Underserved Grip Sport Markets

Eric Roussin

Just for fun:

What are some areas in North America that  currently have few, if any, grip contests and that you think there is demand for them?

In other words, where would you like to see a grip contest held in 2019 that you think could get a decent turnout?

Pittsburgh.

who wouldn’t want to travel to the Steel City for a steel bending or grip comp!?!

as soon as I secure a venue...

🚌 Also I wouldn’t mind traveling to  say Charlotte NC or Connecticut or Indiana or Texas for a comp. (Don’t make me name names because I will)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

Just for fun:

What are some areas in North America that  currently have few, if any, grip contests and that you think there is demand for them?

In other words, where would you like to see a grip contest held in 2019 that you think could get a decent turnout?

Definitely a good conversation to have, Eric--especially to grow the sport.

I don't know geography particularly well in Canada or Mexico, but I can tell you that the southeast region of the U.S. is pretty barren as far as grip competitions go. I'm hoping to coordinate an event in Florida sometime after the dust settles from KKOG2018.

I'm not 100% sure if there's a huge demand here, but it is a densely populated state, so it wouldn't hurt to get some going and advertise.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Definitely a good conversation to have, Eric--especially to grow the sport.

I don't know geography particularly well in Canada or Mexico, but I can tell you that the southeast region of the U.S. is pretty barren as far as grip competitions go. I'm hoping to coordinate an event in Florida sometime after the dust settles from KKOG2018.

I'm not 100% sure if there's a huge demand here, but it is a densely populated state, so it wouldn't hurt to get some going and advertise.

My dad lives in Lakeland, and if your comp is anywhere near there, I would surely try to come by doubling it with a visit to my dad.  From my perspective, considering weather and schedule, February might be a good time for a Florida comp and maybe some of the people who went to Nate's south jersey "4-for-Feb" comp (that Nate isn't doing this coming year) would make the effort to head further south for you instead.  Bonus points if it happens during the week a lot of schools close in the northeast for winter break (usually presidents' week), but not sure if that's better for everyone or just us with kids in those schools.

Anyway, good luck, and I am up for trying to get to any comps within driving distance, or cheap flights at times I can do it.

2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Pittsburgh.

who wouldn’t want to travel to the Steel City for a steel bending or grip comp!?!

as soon as I secure a venue...

🚌 Also I wouldn’t mind traveling to  say Charlotte NC or Connecticut or Indiana or Texas for a comp. (Don’t make me name names because I will)

Charlotte could easily get 30 contestants...if the promoters were motivated, a lot more than that.

• Like 2

@JHenze646,  Pittsburgh sounds cool man.  Bring it on.  I would like to see some more comps in Indiana.  I have tossed around the idea of putting one together at an arm wrestling comp too.  

Edited by Adam Juncker
Not sure what happened...
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

My dad lives in Lakeland, and if your comp is anywhere near there, I would surely try to come by doubling it with a visit to my dad.  From my perspective, considering weather and schedule, February might be a good time for a Florida comp and maybe some of the people who went to Nate's south jersey "4-for-Feb" comp (that Nate isn't doing this coming year) would make the effort to head further south for you instead.  Bonus points if it happens during the week a lot of schools close in the northeast for winter break (usually presidents' week), but not sure if that's better for everyone or just us with kids in those schools.

Anyway, good luck, and I am up for trying to get to any comps within driving distance, or cheap flights at times I can do it.

That's what I was thinking, man. The biggest things are avoiding an FSU home game (since most comps take place Saturday) and avoiding terribly humid temperatures. I will keep you updated. Currently brainstorming with Jedd about running one here.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:52 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Just for fun:

How about Columbus Ohio in the first week of March? 

• Like 2

Texas has a small group of people interested in grip, but there hasn’t been a big scene here since Paul and Eric were into competition. Clay moved to Austin.....so maybe the community will grow some more 

8 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Texas has a small group of people interested in grip, but there hasn’t been a big scene here since Paul and Eric were into competition. Clay moved to Austin.....so maybe the community will grow some more 

Clay's good looks and stunning wit are going to bring loads of people into the Texas grip scene.  Look at what he did in Santa Cruz. 

• Like 1

There used to be a huge group of gripsters in Minnesota, in the early 2000's, especially Minneapolis / St Paul area that pulled from neighboring states.  That area could produce a lot of grip guys.

I may be hosting an event in late March or early April.  Location would be at my training studio, Renewed Strength LLC in Sykesville, MD 21784.  I am new to the sport but I think there is a lot of interest in the mid-atlantic region.  

John

• Like 1