Jump to content

The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test


Mike Rinderle

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you can deadlift 405 without straps, you have enough grip strength to close a #2 if someone shows you how to do it properly.  Believe me when I tell you I understand the loooooooooong time ago part.  HAHAHAHA

I made sure to wear sleeves on my calves because that's what I usually injure running.  The fact that it was 84 degrees and humid outside helped too.  I was still a little warm from the lifting too.  I jogged a little before hand, but not much of a warm up.  I didn't try to explode out of the start.  That's where I worried about blowing something out.  I tried to ramp up over the first 10 meters.  Probably cost me a second, but better than tearing something.

Sledge, sled, carries... anything that combines strength and cardio is awesome.  Killing two birds with one stone is always a good thing in my book.  My favorie is sex.  A. it's fun.  B. there's a goal at the end that keeps you from stopping before you get to the finish line.  BWAHAHAHAHA

Yes sex is true... if one can last long enough for the cardio Benny’s!! 😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mike Rinderle

    73

  • king crusher

    21

  • Fist of Fury

    14

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Push press 135 Done Bench 225 – I don’t do barbell BP – I did do 60# dumbbells for 20 – not the same but all I am willing to do Squat 315 – 307# so a miss here but at least close De

So, I wanted to post this up before I tried it.  Going to try and run through the whole list in one day, sometime in the next week. I've always had this list of things I thought most men should b

Here's my plan allowing for my limitations Push press 135 - did this this morning as part of my 70 challenges - harder than I remember but still OK (actual 137#) Bench 225 - I'm not going to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That is a little weird.  480 DO is enough for me to close a #3 without training grippers at all.  When I was pulling 600 mixed, I closed a 169 lb gripper with a block set in a contest and hadn't trained grippers in years.   

Wish I had your hands then. 😄 #3 still sort of feels like brick to me, not even close to closing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

At 6' 2' tall and 200# my BMI is 25.7 - which is overweight according to the calculator.    Go look at the picture I posted of my legs on my 70th birthday and tell me I'm "overweight".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

At 6' 2' tall and 200# my BMI is 25.7 - which is overweight according to the calculator.    Go look at the picture I posted of my legs on my 70th birthday and tell me I'm "overweight".

Yep BMI calculators never take into account people that actually have some muscle... My BMI is 28.5 apparantly.😩

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Yea, they are always off for people with decent muscle mass.  But, even though I'm down 30 lbs, I still have 10-15 lbs of lard I need to remove.  I'll lose some muscle mass getting there, but 205-215 should finally get rid of the fat around my lower midsection and tittays.  Lower back and love handles always come off last for me.  Stubborn as hell.

Btw, I have no more likes to give on anyone's posts.  Apparently I have used up my allotment of love for the day.  Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
1 hour ago, climber511 said:

At 6' 2' tall and 200# my BMI is 25.7 - which is overweight according to the calculator.    Go look at the picture I posted of my legs on my 70th birthday and tell me I'm "overweight".

Haha, in fact BMI doesn't apply to people who does strength sports or bodybuilding. Since muscles weigh more than fat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

BMI was created to gauge the health of an entire population and was never meant to be used on an individual basis, it became widely used because it is so fast and simple to measure. 

 

I like the idea of this challenge, I can do everything but the 4 lifts. Of those the deadlift is the closest but that's nearing 3x bodyweight for me. I also agree with not basing this off bodyweight, an emergency is not going to adjust to your weight, being prepared for what the world throws around is your responsibility.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Haha, in fact BMI doesn't apply to people who does strength sports or bodybuilding. Since muscles weigh more than fat.

A pound is a pound. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It takes a larger mass of fat (4x) than that of muscle to equal the Weight of a pound of muscle... because muscle is more dense. It’s a density issue. That’s why you can see a 225 pound muscular guy look much smaller than a 225 pound fat guy. A 5 pound blob of fat is very large. A 5 pound chunk of muscle is very small. Fat takes up 4x the space of muscle tissue... so the 5 pounds of fat would be 4x larger than the same amount of muscle tissue... yet weigh the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
22 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Haha, in fact BMI doesn't apply to people who does strength sports or bodybuilding. Since muscles weigh more than fat.

Nope.  But in its defense, if it says you are obese, you could probably stand to lose a few pounds.  haha

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

BMI was created to gauge the health of an entire population and was never meant to be used on an individual basis, it became widely used because it is so fast and simple to measure. 

 

I like the idea of this challenge, I can do everything but the 4 lifts. Of those the deadlift is the closest but that's nearing 3x bodyweight for me. I also agree with not basing this off bodyweight, an emergency is not going to adjust to your weight, being prepared for what the world throws around is your responsibility.

Agree 100%.  Give it a shot man.  Just get as close as you can on the lifts.  Like I got as close as I could on the mile.  :blush

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

A pound is a pound. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It takes a larger mass of fat (4x) than that of muscle to equal the Weight of a pound of muscle... because muscle is more dense. It’s a density issue. That’s why you can see a 225 pound muscular guy look much smaller than a 225 pound fat guy. A 5 pound blob of fat is very large. A 5 pound chunk of muscle is very small. Fat takes up 4x the space of muscle tissue... so the 5 pounds of fat would be 4x larger than the same amount of muscle tissue... yet weigh the same.

This is why I have such a large cranium.  Needed more room for all that fat between my ears.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

A pound is a pound. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It takes a larger mass of fat (4x) than that of muscle to equal the Weight of a pound of muscle... because muscle is more dense. It’s a density issue. That’s why you can see a 225 pound muscular guy look much smaller than a 225 pound fat guy. A 5 pound blob of fat is very large. A 5 pound chunk of muscle is very small. Fat takes up 4x the space of muscle tissue... so the 5 pounds of fat would be 4x larger than the same amount of muscle tissue... yet weigh the same.

Semantics. That's what I meant...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
5 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

all good but that running  !! ok for me  as I am all fight  no flight lol

Awesome!  Can't wait to see how you do Chris!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
8 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

For me... The best and most fun cardio is rounds swinging sledge hammers. Strength and cardio/power in one move... 

You should try braced bending (snapping the bars). That's some serious cardio/strength workout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
8 hours ago, Royz said:

I'm not so sure about that. I can currently DO deadlift 480lb, but a #2 is still a hard gripper for me lefty and a #2.5 is a hard gripper for my right hand. And I definitely know how to set a gripper.  Could be that I'm just the odd one out in this respect.😉

I don't think you're that odd. I've seen and heard about quite a few people who can't do this as well. Some people are just not that good with grippers no matter how much they train and some are just incredibly good with them without any training at all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
JStepien

Would try this, but too fat

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie

I weigh 175, I'm 49 years old, I never really worked out until last fall and still not much more than once a week, and I have low lung capacity due to radiation treatments on my torso during puberty that stunted the growth of my torso (had Hodgkins' disease at age 10).  But I am getting more into fitness in the last 9 months or so, and I like to have some goals.  Yours may be a bit steep for me and impractical due to a back surgery, but here are my lifetime PRs for each item you suggest:

- Push Press: Is that just over the head straight up?  If so, 125 is about my max.  I think I can do that one.

- Bench: 200 is the most I ever did, but I probably can't do that now; maybe 180.  Maybe I will try next weekend just to see.  I am not sure I could ever get up to 225, but it may be a worthy goal to set.

- Squat: never tried to max, and I have flexibility problems and back issues (back surgery 10 years ago), so I am not sure I would max well on this.  I have tried with under 200 and found the position so uncomfortable that I fear for my back.  Perhaps some training with even lower weight would get me a form that would allow me to explore a max, but I am thinking 300 would be a pipe dream.

- Deadlift: also never really tried, but did 275 on an axle, and got air but failed at 300 (because the weight was too much for me to pull, not because my grip failed), so I think 300 would be about my max for deadlift (I also did about 280 on 2 3/8 Napalm Nightmare, and again, failed because of weight, not grip -- so I think 300 is just the limit of what my body can pull, period).

- I farmers walked 100 feet with 120 in each hand, so I am pretty sure I could carry the 165 or whatever number that was for 20 yards.

- Pull ups / chin ups: my PR might be in the 12 range but now I can only do about 3.

- plank: 5 minutes was my max when I was trying to work on plank, 2 minutes was never a problem.

- 100m: no idea, but I think I might pull off 15 seconds on a good day.

- Mile: I ran a 6:28 once in high school, 30+ years ago.  No WAY I could do that now, but maybe 8 with a little training would still be possible.

I know none of the above is very impressive, but I do have the stunted torso and low lung capacity, so I don't assume I am going to fit standard guidelines anyway.  I do have very solid forearms:  I have MMS closed a number of COC 3s, TNS closed a COC 2.5 rated 132 righty and a COC 2 lefty, broke 190 on 2-hand Euro and got air on 200 once, broke 200 on V-bar and got air on 205, did 80 on one-hand flask, and such.  As Mike said somewhere up above, the real idea would be to find your appropriate target numbers and go for them.  Maybe I'd say 125, 200, 225, 300 for those four heavy lifts would be goals appropriate to my particular circumstances.  I might go with that for now and reevaluate if I reach them too easily.  Because the real goal is not to attain your goals -- if you do, they were not ambitious enough, right?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

You should try braced bending (snapping the bars). That's some serious cardio/strength workout.

I've been known to do some braced bending.  In fact, you could say I helped write the books (DVDs) on how to do it.  :D

 

I think I'm still near the top on all of Horne's lists and the horseshoe list 5 years after retiring. 

 

bending-product-image.png

horseshoe-bending-dvd.png

Edited by Mike Rinderle
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I weigh 175, I'm 49 years old, I never really worked out until last fall and still not much more than once a week, and I have low lung capacity due to radiation treatments on my torso during puberty that stunted the growth of my torso (had Hodgkins' disease at age 10).  But I am getting more into fitness in the last 9 months or so, and I like to have some goals.  Yours may be a bit steep for me and impractical due to a back surgery, but here are my lifetime PRs for each item you suggest:

- Push Press: Is that just over the head straight up?  If so, 125 is about my max.  I think I can do that one.

- Bench: 200 is the most I ever did, but I probably can't do that now; maybe 180.  Maybe I will try next weekend just to see.  I am not sure I could ever get up to 225, but it may be a worthy goal to set.

- Squat: never tried to max, and I have flexibility problems and back issues (back surgery 10 years ago), so I am not sure I would max well on this.  I have tried with under 200 and found the position so uncomfortable that I fear for my back.  Perhaps some training with even lower weight would get me a form that would allow me to explore a max, but I am thinking 300 would be a pipe dream.

- Deadlift: also never really tried, but did 275 on an axle, and got air but failed at 300 (because the weight was too much for me to pull, not because my grip failed), so I think 300 would be about my max for deadlift (I also did about 280 on 2 3/8 Napalm Nightmare, and again, failed because of weight, not grip -- so I think 300 is just the limit of what my body can pull, period).

- I farmers walked 100 feet with 120 in each hand, so I am pretty sure I could carry the 165 or whatever number that was for 20 yards.

- Pull ups / chin ups: my PR might be in the 12 range but now I can only do about 3.

- plank: 5 minutes was my max when I was trying to work on plank, 2 minutes was never a problem.

- 100m: no idea, but I think I might pull off 15 seconds on a good day.

- Mile: I ran a 6:28 once in high school, 30+ years ago.  No WAY I could do that now, but maybe 8 with a little training would still be possible.

I know none of the above is very impressive, but I do have the stunted torso and low lung capacity, so I don't assume I am going to fit standard guidelines anyway.  I do have very solid forearms:  I have MMS closed a number of COC 3s, TNS closed a COC 2.5 rated 132 righty and a COC 2 lefty, broke 190 on 2-hand Euro and got air on 200 once, broke 200 on V-bar and got air on 205, did 80 on one-hand flask, and such.  As Mike said somewhere up above, the real idea would be to find your appropriate target numbers and go for them.  Maybe I'd say 125, 200, 225, 300 for those four heavy lifts would be goals appropriate to my particular circumstances.  I might go with that for now and reevaluate if I reach them too easily.  Because the real goal is not to attain your goals -- if you do, they were not ambitious enough, right?

I bet you surprise yourself Vinnie.  can't wait to see you attack this!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic. With a desiccated L4-L5, heavy squatting and deadlifting are things I likely can no longer do, and don't want to do, but the rest are easily doable. At one point, I could do the squat and DL, and did a 108.5 pistol squat a couple of weeks ago, so I think I'm still close to being a man, lol. 405 DL just isn't going to happen. Not worth the risk to me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie
2 minutes ago, avasatu said:

Interesting topic. With a desiccated L4-L5, heavy squatting and deadlifting are things I likely can no longer do, and don't want to do, but the rest are easily doable. At one point, I could do the squat and DL, and did a 108.5 pistol squat a couple of weeks ago, so I think I'm still close to being a man, lol. 405 DL just isn't going to happen. Not worth the risk to me.

My surgery was L4-L5, and for that reason I have not been interested in trying to develop squatting or deadlifting, and I focus on grip.  I may try dabbling with the bench though.  I bet I could do something with my chest without hurting the back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

My L4 L5 is twice surgery repaired.  But I'm nuts.  Lol

Seriously, nothing has helped my back more than deadlifting.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My L4 L5 is twice surgery repaired.  But I'm nuts.  Lol

Seriously, nothing has helped my back more than deadlifting.

Fair enough. My disc was black on the MRI, and came within 1/3 of an inch of my spinal cord, threatening bladder, bowel, etc. I've done a number of restorative programs over the last couple of years, including plenty of lower back and glute work, along with copious amounts of stretching, but, considering I'm in my 20s still, I think I'd rather be able to pee than deadlift heavy 😜. I am certain the disc has receded quite alot, but my hamstring flexibility would need to double for me to bend down like keep a solid arch the whole rep with even 225. Neural tightness is a monster to deal with!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel Blackburn
On 8/25/2018 at 10:23 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

So, I wanted to post this up before I tried it.  Going to try and run through the whole list in one day, sometime in the next week.

I've always had this list of things I thought most men should be able to do from a strength and GPP standpoint.  Things that 90% of the men walking the planet should be able to perform with some training (barring injury or handicap).  Not elite numbers, just a list of things we men should be able to perform in case we're called upon to um, well, er... be a man.  Some are easier for small guys and some for big guys, but these are kind of the minimum standards I personally always thought men should be able to do.  

Here it is and I welcome feedback:

Push press 135

Bench 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 405
Carry 168.5 lbs 20 yards
3 Pull ups / chin ups: 
2 minute plank
100m 15 seconds
<8 min Mile

I'm going to test myself against all of these in one day just to see where I stand.  If there are any I can't do, I will train my butt off to get them.

Reasoning behind the feats:

Lifting: I've always thought the 1,2,3,4 plates standard was something every man could attain no matter size.

The 168.5 lb carry: That's the weight of the average American woman.  I figure 20 yards gets you out of any burning house.

Pull ups/chin ups: minimum standard of 3 is good enough for the marines... good enough for me.  Even big guys should be able to get 3 with work.

Plank: a lot of guys can't or shouldn't do situps due to their backs, so I substituted what I considered something about as hard as 50 situps.

100 meters: every man should be able to sprint toward or away from danger.  15 seconds seemed reasonable at 50% longer than world class.

Mile run: I always considered 8 minutes to be a solid standard for a mile.  I thought about making this longer, but came to the conclusion that if I have to run away from something for more than a mile, I'd be better off not running and just fighting whatever it is fresh because it's going to eventually catch me.  Lol

I'd say that my biggest problems right now will be the presses due to my shoulder tear and I'm guessing the mile run may kill me.  Especially after the other stuff.  We shall see.

There are other things on the list every guy should know how to do, but I'm not going to be able to test them on the same day or know I'm able to do them.  Some examples are:

Be able to protect yourself or others in a fight

Swim 100 meters

Survive for a week withought modern comforts or technology.

Etc.

Let me know what you think and I'll post the results (good or bad) after I give it a shot.

My lifetime PRs for each of these:

- Push Press: 200

- Bench 345
- Squat 425
- Deadlift 600
-Carry 200 lb stone a long way
' Pull ups / chin ups: 12
- plank: no idea
-100m: no idea, but I ran a 53 second 400m in high school
- Mile: no idea, but I ran a 16:30 5k in high school cross country, so at least 5 minutes.

 

Cool idea, man. I agree that all of these standards are attainable and reasonable (barring certain injuries).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.