The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test

Mike Rinderle

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Just a side note. In your older pics, your face looks like the late Mike Siegler.  One of the best pound for pound benches to ever live, and we trained at the same gym in MN, the press.

Check this video out. It was uncanny, I had to post this

https://youtu.be/CoypEjfXgUo

I could see a similarity. Never heard of him. He died? Sad. 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

I could see a similarity. Never heard of him. He died? Sad. 

He did unfortunately.  As you can see he was one of the best there is. I've never seen form like his. He was a cool guy. Gave me bench tips back in the day a couple times.  

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

He did unfortunately.  As you can see he was one of the best there is. I've never seen form like his. He was a cool guy. Gave me bench tips back in the day a couple times.  

Yea man, he looked like a machine.  A piston. Unfortunately, him dying so young was probably related to PEDs. Not worth it at all. That just my guess, and not saying it was definitely the reason,  but I don’t see the point for a few years of strength and the possibilities of an early death. 

11 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Just watched more of his videos! The 405x12 and the 500x 8 were UNREAL! All the way down and up and ZERO BOUNCE! Very impressive!

25 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just watched more of his videos! The 405x12 and the 500x 8 were UNREAL! All the way down and up and ZERO BOUNCE! Very impressive!

That 405x12 video was shot at the old golds gym in white bear lake MN, another gym I used to train at. The 605x2 video was shot at the press as I mentioned, but it also had the only 500lb lat pull down and row stations I've ever seen in my life, along with dumbbells up to 200lbs. The owners name was Dan Stock, one of the inventors of Zubaz pants that were all the rage in the 80's and early 90's

He also had pretty good numbers in other lifts, but nothing like the bench.

https://youtu.be/mwsAgLgtdZc

Edited by king crusher

I'm glad everyone is friends now.  Let's try to lift each other up going forward.  The constant I'm way cooler than u stuff is exhausting. 

I've learned one thing in my 51 trips around the son (unfortunately it took about 40-45 of them). It doesn't make me any better when I tear someone down.  And there is always... and I mean always someone bigger faster stronger (thank you Mr. Bergmann).  I apologize to that one guy who is at the top.

I USED to be a contender.  Then a WSM finalist showed me what's what.  In my defense, I never should have sold him the DVD on how to bend horseshoes. 🤣

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I USED to be a contender.  Then a WSM finalist showed me what's what.  In my defense, I never should have sold him the DVD on how to bend horseshoes. 🤣

And I should’ve ignored his e-mails.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, Snaplight said:

Apart from the handbag fight near the end I thought this was a good thread and wondered if anyone had any further thoughts regarding it. 

Going to try it again this summer and see how I have progressed/regressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think trying this again is a good (fun) idea - I won't do it in a day though.  Maybe in a week LOL.  I need to train my low back more before trying the DL part though.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Awesome .   I think as a test to include several times a year ( maybe 3/4 times?? )  its a good metric and 'reminder' to not let training get too specialized. - After all specialization is for insects!!!  It also provides a metric to gauge the question of , is the training effective.       

As a skill , similar to the fireman carry , that is relevant to life saving I would suggest maybe a basic swimming test for distance and time.   

Wonder if anyone had any thoughts on the inclusion of a Grip element??

Edited by Snaplight

I have my own set of tests I do each year - it's my "lists" and is more tuned to my personal goals.   I'm working towards a 75 by 75 list at the moment.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

I have my own set of tests I do each year - it's my "lists" and is more tuned to my personal goals.   I'm working towards a 75 by 75 list at the moment.  

I've not seen them if they are here?... care to share. 

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

4 hours ago, Snaplight said:

I've not seen them if they are here?... care to share. 

Here ya go.  I actually have maybe 3 versions of this because I lost a hard drive and had to find the files again.

Book1.xlsx

• Like 1

The more I look at the list the more I want to see this contested. I would change the plank for a 400 m swim in that case. Would be really interesting to see what body type would give the best results.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

The more I look at the list the more I want to see this contested. I would change the plank for a 400 m swim in that case. Would be really interesting to see what body type would give the best results.

By the term contested??  you want to have a contest I assume?

Any thoughts on the grip aspect??

Rope climb?

Edited by Snaplight

I think someone that's lean and 190 - 210 would fare the best.  @king crusher type body comes to mind.  Big enough and strong enough to handle the heavier events, but not so big that it hurts them on the running and endurance stuff.  When I set this up I was shooting for minimum targets.  Half the list was going to be easier for the bigger, stronger guys and the other half was going to be easier for the lighter, quicker guys.  So, I believe the sweet spot is right in the middle.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Snaplight said:

By the term contested??  you want to have a contest I assume?

Any thoughts on the grip aspect??

Rope climb?

There would be some grip aspect to the carry event. At least you need arm strength to carry something for max distance.

23 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think someone that's lean and 190 - 210 would fare the best.  @king crusher type body comes to mind.  Big enough and strong enough to handle the heavier events, but not so big that it hurts them on the running and endurance stuff.  When I set this up I was shooting for minimum targets.  Half the list was going to be easier for the bigger, stronger guys and the other half was going to be easier for the lighter, quicker guys.  So, I believe the sweet spot is right in the middle.  

I think so too but I don't know what type of scoring to use and I think that's a really important aspect when you mix timed events with weight lifting events.

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

There would be some grip aspect to the carry event. At least you need arm strength to carry something for max distance.

I think so too but I don't know what type of scoring to use and I think that's a really important aspect when you mix timed events with weight lifting events.

Do the 405 deadlift Double Overhand.  

27 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

DOH for the deadlift and sandbag for the carry event, should test the hands enough.

In what order would you place the events?

Day 1
Bench Press for max
Squat for max
DOH Deadlift for max
400 m Swim

Day 2
100 m Dash
Carry 200 lb sandbag for max distance
Pull ups for max reps
One mile run

Scoring could be calculated before the last run, so that the stronger more explosive athletes has a head start in the race, or everyone could just start at the same time. But it would be more entertaining if whoever crossed the finish line first wins the competition.

Thoughts?

I really feel like trying this out this summer. Would be awesome to get some people to try this as a competition.

12 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

DOH for the deadlift and sandbag for the carry event, should test the hands enough.

In what order would you place the events?

Day 1
Bench Press for max
Squat for max
DOH Deadlift for max
400 m Swim

Day 2
100 m Dash
Carry 200 lb sandbag for max distance
Pull ups for max reps
One mile run

Scoring could be calculated before the last run, so that the stronger more explosive athletes has a head start in the race, or everyone could just start at the same time. But it would be more entertaining if whoever crossed the finish line first wins the competition.

Thoughts?

I really feel like trying this out this summer. Would be awesome to get some people to try this as a competition.

Thoughts:  Plank was in there for ab/core strength.  Not everyone can swim or has access to a pool.

I originally did them all in the same day.  Pretty much one right after the other.  Not sure that's important though.  The order I remember was:  OHP, squat, dl, bench, pullups, carry, plank, 100m, mile.  All but the running were done in about an hour (had to drive to the track), but none were max efforts.  Just hitting the minimum number set.  So spreading it out might make more sense if we're trying to hit max attempts.

How do you plan to score it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Okay I'm on the board, did some of those before that 365x10 deficit pull.

No chalk extra bonus points  lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Okay I'm on the board, did some of those before that 365x10 deficit pull.

No chalk extra bonus points  lol

Dude... you look like a gymnast half your age.  No homo (not that there is anything wrong with that).  Nice lift!

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Dude... you look like a gymnast half your age.  No homo (not that there is anything wrong with that).  Nice lift!

Thanks haha. I genetically have a small waist so that helps