2018 September - Cross Canadian Grip Challenge - Joseph Sullivan

Hello Everyone! 

This is an account of my experience at the Cross Canadian Grip Championship which took place 9/7-9/9/2018.

This is my second Time having the honor to compete in Canada at a Venue held by the great Eric Roussin. I had been sick most of the week and was very worried about how I would fare at this competition. I was slated to arrive the night before to stay at my friend Justin Major’s house so I did not have to go arrive early in the morning the day of the competition venue. Special thanks to Justin!! He took me to an arm wrestling practice where I had the great experience of meeting and actually locking up with Devon Larratt! Talk about cool!! He was great!

Day of the competition I was still feeling like the room was spinning and dehydrated even though I was pounding fluids. I came there to do what I had to do no matter how I felt. First events was the gold bar which I have never experienced. Talk about a difficult device! Scored    A 63.5 on that which I was happy with! 

Next event was 2 inch crusher. This is another one I have not tried yet on an FBBC device. Managed a 220.5 and was very pleased. Went for 227.5 and got  it up but did not get nearly high enough to hit the cross bar. Satisfied yet again so the day was going good.

Event 3 was moon top. I have an arm assassin strength shop replica that I trained on. This one hooks to a cabiner rather free floating as compared  to the pin directly like the David Horne model. The type that connects to the pin was harder for me. I have gotten over 50 in training and just missed 43.5 on this device settling for a 42.5.

silver bullet was last. Have not done it since 7/14 last comp in Canada. Was satisfied with my just under 4 seconds hold as I was worried If I was even going to clamp the weight! Happy yet again!!

Next part was waiting for the results! It felt like a long time! 3 venues and 3 different days! I finally received a text from Justin congratulating me on 2nd in our class and 2nd overall! All in all a great day for me!

Thank you to Eric and thanks to Justin again for opening his home to this Yankee!

Joe

2C148160-F7C2-408F-AE51-A62BDB659928.png

E7BAC149-BF08-4692-8776-E6C2A4734087.jpeg

2BBF0856-0DBF-4356-9C4C-4FFDEB81FEDE.jpeg

A6856210-9609-49A7-8A1B-E55CAC3FEEBE.jpeg

Great job, Joe.  I love that you enjoy to go to contests.  In my opinion, that is what it is all about.  Pushing yourself and making new friends and memories.  Good stuff! 

11 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

Great job, Joe.  I love that you enjoy to go to contests.  In my opinion, that is what it is all about.  Pushing yourself and making new friends and memories.  Good stuff! 

Dude this is what it’s all about! Meeting strength loving individuals that share a passion for this! Who can ask for more brother? 

Nice job Joe!! 64lbs on the gold bar for never trying it was very,very good and 221 on 2" crusher is awesome. Cool that you went up to Canada and competed and had a great time.

12 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Nice job Joe!! 64lbs on the gold bar for never trying it was very,very good and 221 on 2" crusher is awesome. Cool that you went up to Canada and competed and had a great time.

Thanks Mike! I’m addicted to this game! Thanks for the support! So much fun! On to the next one now!

21 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Great numbers! Looks like a very strong contest.

Dude it was off the hook awesome. Eric myself and Justin were so close the whole way. Talk about a nail biter. I am stoked to keep up with such talent

Really great performance Joe with impressive numbers. Congrats on placing second against such tough competition. I plan on going to one of Eric’s comps next year. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Really great performance Joe with impressive numbers. Congrats on placing second against such tough competition. I plan on going to one of Eric’s comps next year. 

Thanks Chez! Means a lot buddy! Yes it was a tough field. No slouches here! To be the meat in an Eric and Justin sandwich is definitely awesome! Haha! 2nd place!!!! Mega comp?? I’ll take it!

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks Chez! Means a lot buddy! Yes it was a tough field. No slouches here! To be the meat in an Eric and Justin sandwich is definitely awesome! Haha! 2nd place!!!! Mega comp?? I’ll take it!

Not loving the image that just conjured but I know you meant on the leaderboard ... and dang, yes, those numbers, all around.  Wow.

19 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

And 42 on the moontop?  SICK!!!

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Not loving the image that just conjured but I know you meant on the leaderboard ... and dang, yes, those numbers, all around.  Wow.

Hahahaha too funny!!! 🥪 

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude I was expecting closer to 50. Was disappointed with that 

I don't know that anyone has ever done 50 on that, but seeing as you won that event for the whole meet, I'd say a bit of pride is fair even if you did better in practice.  Love to see a vid of 50 if you do it -- I think I maxed a little over 30 on that, I know I missed 40, and it is humbling!  The dube cube lifts have similar humbling effect and are also quite fun.  Christmas list for the both of them!

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't know that anyone has ever done 50 on that, but seeing as you won that event for the whole meet, I'd say a bit of pride is fair even if you did better in practice.  Love to see a vid of 50 if you do it -- I think I maxed a little over 30 on that, I know I missed 40, and it is humbling!  The dube cube lifts have similar humbling effect and are also quite fun.  Christmas list for the both of them!

I’ve already done 50 don’t have that on video though... here is around 48

Edited by Guest