Makula53 training log

Kluv#0

I saw that you train super early and was wondering about your pre training ritual and nutrition. I just had a son and my only opportunity to get a full uninterrupted workout is in the morning now and I'm having a tough time acclimating. If you have some free time could you pass some advice along. Thank you in advance.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Strong work!

Thanks CEO

33 minutes ago, NealB said:

I saw that you train super early and was wondering about your pre training ritual and nutrition. I just had a son and my only opportunity to get a full uninterrupted workout is in the morning now and I'm having a tough time acclimating. If you have some free time could you pass some advice along. Thank you in advance.

Neal, weekdays I do have to workout early- My wife use to massage my arms and back but now I awake 2 hours early so I use foam roller for back and lower arms, Epsom salt soak of hands 20 minutes, and Tabata Jumping jacks and Iam ready. Nutrition-Prior to foam rolling and soak of hands I have bowl of oatmeal with sprinkle of haters/jellies on it, pot of coffee(unless I do pullups and no liquid- I think it may help me squeak a 1/2 rep w/o the extra liquid weight) during workout Rockstar energy drink and afterwards 50G protein drink with PBJ. I have traded alcohol/chew addiction for grip addiction so it is fairly easy to get motivated- although I still listen to enter sandman and going the distance prior, LOL. Early evening before workout I will use tennis ball to release tightness in hands and lower arm and that has been a game changer. Hope this novel helps and if you want the vids on the tennis ball releases let me know- P.S. I love that extensor implement!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Neal, weekdays I do have to workout early- My wife use to massage my arms and back but now I awake 2 hours early so I use foam roller for back and lower arms, Epsom salt soak of hands 20 minutes, and Tabata Jumping jacks and Iam ready. Nutrition-Prior to foam rolling and soak of hands I have bowl of oatmeal with sprinkle of haters/jellies on it, pot of coffee(unless I do pullups and no liquid- I think it may help me squeak a 1/2 rep w/o the extra liquid weight) during workout Rockstar energy drink and afterwards 50G protein drink with PBJ. I have traded alcohol/chew addiction for grip addiction so it is fairly easy to get motivated- although I still listen to enter sandman and going the distance prior, LOL. Early evening before workout I will use tennis ball to release tightness in hands and lower arm and that has been a game changer. Hope this novel helps and if you want the vids on the tennis ball releases let me know- P.S. I love that extensor implement!!

Thank you very much for the great advice. I'm going to try some of these things into my routine and see if it helps. I've heard about the tennis ball about a year ago and use that a lot, it helps recovery big time. Thanks again for your time and also good luck with training. 

• Like 1

10/22/18 Early A.M. workout Grippers out of gate felt horrible so I abandoned and used plate loaded grip device from NY barbell- seldom used for sure:) Finnish ball timed holds with 5lb jump felt good but my KP is not in top form but getting closer. BSS flask 2HP timed holds 172 x 10 seconds, 8, 5, 3 Plate pinches- felt good but still figuring out finger placemen, etc. Parris device 4x moderate reppage, NN 2 /3" commando hangs 3x didn't time it but nice conclusion to workout

10/24/18 Early A.M. workout- Short and semi-sweet. IM axle front raise hold x2,  Military press 3x moderate, plate rear 3x, Close grip 3x, Inc. spoon press 3x. No grip for 2nd day in a row:) will try for a couple of clicks w/ GHP block & 7 tomorrow afternoon or Friday.

• Like 2

10/25/18 late afternoon workout- tried for 2 reps on GHP 7( guesstimate is around 151-152) came close 2 separate attempts- should get 2 by end of Nov. Flask holds 177.4 x 8 sec, 5 seconds, 4. IM hub 5x5, Parris SS light F.W.

• Like 3

10/26/19 Early A.M. workout- Hip belt squats 5x, hip thrusters 4x, ham sliders 4x, hip circle work and calves. Worked left hand sledge only as my right was sore/stiff as fudge after using the GHP block for the amount of total reps I did(12 hours prior workout). Best of luck to all the competitors tomorrow KK' 18!!

Edited by Kluv#0
add
  • Like 1

Image result for integrity quotes

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Kluv#0 said:

10/25/18 late afternoon workout- tried for 2 reps on GHP 7( guesstimate is around 151-152) came close 2 separate attempts- should get 2 by end of Nov. Flask holds 177.4 x 8 sec, 5 seconds, 4. IM hub 5x5, Parris SS light F.W.

Great work on a stout gripper!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Extended break- yesterday I started my thickbar training for upcoming big grip contest. I will update weekly. Today rear coin DL 16lb stamped(18.6 total) lifted over 18 1/2" Handle length 32 1/2"

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

What you up to?

I sent you a message

week of November 11-16th. Focusing on training my son with grip and getting stronger glutes and traps. Nothing great other than my back is intact after this A.M. IM axle 337 x 4 - I weighed as my plates add up to 3 lbs more so wanted to show that. Love you AT

• Like 2

week of 11/18-23- working hard on glutes, wrists and back. Below vid IM axle 357lb x2 ish SS IM hub 70lb x2

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

week of 11/18-23- working hard on glutes, wrists and back. Below vid IM axle 357lb x2 ish SS IM hub 70lb x2

Very nice on the axle. We are very close on this one. 💪 I tried 385 the other day and just couldn’t get it. I’m gonna dabble with some pulls off of cinder blocks. 400 from the floor  is right around the corner. I’ll pull 400 from blocks to speed up the pace. That’s one thing I’ve never really dabbled in.

40 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Very nice on the axle. We are very close on this one. 💪 I tried 385 the other day and just couldn’t get it. I’m gonna dabble with some pulls off of cinder blocks. 400 from the floor  is right around the corner. I’ll pull 400 from blocks to speed up the pace. That’s one thing I’ve never really dabbled in.

Thanks Joe, I think you are right about the same pulls right now. Iam still not 100% committed to the heavier DL(due to sciatica recovery) but obviously getting better:) I have been doing 3" axle holds and that has been good for me maybe try it out, too

22 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks Joe, I think you are right about the same pulls right now. Iam still not 100% committed to the heavier DL(due to sciatica recovery) but obviously getting better:) I have been doing 3" axle holds and that has been good for me maybe try it out, too

Yea man I can feel the back and left sciatica from my lumbar fusion with axle. Whether it’s an axle or a standard bar, anything over 350 is felt a lot.  I am trying to isolate my glute with basic rehab activation to minimize my sciatica I feel from it. To me, axle is something that should be done if we are serious about grip. It’s like the most basic, primal test of strength that I want to be capable of. I will be very happy when 400 is attained. Sometime in the new year!

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

I only used the Titan fitness 3 inch bar once or twice when I first got it. How have you been utilizing it in your training? Sets? Reps? Frequency?

40 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea man I can feel the back and left sciatica from my lumbar fusion with axle. Whether it’s an axle or a standard bar, anything over 350 is felt a lot.  I am trying to isolate my glute with basic rehab activation to minimize my sciatica I feel from it. To me, axle is something that should be done if we are serious about grip. It’s like the most basic, primal test of strength that I want to be capable of. I will be very happy when 400 is attained. Sometime in the new year!

You will get 400 for sure. I just want a P.R. of 381 and I will be very proud! Here was my 377 lb attempt this A.M. - still very cautious off the ground

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I only used the Titan fitness 3 inch bar once or twice when I first got it. How have you been utilizing it in your training? Sets? Reps? Frequency?

I rotate thumbless and regular holds along with 5x2 DO DL after IM axle work. Just 1-2 holds hold for time a week along with 1x various axle work regular DO and thumbless

Edited by Kluv#0
add

11 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You will get 400 for sure. I just want a P.R. of 381 and I will be very proud! Here was my 377 lb attempt this A.M. - still very cautious off the ground

You got nearly got that. That’s actually the most I’ve locked out. (377)

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You got nearly got that. That’s actually the most I’ve locked out. (377)

377 lb is superb!!

27 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

377 lb is superb!!

400 will be better. Gripmas is December 8th and has axle. You just never can tell though. Everyone’s axle is at a different degree of seasoning. A brand new one is like slick oil. The one we used at the Philly expo was so slick it actually felt like there was a layer of oil on it. Haha

Grip deload week- intensity and volume. "Highlights" few this week other than 327 lb close grip bench press below vid. Heads up- REI is having 30% off Metollius rock rings $20.89- great deal and device.   

• Like 3

RIP 41, HERO & Patriot 🙏

• Like 2