Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

Donc101

Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

·         Date: May 4, 2019

·         Venue: Birmingham, MI

·         $35 entry fee

·         Message Don Cummings (Donc101) if you are interested in coming

·         Strongman scoring will be used for all events

·         There will be recognition for 1st through 3rd for: Steel Bending and Breaking Champion (all events scoring considered), Unbraced Bending Champion (events 1-3 combined),  Braced Bending and Snapping Champion (events 4-6 combined) and Medley Winner  

·         Prizes: Josh Henze, Jedd Johnson/ Diesel Crew and Camp Verde Rope and Gear are sponsoring the event and have sent prizes.  I made trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall. The bending medley is the signature event for the contest and the winner of the medley will get a separate trophy. 

• I am cooking up a bunch of food. After the contest, we will have tons to eat and drink and have a blast to celebrate a wonderful day of bending!

Events

Unbraced Steel Bending

1.    Double Overhand Bending:

·         1:00 time limit. 2 attempts. 

·         Iron Mind pads.

·         Bar bent to within 2 inches.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: All bars 7" length.  All steel from FBBC: 1/4", 9/32", 1/4" square, 5/16", 11/32" and 3/8"

2.    Reverse Bending:

·         DHWOG steel and rules. 1 attempt.

·         We will use Grade 8 bolts, Grade 5 bolts, blue nails and weaker steel if necessary. 

·         Here are the rules from their page (http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html):

·         Time limit = 30 seconds

·         Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·         A bend is finished when you attain a 40 degree plus angle of bend.

·         Wraps for protection will be the World of Grip 10" x 4" suede wrap on each side of the bar, touching in the middle. 

The current World Records are here:

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/worldrecords.html#bending

3.    Double Underhand Bending:

·         1:00 time limit. 2 attempts. 

·         Iron Mind pads.

·         Bar bent to 40 degrees to be completed.

·         Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: All bars 7" length.  All steel from FBBC: 1/4", 9/32", 1/4" square, 5/16", 11/32" and 3/8"

Braced Steel Bending and Snapping

1.    Long Bar Bending

·         5:00 time limit.

·         Double wraps allowed.

·         Towel for knee/leg.

·          A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·         1 attempt.

·         Thicker bar beats thinner, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·         A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins. 

·         Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round.

·         Bars available: ¾ x 40”, ¾ x 44”, ¾ x 48”, 5/8 x 32”, 5/8 x 36”

2.    Spike Bar Bending

·         5:00 time limit.

·         Single DHWOG wraps will be used.

·         Towel for knee/leg.

·          A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·         1 attempt.

·         Harder bar wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: 3/8" spikes from Lowes. 8", 10" and 12". The 8" are mutants and unlikely to be bent in single wraps. 

3.    Bending and Snapping Medley

The medley will include:

·         Crescent Wrench Bend (10" wrench: 4 points, 8" wrench: 3 points, 6" wrench: 2 points)

·         Horseshoe Bend: Diamond Bronco PL 000: 4 points, Diamond Classic 1: 3 points, SCF Ultralite: 2 points

·         Unbraced Steel Snap (DHWOG oval nails. 1 point per snap. 4 points max)

·         Braced Steel Snap (HRS: 3/8" x 14" = 4 points. 5/16" x 12" = 2 points)

You pick which bend from each category that you want to do.  You have 20 minutes to complete all bends.  The most points wins.  If there are ties, fastest time with the same number of points wins.  Most likely we will have multiple people going at once.  This should be a lot of fun and test overall bending ability, strength and endurance! Double wraps are allowed. 

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 7

Whoa! Steel bending comp round 2 but this time in Michigan! Thats awesome Don, I'll be there!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Whoa! Steel bending comp round 2 but this time in Michigan! Thats awesome Don, I'll be there!

Great to hear Anton! I was hoping you would be able to make it.  The one last year was so fun and such a  great experience.

• Like 3

Awesome!!  I'm planning to attend, barring injury or any major issues. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Awesome!!  I'm planning to attend, barring injury or any major issues. 

Perfect!  It will be a blast. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just came up with what I think is going to be an exciting addition to the competition. In grip contests, it always seems like the medley is the most exciting part and gets everyone pumped up and cheering for each other.  I thought, why not do a steel bending medley.  We are going to combine the second braced bending event and the snap into one event, a medley. The medley will be:

1. Crescent Wrench Bend
  2. Horseshoe Bend
  3. Unbraced Nail Snap (DHWOG oval nails)
  4. Braced Snap

15 minute time limit.  There will be different pieces of steel to pick that each have a different number of points assigned to them based on level of difficulty.  You pick which bend from each category that you want to do.  You have 15 minutes to complete all bends.  The most points wins.  If there are ties, fastest time with the same number of points wins.  Most likely we will have multiple people going at once.  The specific things to bend and points associated with them will be figured out and posted ahead of time.  This should be a lot of fun and test overall bending ability, strength and endurance!

• Like 1

Sounds great - I've never tried to bend a wrench yet - always new things to learn to mangle

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Sounds great - I've never tried to bend a wrench yet - always new things to learn to mangle

Anton, you bend wrenches with the same technique you bend spikes basically. It’s a classic feat of strength that I thought would be cool to incorporate. Check out Harbor Freight. I will most likely get the wrenches there. 

• 1 month later...

This sounds awesome. I am marking this on my calendar. I cant wait to bend with you guys again. 

• Like 2

I might try for this. Simply for the underhand. Everything else I suck at so bad its not even worth doing. so i wouldnt win anything. But it would still be fun

• Like 2

Just now, KapMan said:

I might try for this. Simply for the underhand. Everything else I suck at so bad its not even worth doing. so i wouldnt win anything. But it would still be fun

Screw it man, just come have fun!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NealB said:

This sounds awesome. I am marking this on my calendar. I cant wait to bend with you guys again. 

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

It would be great to have you guys come. I think we are going to get a big turnout and we will destroy lots of steel and have a blast!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Doesn’t matter in the least, as long as you have spent some time training everything.    That is the beauty of a bending-only comp: the chance to be competitive overall, while not being the best at any style or form.  If you are decent at a few things, and really good at one or two, you could do well.  Especially with comp adrenaline.  And these things are a rarity!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Doesn’t matter in the least, as long as you have spent some time training everything.    That is the beauty of a bending-only comp: the chance to be competitive overall, while not being the best at any style or form.  If you are decent at a few things, and really good at one or two, you could do well.  Especially with comp adrenaline.  And these things are a rarity!

Well said man, let's kill some steel

• Like 1

I’m very, very excited about this.

Harbor Freight has sets of four wrenches for $11.99 here on Long Island - they have a 6, 8, 10, and 12, if I remember correctly. Maybe the 12 is a 14. I haven’t given them a go yet but the technique looks awkward as hell.

Don, I’m not sure I grok the rule for reverse bending: “The object being bent should be kept between an imaginary line from the groin to the head and not go above or below this.” Can you dumb it down a shade?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

I’m very, very excited about this.

Harbor Freight has sets of four wrenches for $11.99 here on Long Island - they have a 6, 8, 10, and 12, if I remember correctly. Maybe the 12 is a 14. I haven’t given them a go yet but the technique looks awkward as hell.

Don, I’m not sure I grok the rule for reverse bending: “The object being bent should be kept between an imaginary line from the groin to the head and not go above or below this.” Can you dumb it down a shade?

It’s nothing complex. While bending your just supposed to keep your hands above your waist and below your head.

Oh, got it. Something about the wording made me think it was a vertical line from the head down to the crotch and I couldn't imagine why that would be important. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just booked my hotel!!! See everyone there. I'll be focusing on double underhand and reverse. However, I'm really just excited to be around like minded people. I think we all should help as much as we can with drinks, food and whatever else. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NealB said:

Just booked my hotel!!! See everyone there. I'll be focusing on double underhand and reverse. However, I'm really just excited to be around like minded people. I think we all should help as much as we can with drinks, food and whatever else. 

Absolutely

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NealB said:

Hell yeah! Great news.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What airport is nearby you Don? I might need to get off my lazy ass and get back to bending if school permits it.

2 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

What airport is nearby you Don? I might need to get off my lazy ass and get back to bending if school permits it.

It would be great to have you compete Delmar! I live in the Detroit area. Keep me posted if you think you will come. It would be great to see you.