Makula53 training log

Kluv#0

29 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Great progress with the Inch, Michael!

Thanks Stellar Steve- I think about your Strength on these everytime i try- so freakin impressive your feats have been💯🦁💪

5 minutes ago, slazbob said:

I’m working on lifting this as well, great progress!

You will lift it no question about it! Enjoy the journey👍💪🙏

• Thanks 1

5/2/21 Thomas Inch Replica DB attempts x 7, ATB 5x1, WW 1x5, 2x2, 100 plate rim rows 2x 8, 5x2 Dynamic DB pullups, 1 arm rows 3 x10, extensors 4 x 5-20. I felt improvement on the INCH as every attempt was level/no tilt and my hand never left handle start to finish- which is the first time I have done that on every attempt. Although I rested yesterday, my fingers felt a bit sluggish due to going heavy on Tips on Friday. Here is photos on my best 3 attempts

INCH 33.png

INCH 1.png

INCH 22.png

• Like 1

Good progress with the inch, looks like you're extremely close to a full lock-out lift now 💪

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Good progress with the inch, looks like you're extremely close to a full lock-out lift now 💪

Thanks, Yes I feel like I am progressing nicely and getting closer. Yesterday, I actually had my wife come out and watch very early just in case I pulled a full lift,  LOL. Hope by Father's day (6/20/21) I can do it.

• Like 1

How long will you rest until your next peak attempt? How do you decide when you're recovered and ready? This newbie is trying to map what he knows of powerlifts and Oly lifts at the intermediate level to grip near maxes. Much obliged if you've got the time!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil S said:

How long will you rest until your next peak attempt? How do you decide when you're recovered and ready? This newbie is trying to map what he knows of powerlifts and Oly lifts at the intermediate level to grip near maxes. Much obliged if you've got the time!

Great question about rest/recovery! I usually take at least one full day off between "thickbar" work preferably 2 days. I do some sort of restorative work daily to get blood flow in hands most days of week- Ex. This A.M. my hands were grouchy from a tough workout yesterday so I did some light Tips Tester and extensors. Tomorrow, I will 3 sets of BWT hang on Rock Rings for 30 seconds, band extensors and light finger curls- I do that routine 5-6 days a week. I can tell if my hands are good to go by how well I type- being on computer for many hours daily and if no soreness when I do hand/forearm stretching.

As you know from your Powerlifting, keeping a log of your workouts and lifts will be invaluable. You have a superb foundation to start your grip journey- I wish you all the best!

• Thanks 1

So you're able to max potentially as little as 2 days apart (given proper rest, recovery, lack of undue stress and training base)? I realize grip is different (especially when the lift isn't a big spinal load) and so I'm trying to just suss it out. You're right about the log though - there's no method like careful self observations - and I do have a detailed one! I'm just trying to figure out the accumulated wisdom of those who've gone before. Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Phil S said:

So you're able to max potentially as little as 2 days apart (given proper rest, recovery, lack of undue stress and training base)? I realize grip is different (especially when the lift isn't a big spinal load) and so I'm trying to just suss it out. You're right about the log though - there's no method like careful self observations - and I do have a detailed one! I'm just trying to figure out the accumulated wisdom of those who've gone before. Thanks!

I misread first part of your question. I can train heavy(not max) every 1-2 days with rest. This DB is so unique and I hold it for so little amount of time perhaps is the reason I attempt every other day or so. Probably would be advisable to go after it just like a max attempt.

Edited by Kluv#0
correction

Yea - figuring the load on the FBBC inch trainer has been interesting. I need to load it to where i can get training effect - but also have methods for modifying it on a session to session basis - since it's too time consuming to reload on a whim. Easier than a cast replica over the medium term but similar adjustment skills and accumulation challenges in the day to day.

It's the only thick bar implement i have ... For now!

• Like 1

5/5/21 Inch Replica DB attempts - 10 pronated and 4 kinda diagonal/neutral- which felt better but was pretty worn by then. Yesterday a legendary grip man from Europe watched my previous attempts and mentioned to me to slow down "out of gate" due to my hand size-it seemed to help once I figured out what He wanted me to do. Finished with 1 arm barbell and axle curls, finger rolls/shrugs, extensors, IM tug weak finger work.

inch neutral.png

inch dvb gap.png

5/8/21 Original Wrist Wrench - 97 lbs held for 4.7 seconds (Not my strongest but felt strong) 1 arm rows "light", 1 arm 100lb rim rows x many, FG DB wrist curls, extensors, DB pulldowns 2 x zillion. Was hooping(yes, I can shoot very well with range at 54- have a couple of vids on YT of me drilling 3pt's with ease) with my buddies and son last night and woke up and was thinking about low back so went in garage to put in work instead of after Inch attempts. Happy early Mother's day

Original WW 97 lb HOLD - YouTube

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

5/10/21 Thomas inch Replica DB Lift- not great but I have seen many, many worse. Thanks to Jedd Johnson for his tips and inspiration and Steve Millard for ALWAYS being supportive and being one of the Baadest  gripsters in da world. No tilt(pic from start below) but was not level -However, at no point did my heel of hand ever touch/brace the DB!! Slater's Hardware Thomas Inch Replica DB 173.5lbs, 2.37-2.42" width  & 7 5/8" Circumference of handle. Will improve but this neutral angle it is pretty difficult to go higher.

Thomas Inch Replica DB Lift - YouTube

inch db lift.png

inch weight.png

INCh measure.png

no tilt.png

inch db 44.png

Edited by Kluv#0
addition
  • Like 3