Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

Donc101

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Don - 

Has there been any decision with the types of horseshoes?  Also, I’m not sure about the unbraced snapping.  Couldn’t find much info on it and have never done it.  

Not sure on horseshoes yet, should know soon. The snaps are the same as steel shredder 2. Here is a video of it

• Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 5:21 PM, Buccos1 said:

Don - 

Has there been any decision with the types of horseshoes?  Also, I’m not sure about the unbraced snapping.  Couldn’t find much info on it and have never done it.  

@Buccos1, the horseshoes will be Diamond Bronco PL 000 for 4 points, Diamond Classic 1 for 3 points and SCF Ultralite 2 for 2 points.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Donc101 said:

@Buccos1, the horseshoes will be Diamond Bronco PL 000 for 4 points, Diamond Classic 1 for 3 points and SCF Ultralite 2 for 2 points.

Cool.  That PL000 is a stout shoe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

I booked my hotel! 

What area are you staying?

3 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

I’m going to be in the Homewood Suites. You?

I booked a Hilton about 30 minutes south, but am probably going to change it to get closer to Don's.

• Like 2

I received a message with some questions. I will post the answers here, in case others have the same questions:

Is it going to be possible to adjust attempts, based-upon what other competitors are doing?  I have a pretty good idea of what I will be attempting, but might attempt something more difficult, depending on placing.  Some of the bends we will be doing multiple people at 1 time.  Some we will just be going in a certain order 1 by 1.  The medley, we will probably have 2 heats. The top half of the people in the standings and the bottom half.  You will know what everyone else is doing in your heat, b/c everyone will have the steel ahead of time. We will do our best to alleviate your concern. 

Are the wrenches "Made in India?"      Yes

Also, reading the rules, say if me and someone else are close in standings and we both attempt a 3/4 bar.  He fully bends a 3/4 x 44" bar and I attempt a 3/4 x 40" bar, but am only able to bend it 20 degrees, would I be the winner (or ahead of him) in that event?    You win.

Are you still getting the HRS from onlinemetals.com?   I have not bought steel from there in a long time. I buy the HRS from a local steel supplier.  It is consistent with steel I have bought from other places.

And on the unbraced, would the same rule apply (if I'm reading it right)?  If I made an attempt at a Grade 5 reverse, and was only able to bend it 10 degrees, it would beat everyone else who bend lesser bars, and Grade 5s less than 10 degrees?  So, an attempt would count for something, as long as it was bent at least 1 degrees?   Partial bends count for DU and reverse and a partial bend of a bigger bar beats a full bend of a smaller bar.  Bars must be bent to 2" for DO

Are there going to be weight classes? Or sub-divisions?  No. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are now exactly 1 month out from the contest! After the contest, we will have a blast to celebrate a wonderful day of bending!  I am going to cook up tons of food. The menu most likely will be smoked pork shoulder and all the fixings, including coleslaw, cheesy potatoes, etc.  We will eat, drink, smoke cigars and just have a great time.

• Like 5

I have been e-mailing with Jedd Johnson.  I am pumped that he is sponsoring the event and sending prizes. We should have a bunch of cool prizes and I am working on trophies too. Thanks for your sponsorship @Jedd Johnson and Diesel Crew!

• Like 3

Im very sad I cant make this. Wishing the best of luck to everyone. Don, thank you for keeping bending alive and well. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NealB said:

Im very sad I cant make this. Wishing the best of luck to everyone. Don, thank you for keeping bending alive and well. 

Neal, I plan on having another next year. Hopefully, you will be able to come out for it. Have a good one.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Have any decisions been made on bars available for spike bending?

That is the last thing I need to descide. I am thinking about actual spikes.

• Like 1

I wish I could come for this comp but I won’t make it. I did mail a few small items though.

Good luck!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

I wish I could come for this comp but I won’t make it. I did mail a few small items though.

Good luck!!!

I am absolutely blown away by the package I got yesterday. I came home from work and there was a box with a return address to “J. Henze” I was not expecting anything from Josh. I knew something cool had to be in the box. There was a note in the box that said everything was from Josh, Nate and Brent. They would not be able to make the comp but wanted to contribute to it. The box had 3 bad ass braced bending figures made with bent steel. One doing the sweep between the legs, one doing the end of the sweep with a hip pull and one doing the crush. These are so cool. There was also a grip training implement with the shiny ball to grab. It is made very well and has the number 3 stamped on the bottom. Also, a wrapped up item that said it was for the “Mrs” That had a really nice flower made with steel. My wife and daughters love it and the daughters have kind of taken that over. Josh does a great job of designing and making things with steel. Very generous. I am just blown away by this unexpected package. I am deciding how to best utilize everything for the contest. Thanks so much guys!

9A0A97B0-FCAD-4DF1-8C1B-CD8E2E8711B3.jpeg

0C271BC8-891D-4ED5-9011-FB7B3D0776EA.jpeg

802EBF9C-8000-436E-AC59-4816374D2B0A.jpeg

E9A2D6F0-0E41-4B44-AF36-DC98B8B1B2A5.jpeg

9A751292-5867-42A1-9C8A-5A1D5DCFA567.jpeg

28C65B5E-992C-4B37-A7C7-963EB0DBDA6C.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Good luck!!!

Great work on those Josh ... very cool!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the spike bend event, we are going to use spikes from Lowe’s. The 8” spikes are mutants. Probably will mainly use the 10” and 12”.

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 1:05 PM, NealB said:

Sorry to hear this Neal.  Was looking forward to competing against you again in this comp.

• Like 2

Don -

A couple more questions ...

* For the reverse bends, are the graded bolts going to be 6"?  And are the bolt heads going to be on or cut off?

* On the braced steel snap, what type of wraps are going to be used?

Thanks,

Carl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Don -

A couple more questions ...

* For the reverse bends, are the graded bolts going to be 6"?  And are the bolt heads going to be on or cut off?

* On the braced steel snap, what type of wraps are going to be used?

Thanks,

Carl

Hi Carl:

1. 6" bolts from DHWOG will be used. Bolt heads are on. 
  2. DHWOG wraps for snap.
  • Like 1

I am changing the reverse bend to be a 30 second time limit. That is the limit DHWOG uses. That way, we can get bends done at the comp added to his lists. 

• Like 2