Which thickbar event best of these?

Kluv#0

Hello, wanted to try different Thickbar and selection process for my contest(OSH'19). I have narrowed my Thickbar event selection down to 4 great implements- which would you select? 2 3/8" Napalms Nightmare, ATB (Griptopz),  1 hand IM axle DL,  or IM axle. I will use implement  most chosen. Thanks

Edited by Kluv#0

I like the NN 2 3/8 out of those for a contest. It tests both hands and it’s less strain on the back. Only issue is that shorter competitors have trouble reaching the height required for the pull so you’ll need to have something for them to stand on.

• Like 1

NN is at 2 3/8" and the others are 2".  It's no big deal but that's kind of apples to oranges with the size difference.  A Napalms Nightmare at 2" would be a more fair comparison I think and would be a good event with little to no back strength limitation component.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Hello, wanted to try different Thickbar and selection process for my contest(OSH'19). I have narrowed my Thickbar event selection down to 4 great implements- which would you select? 2 3/8" Napalms Nightmare, ATB (Griptopz),  1 hand IM axle DL,  or IM axle. I will use implement  most chosen. Thanks

My vote is between nightmare and axle. I have grown to love the axle and the nightmare and have trouble choosing between the 2

Of the ones you've listed, I vote Napalm's Nightmare. But I suggest giving more weight to the feedback you get from the people who attended this year's OSH.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I would also choose Napalm's Nightmare because it is easy to run a contest with it.  I think that the 2" version is more user friendly for small handed people. 

• Like 1

💪 high quality gripsters who gave their input - Thanks. Napalms Nightmare 2 3/8” will be the thickbar event @OSH’ 19

• Like 2

Just saw this.  That's great to hear - thank you for everyone who voted for the NN.  As someone who has supported Grip Sport since 2003, it's nice to see the implement I came up with get such praise.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Just saw this.  That's great to hear - thank you for everyone who voted for the NN.  As someone who has supported Grip Sport since 2003, it's nice to see the implement I came up with get such praise.

I still cant believe how magnanimous you were not entering NAGS '18- seeing you stroll over to the NN 2 3/8" and smoke 400lb was typical of the G.O.A.T.

Not that it matters now but I'm a fan of axle and NN.  Big Jason ran the 2" NN in his contest in June and weights can get up there pretty high if you have a strong gripster competing.   I think you made a good choice with the 2 3/8" since that will make the weights more manageable.   Plus it's super fun to use. 

Also totally correct on needing something for shorter folks to stand on.  We used plates for ones who needed it or just wanted to change the leverage a bit. But it was definitely necessary for some to hit the crossbar.   

We do need an axle event eventually in the NW though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RagingTrain said:

Not that it matters now but I'm a fan of axle and NN.  Big Jason ran the 2" NN in his contest in June and weights can get up there pretty high if you have a strong gripster competing.   I think you made a good choice with the 2 3/8" since that will make the weights more manageable.   Plus it's super fun to use. 

Also totally correct on needing something for shorter folks to stand on.  We used plates for ones who needed it or just wanted to change the leverage a bit. But it was definitely necessary for some to hit the crossbar.   

We do need an axle event eventually in the NW though. 

Thanks Matt. Jason is the biggest dude I have ever seen in person- very strong . Good point about the blocks I will allow that for shorter competitiors only as I have found it easier when I tried pulling from blocks. I like the axle, hopefully JCE runs a arm lifting USA and has it  or you or Jason could have it in a contest. Someday, I might do a arm lifting USA but I would substitute WW for RT and have a pure wrist event -

Edited by Kluv#0

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks Matt. Jason is the biggest dude I have ever seen in person- very strong dude. Good point about the blocks I will allow that for shorter competitiors only as I have found it easier when I tried pulling from blocks. I like the axle, hopefully JCE runs a arm lifting USA and has it  or you or Jason could have it in a contest. Sonmeday, I might do a arm lifting USA but I would substitute WW for RT and have a pure wrist event -

Jason who? Steeves?  And bigger than when you met Carl Myerscough???

16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Jason who? Steeves?  And bigger than when you met Carl Myerscough???

Jason Gillen- monster of a man 6’2”-3” and weighs 375lb. Carl massive but Jason is wide as a 🏡 

Edited by Kluv#0
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Jason Gillen- monster of a man 6’2”-3” and weighs 375lb. Carl massive but Jason is wide as a 🏡 

Oh... never heard that name before. Where’s he out of? What’s he do? 

Jedd's idea and the roughly built first edition of the Napalms Nightmare I built in my garage have sure come a long way.  The new one's are so much more professionally built.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Jedd's idea and the roughly built first edition of the Napalms Nightmare I built in my garage have sure come a long way.  The new one's are so much more professionally built.

Can’t get much better with the construction and the versatility for the option ofdifferent sized thick bar handles and now PINCH BLOCK OPTIONS? You can potentially use this one device for 2 events at a comp. Talk about space saver and decreased load to lug to your venue! @Jedd Johnson and @Lucasraymond

Luke has taken the design to a whole new level.  Mine worked but was typical garage construction and only did 1.9" and 2 3/8" round.  I'm looking forward to trying Luke's model. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks Matt. Jason is the biggest dude I have ever seen in person- very strong . Good point about the blocks I will allow that for shorter competitiors only as I have found it easier when I tried pulling from blocks. I like the axle, hopefully JCE runs a arm lifting USA and has it  or you or Jason could have it in a contest. Someday, I might do a arm lifting USA but I would substitute WW for RT and have a pure wrist event -

We'll see.  JCE doesn't seem interested in doing sanctioned stuff at the moment but that could change of course.  Personally I like the monster crush (3" rollers) for wrist work.   I've never tried the wrist wrench although it sounds really fun! 

I remember we talked a bit about osh '19 but I can't recall what lifts you were leaning towards.  I know they're not set it stone...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RagingTrain said:

We'll see.  JCE doesn't seem interested in doing sanctioned stuff at the moment but that could change of course.  Personally I like the monster crush (3" rollers) for wrist work.   I've never tried the wrist wrench although it sounds really fun! 

I remember we talked a bit about osh '19 but I can't recall what lifts you were leaning towards.  I know they're not set it stone...

Events will be in order IM hub, 2HP BSS Flask, 2 3/8” NN, front sledge choke lift, SB. Also, my family wants me to get WR on Finnish Ball so I need to discuss with DH so I can have that a stand alone either at start or end as including it or any other KP inmain contest would be unfair😂 due to feedback. As far as JCE, hopefully he re-considers as he is a World Class talent in grip for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Oh... never heard that name before. Where’s he out of? What’s he do? 

He lives in Walla Walla , Wa. Small town but well- known for great sweet Onions and 🍷 for starters. I don’t know what he does other than lift heavy a@$ weights

13 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Events will be in order IM hub, 2HP BSS Flask, 2 3/8” NN, front sledge choke lift, SB. Also, my family wants me to get WR on Finnish Ball so I need to discuss with DH so I can have that a stand alone either at start or end as including it or any other KP inmain contest would be unfair😂 due to feedback. As far as JCE, hopefully he re-considers as he is a World Class talent in grip for sure.

We know who is gonna take first in the front sledge choker 

Yes you're awesome at key pinch but I wouldn't care if it was in the contest or not.  Should be your choice.  I'm excited Mike.  I'm planning on entering no matter what the lifts but I do like what you've chosen.   Strangely enough I've never trained SB.  I'll have to test it out and do some serious CoC trainer holds 😆

Joe Sullivan - Jason is a friend of mine that has been a long time strength athlete in the NW.   Mainly strongman,  PL, and recently grip.  What makes him stand out is his physical size.  If you stood him next to big Z they would be shaped the same.   Jason is lifetime drug free.   He's not world class strong but strong enough. 

• Like 1