The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test

Mike Rinderle

6 hours ago, Emre said:

After all that to do a mile under 8 would do same for many :D lol.

The mile is one of the only things I could do (and I can crush it), along with the sprint pull-ups and plank. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm Fat: 242 this morning

I'm 50

I smoke

I didn't die.

:D

Point well taken though.  I'll try this fresh and with some carbs in me to see where I really am.  I was out of breath, but it was more the fact that my legs turned to sand after the 100 meter sprint.  I was gassed before I even started.  Once I know where I really am, I plan on knocking this down to 8 minutes ASAP.  Thanks!

I guarantee you’ll get there. Doing ~1/4 mi sprints would be good. Also search up some music with 160 to 170 bpm. Getting down a quick cadence really helps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I’m loving that you attempted this. 

🤯

Seemed like a really good idea at the time.  Now... not so much.  Haha

Thanks buddy!

Just saw your attempt, very nice! Better than me!

I think I can do most of the tasks except the running parts

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Just saw your attempt, very nice! Better than me!

I think I can do most of the tasks except the running parts

That's what got me big fella

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I guarantee you’ll get there. Doing ~1/4 mi sprints would be good. Also search up some music with 160 to 170 bpm. Getting down a quick cadence really helps. 

242 at 6’3 is far from fat Miguel.

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

242 at 6’3 is far from fat Miguel.

You see me shakin on that 100m quasi-sprint?  Lol

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No you were like the flash... just a blur!

According to my BMI, I'm technically obese.

Screenshot_20180826-190225_Google.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

According to my BMI, I'm technically obese.

Screenshot_20180826-190225_Google.jpg

Those don’t take into account your frame and muscle mass bro. Totally inaccurate. What weight they say you should be would make you a weak, skinny shell. I don’t know why they still use this tool.

Edited by Guest

Very nice Mike👍Cool ideas

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Those don’t take into account your frame and muscle mass bro. Totally inaccurate. What weight they say you should be would make you a weak, skinny shell. I don’t know why they still use this tool.

Bro... I'm fat.  Lol

I was a dangerous man from 195 - 220. Now... only if you stand in front of me and promise not to move.  Haha.  But I'm working on that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very nice Mike👍Cool ideas

Thanks Mike!

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bro... I'm fat.  Lol

I was a dangerous man from 195 - 220. Now... only if you stand in front of me and promise not to move.  Haha.  But I'm working on that.

You are one funny dude Mike

I remember my agony when I went to a wrestling practice a couple years ago, when my BW was 95 kg, and I'm 182 cm tall. First round was hard, but I did it somehow, in the 2nd round, at about a minute in I felt like my lungs are on fire and I literally had to stop, since every ounce of energy was lost. At the time I had a 220 kg/485 lb squat (wraps and belt), 145 kg/320 lb paused bench and a 215 kg/475 lb sumo deadlift and I was feeling like the strongest man in the world... I will never forget how helpless I felt when I was out of energy after a total of about 4 minutes wrestling, I could barely stand and couldn't breathe. Then I realized that brute strength without conditioning is just pointless. Now I'm at 86 kg and I don't train my squat, deadlift or bench press as I did (~140 kg squat/~130 kg bench touch and go/~190-200 kg conventional, no belt or wraps) but I'm feeling 2x more athletic and "stronger". I can box 12 rounds, I could probably wrestle for 3 full rounds, I can run 10 km and I'm still strong. Aerobic endurance doesn't have to be trained by using boring methods like treadmills or bikes, you can do whatever you want, box, wrestle, push the prowler or a sled, fast walking, playing sports (soccer, basketball), swimming etc. It really helps you out with everything else, and you can do it once per week. You build greater work capacity so you can do your strength training sessions faster and more efficient. Hill sprints are also great, but kinda hard when you start out. I hope my words here get someone to start taking their endurance a bit seriously :D

• Like 2

I just saw the video Mike, you did great. I envy you on those rocks in your backyard. If you did 5-10 of those sprints once or twice per week, you would gain huge benefits.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I remember my agony when I went to a wrestling practice a couple years ago, when my BW was 95 kg, and I'm 182 cm tall. First round was hard, but I did it somehow, in the 2nd round, at about a minute in I felt like my lungs are on fire and I literally had to stop, since every ounce of energy was lost. At the time I had a 220 kg/485 lb squat (wraps and belt), 145 kg/320 lb paused bench and a 215 kg/475 lb sumo deadlift and I was feeling like the strongest man in the world... I will never forget how helpless I felt when I was out of energy after a total of about 4 minutes wrestling, I could barely stand and couldn't breathe. Then I realized that brute strength without conditioning is just pointless. Now I'm at 86 kg and I don't train my squat, deadlift or bench press as I did (~140 kg squat/~130 kg bench touch and go/~190-200 kg conventional, no belt or wraps) but I'm feeling 2x more athletic and "stronger". I can box 12 rounds, I could probably wrestle for 3 full rounds, I can run 10 km and I'm still strong. Aerobic endurance doesn't have to be trained by using boring methods like treadmills or bikes, you can do whatever you want, box, wrestle, push the prowler or a sled, fast walking, playing sports (soccer, basketball), swimming etc. It really helps you out with everything else, and you can do it once per week. You build greater work capacity so you can do your strength training sessions faster and more efficient. Hill sprints are also great, but kinda hard when you start out. I hope my words here get someone to start taking their endurance a bit seriously :D

I agree.  Strength is awesome, but worthless if you are too gassed to use it.  You don't need to be able to run a 3 hour marathon, but you shouldn't be getting winded taking a brisk walk either.

• Like 1

I'm feeling yesterday's attempt in every fiber of my body today.  Lol

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 4:23 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

Push press 135

Bench 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 405
Carry 168.5 lbs 20 yards
3 Pull ups / chin ups: 
2 minute plank
100m 15 seconds
<8 min Mile 

Good list. Fun idea too! But at the risk of pointing out the obvious. Where is the GRIP element? Perhaps tns close a #1 gripper? Or axle deadlift 100kg/220lb? Or if you want to accomodate regular people without any grip stuff: DO hold 100kg/200lb for 20seconds?

I think I'm still good for most items on the list. Not sure about the 100m dash though, would very likely get injured while trying. Did 11.7sec. in high school, but that was a looooooong time ago. 🤔

Edited by Royz
  • Like 2

This would be fun to try if I actually liked doing cardio haha :D

I think I can do most of these but not the cardio stuff. I'm hesitant to try 100 m dash. I feel that it would be very high risk for injury there. Any advice on how to warm up for this?

I think the most fun and most challenging thing to try would be the "one week without electricity" thing. I think that's something everyone in the world should do once a year or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I agree.  Strength is awesome, but worthless if you are too gassed to use it.  You don't need to be able to run a 3 hour marathon, but you shouldn't be getting winded taking a brisk walk either.

For me... The best and most fun cardio is rounds swinging sledge hammers. Strength and cardio/power in one move... 

23 minutes ago, Royz said:

Good list. Fun idea too! But at the risk of pointing out the obvious. Where is the GRIP element? Perhaps tns close a #1 gripper? Or axle deadlift 100kg/220lb? Or if you want to accomodate regular people without any grip stuff: DO hold 100kg/200lb for 20seconds?

I think I'm still good for most items on the list. Not sure about the 100m dash though, would very likely get injured while trying. Did 11.7sec. in high school, but that was a looooooong time ago. 🤔

If you can deadlift 405 without straps, you have enough grip strength to close a #2 if someone shows you how to do it properly.  Believe me when I tell you I understand the loooooooooong time ago part.  HAHAHAHA

16 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

This would be fun to try if I actually liked doing cardio haha :D

I think I can do most of these but not the cardio stuff. I'm hesitant to try 100 m dash. I feel that it would be very high risk for injury there. Any advice on how to warm up for this?

I think the most fun and most challenging thing to try would be the "one week without electricity" thing. I think that's something everyone in the world should do once a year or so.

I made sure to wear sleeves on my calves because that's what I usually injure running.  The fact that it was 84 degrees and humid outside helped too.  I was still a little warm from the lifting too.  I jogged a little before hand, but not much of a warm up.  I didn't try to explode out of the start.  That's where I worried about blowing something out.  I tried to ramp up over the first 10 meters.  Probably cost me a second, but better than tearing something.

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

For me... The best and most fun cardio is rounds swinging sledge hammers. Strength and cardio/power in one move... 

Sledge, sled, carries... anything that combines strength and cardio is awesome.  Killing two birds with one stone is always a good thing in my book.  My favorie is sex.  A. it's fun.  B. there's a goal at the end that keeps you from stopping before you get to the finish line.  BWAHAHAHAHA

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you can deadlift 405 without straps, you have enough grip strength to close a #2 if someone shows you how to do it properly. 

I'm not so sure about that. I can currently DO deadlift 480lb, but a #2 is still a hard gripper for me lefty and a #2.5 is a hard gripper for my right hand. And I definitely know how to set a gripper.  Could be that I'm just the odd one out in this respect.😉

6 minutes ago, Royz said:

I'm not so sure about that. I can currently DO deadlift 480lb, but a #2 is still a hard gripper for me lefty and a #2.5 is a hard gripper for my right hand. And I definitely know how to set a gripper.  Could be that I'm just the odd one out in this respect.😉

That is a little weird.  480 DO is enough for me to close a #3 without training grippers at all.  When I was pulling 600 mixed, I closed a 169 lb gripper with a block set in a contest and hadn't trained grippers in years.