The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test

Mike Rinderle

9 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My L4 L5 is twice surgery repaired.  But I'm nuts.  Lol

Seriously, nothing has helped my back more than deadlifting.

Deadlift is a great and at the same time a risky exercise. It's easy to lift more than you should. You can't do this in most other exercises. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Deadlift is a great and at the same time a risky exercise. It's easy to lift more than you should. You can't do this in most other exercises. 

Exactly. Which is why you need to be on point with your technique without an ego to drive poundages up ahead of your body's ability.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, avasatu said:

Fair enough. My disc was black on the MRI, and came within 1/3 of an inch of my spinal cord, threatening bladder, bowel, etc. I've done a number of restorative programs over the last couple of years, including plenty of lower back and glute work, along with copious amounts of stretching, but, considering I'm in my 20s still, I think I'd rather be able to pee than deadlift heavy 😜. I am certain the disc has receded quite alot, but my hamstring flexibility would need to double for me to bend down like keep a solid arch the whole rep with even 225. Neural tightness is a monster to deal with!

Yea, mine was completely blown out and had actually impinged my spinal cord.  My leg went weak and numb on top of the terrible back and sciatic pain. Horrible experience. I had never deadlifted or really trained much with weights before I had it fixed in my late 30s. Just lots of sports.  Two surgeries to fix it.  After it healed I started doing deads with just the bar to strengthen it.  Over a painfully slow journey, I ended up pulling 600 raw in my mid 40s.  When my core (all 4 sides) is strong, I have no back issues.  I stopped working out for about 4 years and it started turning to $hit again.  Started pulling a little over a year ago and it feels great again.  No need to go as heavy as I did, but having a strong lower back and abs is crucial to a pain free L4 L5.  Solid form.  Start super light.  Don't ego pull.  Back like new.  

Also, fix that hammy tightness or it will continue to pull things out of whack in your lower back.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

26 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Exactly. Which is why you need to be on point with your technique without an ego to drive poundages up ahead of your body's ability.

This ^^^^

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea, mine was completely blown out and had actually impinged my spinal cord.  My leg went weak and numb on top of the terrible back and sciatic pain. Horrible experience. I had never deadlifted or really trained much with weights before I had it fixed in my late 30s. Just lots of sports.  Two surgeries to fix it.  After it healed I started doing deads with just the bar to strengthen it.  Over a painfully slow journey, I ended up pulling 600 raw in my mid 40s.  When my core (all 4 sides) is strong, I have no back issues.  I stopped working out for about 4 years and it started turning to $hit again.  Started pulling a little over a year ago and it feels great again.  No need to go as heavy as I did, but having a strong lower back and abs is crucial to a pain free L4 L5.  Solid form.  Start super light.  Don't ego pull.  Back like new.  

Also, fix that hammy tightness or it will continue to pull things out of whack in your lower back.

I've been trying to fix my hamstring tightness for years, and can't seem to completely recover the range of motion no matter what I do, although I admit to not doing daily work. 600 after double surgery is insane; that's quite the accomplishment for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks man.  It was a long road.

Definitely work on those hammies.  Tight ones can really tear your lower back up.

I have seven ruptured disks from top to bottom of my spine (including L 3-4 and 4-5).  My therapy consists of Glute ham raises followed by Ukrainian dead lifts done with a lightish kettlebell.  It might be worth a try for you guys - it works and stretches the hamstrings but also pumps up the spinal erectors like nothing else I've done.  Also no real compression forces  and low shear forces involved.  Louie Simmons showed this to me and I've used it ever since.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

I’d like to suggest the addition of one lift to the list! Any man should, if he ever were to find himself on a dance floor and the song “(I’ve had) the time of my life” is playing, be able to lift a sub 135 lbs girl over his head in the “Dirty Dancing lift”😅

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I’d like to suggest the addition of one lift to the list! Any man should, if he ever were to find himself on a dance floor and the song “(I’ve had) the time of my life” is playing, be able to lift a sub 135 lbs girl over his head in the “Dirty Dancing lift”😅

Hence the 135lb push press Wiggy!

1dirtydancing_15394429.jpg

• Like 1

One of my 70 challenges done today.  Hooked my feet under a bar - bent knee situps - hands on shoulders.  60 seconds to do as many reps as you can.  I got 58 - see if you can beat me.  Back has to touch the floor but your head does not have to (you don't have to "uncurl").  I highly suggest a pad under your butt.  I cramped on 50 - the last eight were the most fun.  Oh the next couple days will be fun too :)

• Like 3

I always seem to tweek my lower back on situps.  But I'll give it a run in the next week.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I always seem to tweek my lower back on situps.  But I'll give it a run in the next week.

If doing them for speed and reps in a minute most definitely increase susceptibility . That is not a good idea. They should be treated very carefully, under control for the benefits and to decrease the danger to the spine. 

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If doing them for speed and reps in a minute most definitely increase susceptibility . That is not a good idea. They should be treated very carefully, under control for the benefits and to decrease the danger to the spine. 

But... but... I was challenged.  He practically triple dog dared me.  Lol

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

But... but... I was challenged.  He practically triple dog dared me.  Lol

Not worth it big dog.... there are many other challenges you will live to accept if you avoid the ones that can kill your spine. You’ll thank me later.😉

17 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It's all part of my insidious plan to beat him at Gripmas Joe -  you're next Joseph Sullivan LOL.  For God's sake don't do anything you think will hurt you - it's easy enough to get hurt doing stuff we think is going to be safe.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

It's all part of my insidious plan to beat him at Gripmas Joe -  you're next Joseph Sullivan LOL.  For God's sake don't do anything you think will hurt you - it's easy enough to get hurt doing stuff we think is going to be safe.

Sit ups for speed are particularly dangerous to people who have low back problems as Mike does. It’s one thing to be macho and say I won’t get hurt... it’s another to do things that can put you out for good when you know there’s a good chance it might. It’s called being smart. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve treated in outpatient physical therapy  for sit ups for speed injuries ending up under the knife. Take the advice or dont. Of course we can get hurt doing things we think are safe... but just like we wear a seatbelt because we may get into an accident... doing some exercises haphazardly like what happens when trying to get as many reps in a minute with sit-ups is best avoided if one has pre existing injuries. And like I said... sit ups under control are safe if form is kept.. 

Edited by Guest

I wish I was strong like Joe Sullivan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s getting stale Studd

But, that's my goal 😭

27 minutes ago, JStepien said:

But, that's my goal 😭

As well as Rindo strong.... and all the other people you say are stronger than you that aren’t. None of us are stronger than you Studd.

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

As well as Rindo strong.... and all the other people you say are stronger than you that aren’t. None of us are stronger than you Studd.

Nobody is as strong as Big John Studd:

Big John Studd Breaks Bench Press World Record

He knew he could do it.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I loved when that came out bro! That’s on the documentary the biggest the smallest the strangest the strongest!

Wonder how much it actually weighed.

Fun challenge! Nice work, Mike! Way to represent us 50 year olds. 

Maybe after Raw Nationals I’ll check my mile time. That’s the only one that gives me cause for pause, at over 230 pounds. 

• Like 1