Success! Horseshoes in carryon luggage.

Tom Flesher

I didn’t want to bump any of the older threads for this.

I’m traveling to Alabama for a conference this weekend. One of my old friends lives there and has two young girls (3rd and 4th gradeish) who’ve watched bending videos of me online and want me to bend stuff for them, so I had to figure out what to bring. I’m traveling light so I couldn’t check anything.

Nails and timber spikes are obviously a no go. I considered bolts (8” 5/16 grade 2s look impressive but you can do them in your sleep) but finally settled on horseshoes because they’re common souvenirs and don’t look threatening or industrial.

I put two SCFUL2s in a ziploc alongside my leather wraps rolled up and rubberbanded and a small block of chalk. I put the ziploc in a bin with my shoes etc. No one at LaGuardia even blinked.

Not sure this would work with bolts or larger quantities of shoes, but between this and carrying grippers onto a flight to Virginia last year I’ve been pretty successful. 

• Like 4

I got pulled into the special security area  for having pony shoes in my carry on. 

They were all like, “Is there anything you would like to admit before we open your suitcase?” Then all like, “Aha! *lifting horseshoes out of my bag* Do you know what these are?!?”

I think I actually asked them if they were serious.

safe travels and happy bending!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I was worried they’d claim I wanted to use them as a bludgeon or something. (Someone mentioned having grippers confiscated for that reason before.) Fun y that they’d ask you to “admit” it! That’s kind of why I put them right out in the bin - can’t claim I was hiding anything!

• Like 2

I feel like you could get away with wrenches as well but I'm not positive. Those are a fun souvenir and look really cool.

Awesome story Tom. Hope they enjoy the shoes. Great for show and tell ... if that's still a thing nowadays.

• Like 1

They apparently call it “sharing” now. 

Wrenches seem like they’d be allowable by TSA. Fortunately no one’s started a fad of bending box cutters.

You know Tom since you are traveling to distant locations to perform feats of strength for an audience you are technically now a Peforming Strongman.

And if you get any compensation for your endeavors you would have to consider yourself a professional.

congrats on the new bullet point on your resume.

• Like 4

On 9/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, Tom Flesher said:

I’m traveling to Alabama for a conference this weekend. One of my old friends lives there and has two young girls (3rd and 4th gradeish) who’ve watched bending videos of me online and want me to bend stuff for them, so I had to figure out what to bring. I’m traveling light so I couldn’t check anything.

Nails and timber spikes are obviously a no go. I considered bolts (8” 5/16 grade 2s look impressive but you can do them in your sleep) but finally settled on horseshoes because they’re common souvenirs and don’t look threatening or industrial.

I put two SCFUL2s in a ziploc alongside my leather wraps rolled up and rubberbanded and a small block of chalk. I put the ziploc in a bin with my shoes etc. No one at LaGuardia even blinked.

Not sure this would work with bolts or larger quantities of shoes, but between this and carrying grippers onto a flight to Virginia last year I’ve been pretty successful. 

A couple of years ago, I brought a "box of grip" for my carry on to Florida.  I think it had some short steel and shoes, but can't remember if it was in the box or in my checked luggage.  Security stopped me at the checkpoint and pulled me into the back room, where there were several TSA agents questioning me about the box.  In it, I had about 10 grippers, all carefully wrapped.  Most of them were rated.  I remember attempting to explain what they were and why I needed "so many," but I was getting blank (and threatening) stares.  So, I asked if I could show what the progression would be and how I trained them.  The one nodded curiously, and I took an easy one out, showed how I set it, and then closed it.  I grabbed a harder rated one, and started talking about how it was rated, and how difficult it was compared to the previous, and then started talking about the next attempt.  I distinctly remember her rolling her eyes and then giving the other one a nod, and them telling me to go.  

• Like 5

On 9/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, Tom Flesher said:

You're just a run of the mill traveling ferrier passing through laguardia with your tools of trade - no big deal - fortunately like most traveling blacksmiths, you don't bother with the luxuries of life like toothpaste or deodorant or else you would have probably been cavity searched and tazed - always next time though

• Like 2