Adding Significant Weight to Blobs

avasatu

Longer string for 2 hand obv.

• Like 1

I use a resistance band and anchor it with two heavy dumbbells. Gets heavier the higher you pull and you can add tremendous weight to a blob, the downside is that there isn't a simple way to determine the exact amount. It's easy to setup and easy on the hands.

The problem with the loop tying weights to the blob is that the weight won't be added to the blob until after you've broken ground, especially during a two handed lift, and even more especially if you are looking to add possibly 40-50 pounds to your blob. I also don't like the imprecision of resistance bands, as my training relies alot on microloading, so knowing exact tensions and being able to add small amounts of weight to objects is crucial. 

I think "relatively easy way" may be the issue.

With your specific criteria it sounds like you just need a loadable blob trainer. I don't think any other diy methods can be easy, simple, and accurate.

44 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I have a hole through mine where I can slide an adjustable dumbbell through and add plates to it. I think I have a picture in my log of it (early pages). Works great. Then of course you must have access to machines capable of such a hole.

Can I see that? 

3CCD5D85-2CBD-4187-BD53-7E3A836F30B0.thumb.jpeg.5772a8384a6ab92d700bf4b8ce22fe49.jpegYou can use a ratchet strap and a fix the weight tightly to the bottom. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Also @Adam Juncker makes loadable block/blob trainers. I highly recommend his equipment.

Edited by JHenze646
Added photo

2 hours ago, avasatu said:

The problem with the loop tying weights to the blob is that the weight won't be added to the blob until after you've broken ground, especially during a two handed lift, and even more especially if you are looking to add possibly 40-50 pounds to your blob. I also don't like the imprecision of resistance bands, as my training relies alot on microloading, so knowing exact tensions and being able to add small amounts of weight to objects is crucial. 

If you use short coat hanger to add the weight it should be up off of the ground from the go. That was what I always used and never had problems. I never added more than about 10 pounds mind you so if you go much more than 20 pounds (4-5s total) then it may be awkward or problematic to keep them off the ground. Let me know if I can help more.

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Elevate the blob on a block of wood tall enough to keep the added weights off of the ground. Stand on blocks of similar height if you think you need to.

Embarrassingly enough, I didn't think of that somehow. That may be it! 

16 hours ago, avasatu said:

The problem with the loop tying weights to the blob is that the weight won't be added to the blob until after you've broken ground, especially during a two handed lift, and even more especially if you are looking to add possibly 40-50 pounds to your blob.

This can be beneficial though.  Like lifting with heavy chains.  The hardest thing about the blob is breaking it off the ground.  It could be really effective to be able to get the lift going and then have the full weight hit on the way up.  You're still holding it at the top. 

• Like 1

I utilized a shoelace and used either small fractional plates for standard plates (2.5 lbs or so) and tied them onto the shoelace. Of course, then you just drape it over the blob. If you do this correctly with small weights and double up the shoelace, you shouldn't have an issue of the additional weights touching the ground, so it'll be full resistance off the ground. 

It does get a bit silly if you choose to do >10 lbs, though. At that point, you might as well get a larger blob. The other drawback is that it is pretty tedious to set up if you are changing weight after each set.

There are plate loadable blobs that are sold also like the one made by stronger grip

http://www.strongergrip.com/grip-gear/loadable-blob/

Just thought I'd share for those who didn't know about them. It seems like a great option for those who don't own a lot of blobs.  Its on my wish list of grip tools to buy for myself. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby