Wimpy newb training log

Drygord

Today I did hammer curls for the brachioradialis: 13, 12 then 10 reps using 28lbs (25+dumbell weight). Used towels to wrap around handles to get a thicker grip. Wanted to do more volume but trying to ease into my new program.

Thors hammers with a 5lb dumbell on the weighted end, with a clamp setting the weigh a little out from handle. Did 3 sets of 12-15 reps rotations, radial flexion, 30ish reps with ulnar flexion. (Correction: 2.5 lbs xd it's not called wimpy newb for nothing).

Got a good tight pump deep in the forearm. Not as surface as level as the other grip stuff I do. Good stuff. 

Edited by Drygord

after a rest yesterday, worked on wrist flexion and extension today.

I did 4 cycles of the following: wrist extension with 7.5lbs (+3lb dumbell) 20-30 reps, wrist flexion with 28 lb dumbell 15-21 reps, gripper closes 30 reps, upside down gripper closes 30 reps. Held for 30 seconds on final cycle.

Wrist flexors are packed with blood. Hard to type right now. Hoping i can get those 14 inch forearms in a couple of years!

4 sets of 13 reps using 17.5 pounds on reverse curls. These were very hard. I either have very weak extensors or a very weak brachioradialis. I think it's the extensors. Also felt a little wrist discomfort and clicking so might phase these out of my program and just train extensors on their own and hammer curls.

So today i ended up doing 4 sets of 10 hammer curls using 27.5 (30.5 with the dumbells. For now on i will just exclude the dumbbells). Felt a lot better than reverse curls and I think I will do them from now on.

Was half asleep and felt my forearms as thick meaty chunks. Woke up and they're back to sticks 😕 

Anyone else ever experience this most peculiar hallucination when trying to gain mass?

Edited by Drygord

Just flexed in the bathroom mirror. 

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think these mofos are thicker!

For the record, I did 3 workouts before I started posting here. One was reverse curls with 15lbs, wrist extensions, thors hammers and gripper work. The other was isometric hangs off a super thick bar, with wrist flexed near 90 degrees. The third was gripper work in the morning and evening. So we are looking at 4+3 workouts or about 7 workouts over 2 weeks. Hmm- maybe I did get some gains?

Edited by Drygord

Did some active recovery today. Light towel wringing - 2 times in each position, maybe 8 full wrings. Then 5 minutes of towel rolling. Extensors feel sore from yesterday- maybe the reverse grip curls are worth doing: just gotta use lighter weights maybe 10 or 12.5

Edited by Drygord

Only slept 5 hours last night and had the runs in the morning, wasting all that good dinner I was supposed to recover with. Energy has been very low in turn. Did some calisthenics.

Forearms don't feel 100%, but this is normally where I start slacking and making excuses that I need more recovery and so decided to just work through it. Did Thor's hammers with the 5 pound plate. Man these were a lot harder than the 2.5s. 

rotations: 7,5, 5

radial: 15, 15, 15

ulnar: 30, 30, burnout (45-50)

Whew. Forearms are marshmallows.

Edited by Drygord

Today will probably be a rest day- just to allow the tendons to adapt to this new superhuman forearm strength. I know, my dear fans, I am just as dissappointed as you are!

Still felt like resting today, but went ahead with my workout. Did wrist curls with 30lb DB - 4 sets of 20, and wrist extension with 10lb- 4 sets of 30. Left extensors definitely showing their relative weakness to the right as they exhausted at about 22 reps, really had to push for 30 on the left. And right side i could do 38 on the last set.

Feeling fatigue, gonna make a forecast for the next couple weeks: continued tiredness and possible loss of strength or reps. But then a breakthrough if I keep pushing. Of course im gonna stay positive throughout but i know my system and can sense the resistance to change kicking in lmao.

Edited by Drygord
dead link

Couldn't bring myself to do my working set of hammer curls today. Maybe the australian pullups i did yesterday fatigued my brachioradialis.

Opted for some gripper work, 20 reps alternating hands, then 20 reps upside down, 5 working sets or 200 closes on each hand.

Tried reverse curls with 10 lbs and they felt like 20. On the bright side, discovered a form that really works for me: i just externally rotate my shoulders and pull the weights directly up the side. I REALLY felt these in the brachialis. Left side seems more pumped than the right, hopefully i find the reason why. Did 4 sets of 20 reps

Thors hammers again with the 5 lb plate. Sought to get more reps. 

rotations: 8, 15, 13, 11. I changed to a standing position and suddenly jumped from 8 reps to 15. 

radial: 15, trailed down to 13ish reps. These were probably tired from the reverse curls yesterday.

ulnar: 30-38 reps

Rest day. Did some jogging for 10 minutes. I really want to smash my working set of hammer curls tomorrow, will use the same weight but shoot for more reps. Then maybe I can progress the weight the workout after that.

Did hammer curls 27.5lbs. Really had to push to get 12 reps x 4 sets. Felt like i had strength but zero fuel, if that makes sense. Gotta work on getting better sleep.

Followed through with reverse curls. 10 lbs felt good enough on the joints, 20 reps, decided to up the weight. Followed with 12.5lbs , reps started to slow down around 15, sorta rest-paused til 20. The other 2 sets i managed to do 20.

Found out that doing a really tight thumbless grip helps with my joints doing the reverse cur

Pretty exhausted.

Light gripper day. 33 reps, fast pace, 33 reps upside down, 3 sets for 200 reps each hand. Then did 10 closes with the top 2 fingers, 25 closes with the top 3, and 42 reps with all 4.

I've decided I don't like spring coiled grippers. The asymmetrical difference of the close between the two hands due to the direction of the coil, the arcing range of motion, the way force decreases rapidly the further the handles are from closed.

Might look into some other crushing grip trainers.

Look forward to my 2 day weekend, woohoo!

Weekend was pretty decent. Forearms felt pretty recovered, but interestingly began to feel tired as soon as i started warming them up xD

Did wrist extensions with 12.5 lbs for 15 reps, and wrist curls with 35lb for 15 reps. 4 working sets.

Reps went down as i added weight so i will work this until i get to 20 reps

Thors hammers with 7.5lbs at end of dumbbell. These have SIGNIFICANTLY more torque than the 5's alone, probably due to the 2.5 plate being further away from the pivot end.

radial 7, 9, 8

rotation 8, 9, 5

ulnar 16, 16, 17

had to cut the workout at 3 sets. Muscles were fried and left wrist started clicking on third set. Will attack this weight next time.

Edited by Drygord

Finally gave in to buying a tape measure and forearms are 12 1/4 cold. A little disturbed by my stick arms, but at least I have a number to work with.

And a hilarious surprise: fatceps measure in at 15". I swear they were more muscular when I was 145lbs and they were 12.5". Fat people have it so easy 😁

Did a couple round of calisthenics inluding inverted rows, which preexhausted the brachioradialis. Went on to do reverse curls with 15 lbs, about 15 reps, then I switched to zottman curls to finish off to 20. 3 sets.

For shits and giggles, I measured my forearm pumped + flexed. 14 inches. Now just to get that while cold lol

Edited by Drygord

Wrist flexion with 35lbs, 4 sets of 15/16 reps. Flexors were surprisingly still tired from the calisthenics workout a couple days ago, which wasnt even that stressful on the forearms to be honest.

Wrist extensions with 15 lbs, 4 sets 15-17 reps. Not sure if i should up the weight next workout or not.

put in some time with thors hammers 7.5 lbs. Tried out new positions for the levers- I like them. Basically held the weighted side on the other end of the hand and did them upside down, if you know what i mean. Those rotations.. yeesh. I'd like to think I got more reps than last workout, maybe 8 or 9 per set, but they are still tough.

Received my Sidewinder in the mail. Extensor Carpi Ulnaris is packed with blood. This thing is HEAVY.

I can budge it just under maximum setting. Not bad for a stick arm