The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test

Mike Rinderle

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thoughts:  Plank was in there for ab/core strength.  Not everyone can swim or has access to a pool.

I originally did them all in the same day.  Pretty much one right after the other.  Not sure that's important though.  The order I remember was:  OHP, squat, dl, bench, pullups, carry, plank, 100m, mile.  All but the running were done in about an hour (had to drive to the track), but none were max efforts.  Just hitting the minimum number set.  So spreading it out might make more sense if we're trying to hit max attempts.

How do you plan to score it?

No I don't have a clue in how to score it. Suggestions on how to do that are welcome.

I will do swimming instead, everyone have access to swimming pools here so it's no problem. I think it will give lighter people a slightly better chance and it's more entertaining to watch. Distance could be reduced to 200 m though.

20 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

No I don't have a clue in how to score it. Suggestions on how to do that are welcome.

I will do swimming instead, everyone have access to swimming pools here so it's no problem. I think it will give lighter people a slightly better chance and it's more entertaining to watch. Distance could be reduced to 200 m though.

Do you guys want the swim to be for fastest time or just complete the swim? What stroke?

24 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Percentage based is only way.  Person who lifts the most, runs the fastest, does the most pullups gets a 10 for that event.  Everyone else gets a percentage of that.

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Do you guys want the swim to be for fastest time or just complete the swim? What stroke?

Time if it's a competition.   I've always been partial to the breast stroke ;) but do whatever gets you there the fastest without drowning. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Percentage based is only way.  Person who lifts the most, runs the fastest, does the most pullups gets a 10 for that event.  Everyone else gets a percentage of that.

Time if it's a competition.   I've always been partial to the breast stroke ;) but do whatever gets you there the fastest without drowning. 

The breast stroke is excellent, but I'm talking about swimming lol jk

We could also do distance underwater 

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

The breast stroke is excellent, but I'm talking about swimming lol jk

We could also do distance underwater 

I'm doing a plank.  Lol

31 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Fastest time of course. Doesn't matter what style.

Everyone can swim here, one of the most popular sports in Sweden. If you can't swim you haven't been in school.

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Everyone can swim here, one of the most popular sports in Sweden. If you can't swim you haven't been in school.

In the US it's very common to not know how to swim, especially for people far from the coasts and in big cities. Drowning is one of the leading causes of death for young children. 

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yeah we had swimming class in school too. I'm all set 

33 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

In the US it's very common to not know how to swim, especially for people far from the coasts and in big cities. Drowning is one of the leading causes of death for young children. 

I know, it's common in most parts of the world but not in Sweden. Everyone have access to swimming pool an everyone has to learn it in school. Not counting immigrants here, because they usually have not been in school here.

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I know, it's common in most part in the worl but not in Sweden. Everyone have access to swimming pool an everyone has to learn it in school. Not counting immigrants here, because they usually have not been in school here.

I was a competitive swimmer as a kid.  I just choose to avoid getting in a public pool with dozens of kids crapping and pissing in the water when possible.  All my grown kids are excellent swimmers.  The 4 year old will take lessons this summer.  Everyone should know how to swim.  But I'm going to pass on the human waste swim as an event.  Lol

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I was a competitive swimmer as a kid.  I just choose to avoid getting in a public pool with dozens of kids crapping and pissing in the water when possible.  All my grown kids are excellent swimmers.  The 4 year old will take lessons this summer.  Everyone should know how to swim.  But I'm going to pass on the human waste swim as an event.  Lol

I did compete in swimming too as a kid, from 6-13 years then I quit and started other sports. Several good swimmers from here, powerlifters as well. I think I can do all events at the same place actually. Depends if I want to do the running on a track or not.

Haven't been in a swimming pool for a long time but when I was active, rarely did people piss in the pool. If they did it was usually not in the pool where people trained.

14 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

How about max reps bicep curls instead? :D

I might do this instead, since it's much cooler. As long as it's done in the squat cage of course 😎

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I did compete in swimming too as a kid, from 6-13 years then I quit and started other sports. Several good swimmers from here, powerlifters as well. I think I can do all events at the same place actually. Depends if I want to do the running on a track or not.

Haven't been in a swimming pool for a long time but when I was active, rarely did people piss in the pool. If they did it was usually not in the pool where people trained.

Not many actual "swimming" pools with lanes here anymore.   High schools have them and the YMCA, etc.  Most public pools here in the States are just open water day cares for parents to drop their rugrats off while they get a tan.  

Of course it could be worse.  We could be in China.

POOL-700316.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not many actual "swimming" pools with lanes here anymore.   High schools have them and the YMCA, etc.  Most public pools here in the States are just open water day cares for parents to drop their rugrats off while they get a tan.  

Of course it could be worse.  We could be in China.

POOL-700316.jpg

Legend has it that this pool is the location the corona virus started lol

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about 100 lbs weaker than I was last year, but even with not pulling heavy in a long time, I was still able to get 200kg on axle, so I can scratch that one off the list.  I'll work up to my annual 500 axle pull over the next 4-6 weeks and then put it away for another year.  Lol.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, last year I just did the minimums one right after the other on the same day.  Did it all in about 3 hours becauseI had to drive and find a track that was open.

Push press 135

Bench 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 405
Carry 168.5 lbs 20 yards
3 Pull ups / chin ups: 
2 minute plank
100m 15 seconds

Mile: 4 days or close to that.

This year, I'm spreading them out and tackling them one by one.  So far:

Strict press: 155 (I suck at OHP)

Bench: 315

Squat: 385 SSB and 405 SSB Box Squat

DL: 575

Carry: 500 lb Farmers carry

Been doing a lot of walking, hiking, and jogging.  Cardio definitely getting better.  Will tackle the rest over the summer.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Pretty manly stuff you got planned for this year. And all of seems quite doable for you. Which will be the toughest?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Pretty manly stuff you got planned for this year. And all of seems quite doable for you. Which will be the toughest?

Not dying. 

8 minute mile.  Gotta lose some weight for sure

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not dying. 

8 minute mile.  Gotta lose some weight for sure

Yeah, for sure. That’s the one that would punish me severely for weighing 235!

49 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yeah, for sure. That’s the one that would punish me severely for weighing 235!

I'm hoping to be around that for the attempt

• Like 1

Careful sprinting unless fully warmed up. At your advanced age you could blow a hammy lol

17 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Careful sprinting unless fully warmed up. At your advanced age you could blow a hammy lol

Haha.  I typically blow out a calf before the hammy can tear.  Lol

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Haha.  I typically blow out a calf before the hammy can tear.  Lol

Good to know! We want video of the run segments.  Especially the mile so we can see you laying on the ground doing a snow angle type movement out of breath holding your side lol

• Haha 1