My daughter tearing phone books

acorn

So I'm in the process of cleaning out my training area and decided it was time to depose a pile of phone books that have been accumulating for years. I the process my 8yr old and 5yr old daughters wanted to learn how. After a little instruction my 8yr old was able to tear one about 3/4" thick with grip and rip. I didn't get video of the first 2 phone books she did or the initial tear on this one. Honestly I didn't think she would be able to do it and was surprised. In the session I did probably the thickest one I've ever done too but didn't think to get video of that either. Was a 2008-2009 Las Vegas at 2 1/2 to 3". Very proud of my kiddos.

• Like 8

while my little boys did not have a real coach like your girls did, last winter they had great fun ripping up pages of a phone book.  They were 9, 6, and 5 at the time.  

I think there is something about making a mess, and throwing paper all over the place that just hits that  "This in Fun" button in kids.
thanks for posting.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

while my little boys did not have a real coach like your girls did, last winter they had great fun ripping up pages of a phone book.  They were 9, 6, and 5 at the time.  

I think there is something about making a mess, and throwing paper all over the place that just hits that  "This in Fun" button in kids.
thanks for posting.

For sure. Interestingly Joon also told me she wants to bend steel when she was done with the phone books and we were cleaning up. Time to pickup some more steel. :)

• Like 4

Almost forgot, Joon and the little one were trying to lift Kettlebells too after the phone books. Joon the 8yr old was able to 1H thumbless pick up my thick handled 80# KB and Willow the 5yr old could do the same with 44# one that is the same as her bodyweight. Joon's was just under BW as she is already 88#. :)

- Aaron

• Like 2

I love these kind of posts.  Great stuff buddy!

• Like 2

Fantastic work from the girls, Aaron!  I also love seeing these posts.  Their one hand kettlebell deadlift strength is very impressive also.  :blink  Josie is quite the fan of double kettlebell deadlifts.  She does them Dinnie-style and it is pretty cute.  I walked around the corner the other day and she was pulling my 35lb and 45lb kettlebells (Dinnie-style) and I was like "oh crap!" and had her put them down because it just seemed a bit too much.  She only weighs 40lbs even though she's almost 5 and 1/2 years old now.  Two years ago she used to pose for pictures with two much smaller kettlebells (15lbs and 20lbs) that she would pull to lockout and then hold until she started to shake, lol.  It was pretty cute.  That was over her bodyweight by about 10lbs back then. 

She still loves and uses the heck out of the custom gripper you made her by the way.  :D

• Like 1

Watching this is almost surreal to me. I think I remember Aaaron joining the Gripboard in 2006? I think, years before that,, he had competed against a couple of top discus throwers who had come to my town (in 2006) to an annual discus gathering, and we may have exchanged PMs or emails talking about that. I think I remember him getting married and sharing some photos of his wedding (or was it engagement?) on the Board.

And now, videos of his daughters tearing phone books! It just blows my mind, it is hard to believe. Of course this kind of stuff happens all in the time in Life, but to see it played out on a "grip" forum is pretty mind-boggling

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:07 AM, bencrush said:

Fantastic work from the girls, Aaron!  I also love seeing these posts.  Their one hand kettlebell deadlift strength is very impressive also.  :blink  Josie is quite the fan of double kettlebell deadlifts.  She does them Dinnie-style and it is pretty cute.  I walked around the corner the other day and she was pulling my 35lb and 45lb kettlebells (Dinnie-style) and I was like "oh crap!" and had her put them down because it just seemed a bit too much.  She only weighs 40lbs even though she's almost 5 and 1/2 years old now.  Two years ago she used to pose for pictures with two much smaller kettlebells (15lbs and 20lbs) that she would pull to lockout and then hold until she started to shake, lol.  It was pretty cute.  That was over her bodyweight by about 10lbs back then. 

She still loves and uses the heck out of the custom gripper you made her by the way.  :D

Thanks for the response buddy!

That is awesome that she wants to do the kettlebells and I'm glad she still likes the gripper. Lemme know when you guys need a stronger or bigger scale one.

- Aaron

21 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Watching this is almost surreal to me. I think I remember Aaaron joining the Gripboard in 2006? I think, years before that,, he had competed against a couple of top discus throwers who had come to my town (in 2006) to an annual discus gathering, and we may have exchanged PMs or emails talking about that. I think I remember him getting married and sharing some photos of his wedding (or was it engagement?) on the Board.

And now, videos of his daughters tearing phone books! It just blows my mind, it is hard to believe. Of course this kind of stuff happens all in the time in Life, but to see it played out on a "grip" forum is pretty mind-boggling

Thank you for your response. It made my day that you would remember any of that. Pretty mind boggling is right!

- Aaron

• Like 1