Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

Donc101

18 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

What size Crescent wrench in the medley?

I will finalize everything in January, but probably 3 options, 6, 8 and 10”.

• Like 1

I have had a couple questions about hotels.  There are quite a few hotels in Troy that would probably work you can find on Google.

You can walk to my house from this hotel: Holiday Inn Express, 35270 Woodward Ave, Birmingham, MI 48009.

I think this one is probably a little cheaper and is probably the 2nd closest one to my house. A 5 minute drive:  Homewood Suites by Hilton Detroit-Troy, 1495 Equity Dr, Troy, MI 48084. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Comp is 3 months out! We will be testing DO, Reverse, DU, Long Bar, Spike bending, wrench bending, horseshoe bending, unbraced snapping and braced snapping.  9 different type of bending/ snapping.  I updated the top post, including posting the long bars we will use: Bars available: ¾ x 40”, ¾ x 44”, ¾ x 48”, 5/16 x 32”, 5/16 x 36”

Let me know if you are coming and if you are not sure, what the chances of you coming are. I need to start getting the steel together and need to know how many people to expect.

• Like 2

I'm considering this one... I can't do any DO though.  I'll probable just come for the braced bending.  I have been hitting at least 1 horseshoe per week over the past few weeks and I find it has really helped with some shorter stuff like spikes.

@Tom Flesher, if you buy the harbor freight crescent wrenches make sure they are made in India.  The Chinese ones don't seems to bend, but the ones made in India sure do.  Harbor freight seems to carry one or the other depending on when you go.  

@Donc101, I could bring up, say, 40' of 5/8 HRS and a porta-band for everybody to mess around with if you want.  

Edited by Adam Juncker
  • Like 2

portable bandsaw

Edited by Adam Juncker

10 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

portable bandsaw

Haha! I was thinking it was some type of training device you were going to bring. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:09 PM, Adam Juncker said:

@Tom Flesher, if you buy the harbor freight crescent wrenches make sure they are made in India.  The Chinese ones don't seems to bend, but the ones made in India sure do.  Harbor freight seems to carry one or the other depending on when you go. 

So my question becomes, if I see the “India” made ones, should i stock up? And are we sure they only have one brand from india?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richcottrell said:

So my question becomes, if I see the “India” made ones, should i stock up? And are we sure they only have one brand from india?

The India ones all seem fairly consistent to me. I have not found a big difference.  Sometimes they have them and sometimes they have China.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, Donc101 said:

The Comp is 3 months out! We will be testing DO, Reverse, DU, Long Bar, Spike bending, wrench bending, horseshoe bending, unbraced snapping and braced snapping.  9 different type of bending/ snapping.  I updated the top post, including posting the long bars we will use: Bars available: ¾ x 40”, ¾ x 44”, ¾ x 48”, 5/16 x 32”, 5/16 x 36”

Let me know if you are coming and if you are not sure, what the chances of you coming are. I need to start getting the steel together and need to know how many people to expect.

Don, do you mean 5/8 for the long bars?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richcottrell said:

I haven’t seen much variation in the 6” wrenches but go for the ones that say “Pittsburgh” on one side and “Drop forged” on the other both in plain type. I grabbed one accidentally that had a more artistic logo on one side and no type on the other and it wouldn’t even budge. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

5/16 X 32 would be awesome.  😵

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

5/8 for sure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are right about 2 months out now!! I saw yesterday that @Tom Flesher is training hard and about to take down a 3/4" x 40" bar! That's a big bar and will be the hardest long bar contested. Below is the photo he posted. Message me if you are interested in coming. I need to know well ahead of time because of the need to order steel in advance. Thanks everyone! 

tom crusher 40 inch bar.PNG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

We are right about 2 months out now!! I saw yesterday that @Tom Flesher is training hard and about to take down a 3/4" x 40" bar! That's a big bar and will be the hardest long bar contested. Below is the photo he posted. Message me if you are interested in coming. I need to know well ahead of time because of the need to order steel in advance. Thanks everyone! 

tom crusher 40 inch bar.PNG

That’s a huge bar ... nice!  Not that many people bending those.

• Like 2

Some great news regarding prizes.  Camp Verde Rope and Gear is sending some really cool prizes. There is a video below showing exactly what will be sent.  A sturdy duffel bag, a steel benders helper, a card tearing training device that is like the Ugly Rubber that used to be made, some wraps, steel and other supplies. These will be great to give out as prizes.  @Tom Flesher who is coming to the comp and John Mouser (strongman from West Virginia) who is also coming to the comp both rave about training with the gear from Camp Verde. 

• Like 1

Just booked my hotel.  Will be there as long as I can train at least 80% of normal.  Been around 75-85% the past few weeks, so definitely optimistic.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buccos1 said:

Just booked my hotel.  Will be there as long as I can train at least 80% of normal.  Been around 75-85% the past few weeks, so definitely optimistic.  

Great to hear!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

What are we looking at for braced snapping?

There will be 2 options. For 4 points a 3/8" bar, probably 14" long, and for 2 points a 5/16 bar, probably 12" long. I am not 100% sure on length but it will be roughly these 2 bars as options. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don - 

Has there been any decision with the types of horseshoes?  Also, I’m not sure about the unbraced snapping.  Couldn’t find much info on it and have never done it.  

• Like 1