Makula53 training log

Kluv#0

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I would say that is correct. My goal by end of summer is 103lb but as you know gaining a single pound on this device is a street fight. I love the device- many uses, I wish it was included in NAGS list

I need to get back to my wrist wrench.

I got 85 once and then....I stopped using it for some reason. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

I need to get back to my wrist wrench.

I got 85 once and then....I stopped using it for some reason. 

I got 80 pounds for 15 reps the other day. First time using in ages. Definitely takes a couple of workouts to get back in the groove with it. More so Than most other implements. After that set of 15 I was useless for anymore. Burns you out quick. Got 90 for 3 reps after that set and I was toast.

6/19/19 A.M. workout. Close grip max reps 225 x 17(vid below) fell short of my goal of 18 prior to start of summer but 17 close grip reps is suffice:)triceps & 71 pullups -under 400 to go before EOM. Get officlal Sorinex Saxon 3" x 4" today - yeah buddy!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

6/19/19 A.M. workout. Close grip max reps 225 x 17(vid below) fell short of my goal of 18 prior to start of summer but 17 close grip reps is suffice:)triceps & 71 pullups -under 400 to go before EOM. Get officlal Sorinex Saxon 3" x 4" today - yeah buddy!!

👍💪🙌👌

Many Thanks- Riccardo, T.L., Don Cummings, Harri, Arto, my man Kapusta, Oka. Jerome Bloom  and David Horne for inspiring me -without those 2 there is no GreshamGripper.  After being retired from KP(6 months:)- as I didn't like being thought of as just a WC Keypincher(people that follow me know I do work in other areas of grip) my son wanted me to get the WR on FB and I told him let's do it together( I knew it would be challenging as one hand is not my top strength in KP as 2 hands is stronger). Suffered 2 pretty bad injuries first part of year that  had me doubting, but my son and wife told me push forward with same determination they know of me. To share training sessions with my son and for both to get it done on 5/25/19 WOW! Hard to put into words, but would love to freeze that moment. Andrew, if he chooses to stay the course, will be a great gripster- strong and has huge hands much bigger than mine and he just turned 13! He loves grippers the most:) My WR will last until August but the Great Thomas Larsen(T.L.) once told me even having a WR for a brief time is great! Love you K.L.T. my wife, son and A.K. Lastly, the Finnish Ball is a terrific keypinch device for all hand sizes- give it a try.FB.png.ab8d1e3280763a6620e5aae74fe362fd.png

• Like 1

6/23/19 Grippers very strong(for this cat) close grip 321lb & mini inch KP  vid below- wow, no MF wrist wraps... LMAO. Pounded Triceps and finished with 45 pullups with 210 left before EOM. I will write down my thoughts on the 1200 June pullups and in what areas I saw benefits and maybe drop offs  - expected or unexpected.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Strong benching, what is your best lift?

Thanks! My best regular bench - 420 touch n go(age 23 BWT 210)but I tore my left pec major(never had it surgically repaired) in a bad ATV accident when I was 25 and since have been using narrow bench. I did 331 in an APA contest Raw & DT class (Bench only) at BWT 216 with close grip in 2015(results below). Iam not as strong currently as I started doing grip first and other lifts are secondary at best now. To see Adrian Larsen in same meet bench 556 was awesome. His warmups with 315lb was actually scary to some extent as I had never seen a human that strong before, LOL

apa.jpg.371c55a26cddc1ed9413dfb07a14a567.jpg

• Like 2

6/24/19 went for Original WW max(vid below) and did 101.8lb - 8" pull for a small P.R. Hope I can get 103 by end of summer. Plate pinches with weight added to thumbside went pretty well and finished with parris device and heavy F.W.

6/26/19 doing some fun lifts this A.M. Suitcase Dl on IM axle & Rogue Oly bar. Vids below. IM axle 201lb attempts and Rogue 225lb left and right. Not too shabby as this only 2nd time doing these since last August 276lb suitcase DL- which tweaked my back but I got the vid and pic- yeah buddy:) Finished with 40 pullups and now have 40 left before EOM. Monday I did 125(PR) which hit me hard, LOL

1st attempt IM axle 201lb suitcase

2nd attempt IM axle 201 lb suitcase DL

6/30/19 A.M. Grip workout 2" Trilobite 211.7 x 3 top set(had not touched in long time), Timed holds(video below) 111.1 lb shallow hub(Griptopz) key pinch 5.42 seconds!! On lightly chalked hub. Finished pullup personal challenge at 1,372. I will have a detailed report of my thoughts, etc on the month long pullup challenge in next couple of days.

42 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

6/30/19 A.M. Grip workout 2" Trilobite 211.7 x 3 top set(had not touched in long time), Timed holds(video below) 111.1 lb shallow hub(Griptopz) key pinch 5.42 seconds!! On lightly chalked hub. Finished pullup personal challenge at 1,372. I will have a detailed report of my thoughts, etc on the month long pullup challenge in next couple of days.

That’s because you are doing all the right things, that work the meat and potatoes. No need to mess with all the oddball thing when you have the big things covered! Like Hannibal Smith says.... I love it when a plan comes together!

34 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s because you are doing all the right things, that work the meat and potatoes. No need to mess with all the oddball thing when you have the big things covered! Like Hannibal Smith says.... I love it when a plan comes together!

Nice A-Team leader reference!! I enjoyed watching that show. I agree with you, as this month has been very basic but my strength in many areas is beyond PR territory. I do like the occasional oddball lifts- Ha Ha( 2 hands shallow hub KP). Thanks for checking in big man.

Edited by Kluv#0
syntax

2 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Nice A-Team leader reference!! I enjoyed watching that show. I agree with you, as this month has been very basic but my strength in many areas is beyond PR territory. I do like the occasional oddball lifts- Ha Ha( 2 hands shallow hub KP). Thanks for checking in big man.

Less is definitely more, bro. I trained the least amount before nationals and did the best, numbers wise, then I have in by previous comp. You know what I was doing, lift wise.... and it worked.

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Less is definitely more, bro. I trained the least amount before nationals and did the best, numbers wise, then I have in by previous comp. You know what I was doing, lift wise.... and it worked.

Joe, you crushed it at Nationals-very impressive numbers lifted. You left zero doubt you are one of the best all-around gripsters. Your 214lb on Euro without even training for it is siick.  Iam addicted to grip so its difficult to not start grabbing stuff in the gym. However, I need to rest more and continue to do less implements. Night and day when I rest 1-2 days vs day to day grip training.

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Joe, you crushed it at Nationals-very impressive numbers lifted. You left zero doubt you are one of the best all-around gripsters. Your 214lb on Euro without even training for it is siick.  Iam addicted to grip so its difficult to not start grabbing stuff in the gym. However, I need to rest more and continue to do less implements. Night and day when I rest 1-2 days vs day to day grip training.

Dude I was actually blown away by that from not training any of the events. The meat and potatoes is where it’s at. Thanks for the compliment!!

June 1,200  pull-up final report. Ended up with 1,372 total pullups. 1,200 total regular pullups(1,170 stationary bar 30 suspended bar), 172 other types - 77 neutral grip FG(fatgripz), 20 FGX(fatgripzextreme)thumbless, 49- neutral grip, 26 2" Trilobite & RT. I tossed 40ish ( ROM lacking and/or too much stretch reflex)

Days worked 22, Days off 8, highest pullup# in day- 125, lowest pullup # in day - 23. Average # per workout 62.3

BWT 6/1/19 228 BWT 6/30 226 BWT average for month 226.8

I started this personal challenge to try something new. IMO, pullups is truly a great exercise but one of the most challenging. Purpose was to get my back looking again like a Cobra and strong not max reps- although I increased from 10 solid pullups to 14, that was not my intent and my training reflected that. Why 1,200 number? 30 days in June x 40( I thought sounded challenging enough). Prior to this challenge 50 total pullups was a big number to me and would give me pause when I would start cranking them out. Midway thru this challenge 50 total was quite easy and anything over 100 was challenging.

Cardio was a must prior to doing pullups if I was not doing them after grip workout. Otherwise too much chewing on my elbows. Majority of time I would do my pullups after grip workout. Time range was 10-30 minutes with brief rest but focus on tight, full ROM reps and working the whole unit. Most sets I left something in tank- Example of pullup session would be 10 ish, 8, 6. 6, etc  with lowest being 4. I would write down with a mark any pullups I felt was not up to my standards, and toss them when logging final pullups for that session. Like I mentioned, focus was really feeling my lats working and proper elbow function. I did not want to do this challenge with crappy ROM or bunch of reps due to lots of stretch reflex.

Benefits- During the month I stopped doing BWT hangs, and all other back exercises except 2 rowing workout. I noticed during those rowing workout(s) that I was beasting which surprised me to some extent. Bicep curls- I rarely do biceps( I do pound the EFF out of my forearms) but my strict curl was very strong- had a friend tell me it was due to all the pullups I was doing- I have to agree with him. My shoulders during military press felt much healthier and snappy. Close grip - I felt my back wide enough to land a Cessna and provided I stable base for close grip.

Negatives- I did over 100 plus reps on 4 occasions and it took a toll on my CNS and I was wiped out the following day- too much at this stage and BWT. Other than that I cant think of any drawbacks.

Would I do it over again? Sure, but only 1x a year:) For me 400-600 total going forward is ideal and quite manageable. I shared some before and after pics with my IG followers and the results from first 25 days was very noticeable. I feel super strong, posture tad better and proud to do so many solid reps in a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7/3/19 A.M. workout- IM hub holds(video below) 76.7 lb. almost 4 seconds. Only 2nd time doing the hub since OSH'19. Rows(landmine & 1 arm)- many sets & reps. Strict curl 140 x1,1,1. Skullcrushers - just nasty. Extensors 6 x 10-25. Sledge & various wrist work. Finished with 2 3/8" DB DL.

• Like 1

7/6/19 day off but received FBBC 2" crusher from Chez and gave it a go- 215.4lb(Vid Below) - pretty easy- crossbar set @ 6 1/4" - Spins very well and has some "play" which adds to difficulty.

• Like 2

7/8/19 A.M. grip workout-  Had not had an axle workout since Jan 11th injury and only 3x leg workout(due to back and left knee injury)- today was a promising return. 4x1(r) 171 4x1 151 (l)Suitcase DL IM axle, IM DO axle BWT hold 226 50 seconds, IM axle DO 246 x 15 singles(1 rest) 317 single 337.5 single(felt strong mentally & physically)My wife would not be happy with me if I told her I went "heavy", IM axle rows 121lb 4x8,7,7,7(L) 10,10,10,11(R), finished with 2 hands shallow hub KP 108.3 x 3 reps top set, parris x3 sets and FW 10,15,20,25(2) Gripper goals for summertime but feel good again with low back and kinda OK with left knee. Back feels fine currently(after workout) so that is a plus- I have a long term plan so I will be going very slow with other goals first

On 7/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, Kluv#0 said:

7/6/19 day off but received FBBC 2" crusher from Chez and gave it a go- 215.4lb(Vid Below) - pretty easy- crossbar set @ 6 1/4" - Spins very well and has some "play" which adds to difficulty.

How big are your hands? 

47 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

How big are your hands? 

7 3/8" and hand span 8 1/4" My thickbar strength is borderline WC no doubt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

7 3/8" and hand span 8 1/4" My thickbar strength is borderline WC no doubt

I was gonna say, that makes everything you do all that more impressive 

• Thanks 1

7/10/19 A.M.- Grippers -PR 20 MM closes x3 , DB Rows - 4 x8-20 high 181 x9, 10 (L) (R) Fat Gripz DB tosses 111lb x 23 (Vids below) and yesterday 300 x 4 Close grip my best since 2016. 17% bodyfat as of yesterday- will get lower BWT 225

• Like 1

7/16/19 A.M. workout- 331 lb. Close Grip(Vid below) BWT 223 - Best since 2016 before I started Grip. Still starting back up my shoulders and chest. Decided not to post anymore of my grip stuff, unless its exceptional, as I noticed people only view my close grip vids:( I will still post my rowing vids under the Summer of Rows 2019 Thread

• Like 2