport is starting to wear off (started in March haha.) Which filed gripper would you recommend to help me get from a CoC 2 to a CoC 2.5? I was actually looking at your website and was considering ordering a filed No. 2 to do BTR training. 

On another note, when will you be listing more choked grippers? I'd definitely like to buy one of your choked No. 3 grippers.

Because of the painted spring of the hg250, don't be surprised if after a few reps it gets easier. Chest crush it 20 times and then oil it. Wd40 is fine, or 3 in 1 oil, anything really. You should be able to file that a little bit at a time and be good for a while. If you can consistently close it for multiple reps, file a bit more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wobbler said:

Because of the painted spring of the hg250, don't be surprised if after a few reps it gets easier. Chest crush it 20 times and then oil it. Wd40 is fine, or 3 in 1 oil, anything really. You should be able to file that a little bit at a time and be good for a while. If you can consistently close it for multiple reps, file a bit more.

@Onerepman  Yeah, this ^^^

You likely don't need another gripper.  Just start filing one you have, like the HG250.  Just a little to start and more over time.  It doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to close farther.  (I feel like both farther and further are applicable here which is unusual.  I'm choosing to think in terms of distance.)  I think HGs are GREAT for this kind of abuse because the buy-in is lower.  They are workhorses that just want to be used up. 

If you get a filed gripper from us, it's filed a lot all at once.  You could go that route if you 1) want to spend the money and 2) already know you are good for 5+ reps on a #2. 

Regarding the chokers, we should have more still this month, of which there are a few extra which will be posted on the site.  Watch social media for an announcement about those going up.  They usually sell pretty quick.  If you don't get what you want, email us at info@cannonpowerworks.com and we can reserve what you want for the next round. 

59 minutes ago, Onerepman said:

What can I use to file my gripper?

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky....... but use a file.  :inno

Aluminum is soft.  It will "gum up" things that are not made to work on aluminum, but unless you have some expensive grinder disks or something, it doesn't really matter.  Some 100 grit sand paper will work just fine.  Just start taking off the inside edge of ONE handle right were it touches at the close.  A little at a time.  All that matters is that the gripper can close slightly farther.  You're not trying to take off a ton all at once.  Just do more over time as you get stronger.

I would take a sheet of sand paper (or the file) and place that on a flat working surface, near the edge.  Then rub the gripper on it (instead of the other way around).  I think it's easier to "file" a flat spot that way.  You'll get a more rounded-over effect otherwise, which is totally fine, but I think it's easier to go the other route.

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky....... but use a file.  :inno

You know, I felt that a file would be the "duh" solution. But I was deceived by the sturdy-ness of the handles and thought that a file might not work. Thanks for your help man! I'll file my HG 250 and crush the CoC 2.5 soon!

49 minutes ago, Onerepman said:

You know, I felt that a file would be the "duh" solution. But I was deceived by the sturdy-ness of the handles and thought that a file might not work. Thanks for your help man! I'll file my HG 250 and crush the CoC 2.5 soon!

Sweet.  Just go slow.  You want to still be able to close it.  If you file the gripper then fall short of closing it, then you're not really training "beyond the range". 

19 hours ago, Cannon said:

Sweet.  Just go slow.  You want to still be able to close it.  If you file the gripper then fall short of closing it, then you're not really training "beyond the range". 

It's my first time filing, thus I don't know if this is an adequate amount filed off the gripper. What do you think?

IMG_20180921_123815.jpg

IMG_20180921_123835.jpg

On 9/20/2018 at 7:39 AM, Onerepman said:

I've ordered a HG 250 since the average RGC is 120 lbs. I felt that this would be useful to help me close the CoC 2.5 (I'm currently about about 3mm away from closing it from a parallel set.) The narrower set and the less aggressive knurling on the HG 250 makes it ideal for greasing the groove. I'm currently able to get about 3 clean reps with the HG 250 fresh out of the package. What is the general consensus here about this?

Do you do any other weights or dumbell work? I noticed that I too was very close to closing the 2.5 this last month or so and when I started some bicep and chest sets with dumbells my strength jumped and was able to close the 2.5 easily. Just a thought.

Ghp5 is a good in between gripper too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kasparov said:

Do you do any other weights or dumbell work? I noticed that I too was very close to closing the 2.5 this last month or so and when I started some bicep and chest sets with dumbells my strength jumped and was able to close the 2.5 easily. Just a thought.

Ghp5 is a good in between gripper too.

Yeah I powerlift as a hobby. Have pretty respectable numbers for the main three lifts. I'll likely be able to close the No. 2.5 within the month. I just bought it recently and am only about 2 mm away from a full close from my first time trying it.

As far as the GHP grippers go, I prefer them solely for low rep work (more than 5 reps on any of my GHP grippers absolutely destroys my hand due to the knurling.) My GHP 5 is rated at 111 RGC; whereas my current strength level is likely between a 120 and a 125 RGC crush. Thus the level 5 is too easy for me to get any real benefit from it.

On a side note, have any idea why that specific dumbbell work did wonders for you for closing the 2.5?

Edited by Onerepman
Grammatical errors

16 hours ago, Cannon said:

Looks good!  All that matters is that 1) it closes farther and 2) you can still close it. 

Is it normal for Heavy Grips to gradually become more narrow with use? I notice that the handles are a lot more closer together than when I first got 'em.

10 hours ago, Onerepman said:

Yeah I powerlift as a hobby. Have pretty respectable numbers for the main three lifts. I'll likely be able to close the No. 2.5 within the month. I just bought it recently and am only about 2 mm away from a full close from my first time trying it.

As far as the GHP grippers go, I prefer them solely for low rep work (more than 5 reps on any of my GHP grippers absolutely destroys my hand due to the knurling.) My GHP 5 is rated at 111 RGC; whereas my current strength level is likely between a 120 and a 125 RGC crush. Thus the level 5 is too easy for me to get any real benefit from it.

On a side note, have any idea why that specific dumbbell work did wonders for you for closing the 2.5?

I'm not sure, probably just increased my overall strength a little, and gave my forearms some extra power. You'll probably close the 2.5 very soon. Did you try and other COC grippers before the 2.5 or just jumped straight to the 2.5?

If you did that's some great strength right there. :)

1 hour ago, kasparov said:

I'm not sure, probably just increased my overall strength a little, and gave my forearms some extra power. You'll probably close the 2.5 very soon. Did you try and other COC grippers before the 2.5 or just jumped straight to the 2.5?

If you did that's some great strength right there. :)

Oh nah I wish. I started off in March not being able to close a 0.5 CoC (though this was mostly due to lack of setting technique, as I was able to parallel close the No. 2 after about 10 days.) Since the No. 2 however my progress slowed down drastically. Couldn't just jump from a No. 2 to a 2.5. Been playing around with my GHP 5 and decided on getting the Heavy Grips to be my work horse so that I may finally close that damned 2.5.

GHP's are definitely easier now days. I don't think the GHP5 is a good bridge to the #2.5's anymore. Most of the GHP5's are in the low 110's and even lighter than that now and they have much better knurling making them easier to close than COC's.

I think the best grippers to bridge the gap between #2 and #2.5 now days are the RB210. Then there's also the RB Spectrum's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onerepman said:

Is it normal for Heavy Grips to gradually become more narrow with use? I notice that the handles are a lot more closer together than when I first got 'em.

Yeah.  Totally normal.  This happens with all brands a little, but seemingly more-so with HG.

Get your grippers rated...i know someone posting here that does that!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onerepman said:

I have an old HG200 that is almost an inch smaller than when new, but the difference is slight on my ghp.or coc grippers. They're just not made as well which makes them great workhorse grippers.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 9:46 AM, Lucasraymond said:

Get your grippers rated...i know someone posting here that does that!! 

Haha yeah I actually had him rate 6 of my grippers. It's very useful knowing what RGC I'm able to crush at the moment. And the rating tags look very elaborate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1