Nathan Holle Coc4 CCS

Roger Roberson

2 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Nathan Holle -- from my understanding -- has remained a very private person.   The only info I have seen on him was via his small feature in Milo Sept 2003 (issue 11.2).

I just realized both of these videos were posted on a new "Holle" youtube channel that only has two videos.  Both have captains saying they are from a training session in 2012.  Anyone able to confirm this youtube account is truly his own creation?

Also, i am left asking, why post these videos publicly years after they were taken?... unless there is something BIG about to happen, like an official CoC4 cert under the CCS Rules?

Either way, thanks for posting this.

I agree, it's really weird to post it six years later.

25 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

Blast from past.

Most motivational for me grippervideo ever - from Nathan Holle.

Supreme English power.

I believe he's from Wales if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I believe he's from Wales if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Wales, my mistake. 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:35 AM, Cannon said:

I haven’t been around as long as Bill. But even in my time I don’t recall videos quite like these.  

I remember around the time when I joined there was a vid of Big Dave Morton doing reps on a 4. Baby reps mind you. 

Jon Vogt took a 4 for a pretty hard ride quite a few years ago. Pretty wide set too. 

Vano climbing the ladder. 

Paul Knight. 

But this. Nathan doing this in 2012 some 9 years after certifying on the 4. That’s amazing. And it’s the only example I can think of for these feats. 

I’ve been checking the new content on the gripboard for 12 years, looking for videos like these. This is amazing. 

Tim Strus 4 reps on the CoC #4 and Nathan 7 reps on his #4 was crazy enough. The Romanian AWer fast close and a loud click on a new #4 was even crazier. But this is different. Anybody has idea how much does this #4 rates (I can guess no one knows but oh well)?

Only Nathan himself knows what was the hardest but I'm even more impressed by the four grippers in a row under four minutes with the GHP block. I'm surprised he didn't do more than one rep when he certed the GHP9.

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Apparently he has closed a Tetting Pro too. That's way beyond the max level of other guys considered elite, I wonder if it is pure genetics that got him this far or if he also has perfected training crush, probably both of course but it is interesting which one should be more credited. It's very unusual to be so far from other elite guys in anything strength related. 

Yeah he said that. But that's way above what anyone reached like you said. I'd like to see a video and what does that pro rate at. Still let's say 230. That is way above anyone else.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, Hopefully said:

These videos are from 2012 though, a long time ago. Wonder how he's doing now. 

Well he responded on youtube yesterday under the 'holle' channel, so he must be ok!! :)

I have asked him if I could mail him a new COC #4 in packaging and if he could open it on video and attempt a CCS, not holding my breath but worth a try and would be awesome!

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

So lets get this party started, shall we? 😎

questions-

why the audible clicking in all Nathans 2012 gripper close vids just before he begins his set? Could this be an edit que? Or is he just that uniform in loudly shuffling his feet around just before each close?

anyone that thinks a vid cant be edited that good hasnt seen an editing process. Notice the high quality of Nathans GHP 9 cert vid and this vid. Top of the line stuff for 2012. Cant say he doesnt have the equipment to edit one that good.

also, the biggest question- why in all Nathans time with this dominating crush did he not pursue the MM ladder? Could it be because the MM grippers are too hard to fake? Or will it be claimed that Nathan is “shy”? Because i would suggest hes not. Based solely off the fact that he DOES do gripper certs. I.E. Ironmind and GHP. Why not the MM ladder? If its a fund issue, i would be glad to help get some Mash Monster grippers sent his way.

has anyone who met Nathan seen him personally close a GHP 9 or CCs a legit #4? 

I think a guy called Chris James had seen him CCS a #4 in person.

Awesome, Keep us updated on this! Would love to see this as well.

from some of the tricky editing videos that pros do, it seems that background audio is super hard to edit into a video splice. Background chatter where you can actually see mouths moving as people speak, or a tv in the background that you can also see the picture with the audio, etc. apparently is very hard to do. I would like to see something of that nature as apposed to just a blank wall and mostly silence in the background.

and yes, that is extreme. But we are talking about an extreme feat of strength worthy of such effort.

Good point to be honest. I don't know why is he uploading it now. I asked him on his YouTube page and he said there is a laughable story behind it. I am also not sure why he was ever "shy" to post online. Although he did post in the old gripboard and we see his pictures. Let's see.

I know Chris has met with Nathan in the past, and he did mention some 1 hand feats like a nonchalant inch db lift and some other stuff, but i have not heard Chris mention a #4ccs.

He said that in one of his logs. He also said he closed a BBGE which is eq to a #4. Chris is very strong but when he competed once he tore his biceps and didn't do well. There is another one and is my close friend; Laine Snook. Very strong. World class strong. We see his videos. Clear and pretty with no gimmicks and "shyness". I met him along with Jedd Johnson. He did the unimaginable and stronger than Nathan in most aspects in grip. He said Nathan is very strong in crush (and has longer hands than him, while he has thicker and wider hands) and his hands are built to close a gripper. He has a hole/callus shaped like a gripper handle on his pinkie pads from using heavy grippers a lot. This gives huge advantage along with his long hands. And if I remember correctly Laine said he saw him close a #4. But not CCS. @LAINE SNOOK can you confirm? And no I don't think Nathan will play a slight of hands to change a gripper. Hope Laine chimes in and tell us what he saw.

3 hours ago, kasparov said:

Finally!!! Just curios but that looks like an old 4, how would it stack up RGC wise against the new lot of #4's?

There is literally no way to know. Any 3 from any era could rate any number including setting a new known high or low or anything between. There are no trends by “era” of gripper. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I know Chris has met with Nathan in the past, and he did mention some 1 hand feats like a nonchalant inch db lift and some other stuff, but i have not heard Chris mention a #4ccs.

I remember somewhere that Nathan had to certify on 3 different #4's, including a brand new one, before he was certified.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:02 AM, Alawadhi said:

Tim Strus 4 reps on the CoC #4 and Nathan 7 reps on his #4 was crazy enough. The Romanian AWer fast close and a loud click on a new #4 was even crazier. But this is different. Anybody has idea how much does this #4 rates (I can guess no one knows but oh well)?

Nathan stated that his grippers are not rated.

Nathan got back to me said there is no need to send him a #4, that if he did it again he would film it. I tried 😐 

In another thread he stated that he had closed a Pro in training.

7 hours ago, Cannon said:

There is literally no way to know. Any 3 from any era could rate any number including setting a new known high or low or anything between. There are no trends by “era” of gripper. 

Ok thanks, was under the impression that the new spring #4's were harder.

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Grippers really are all over the place. I literally own a 191# rated 3.5 from Matt. I can imagine the #4’s vary equally.

but after reading that Nathan had to prove himself on multiple #4’s before his cert was accepted, i would assume he is/was good for a 200#+ close?..

Yeah having a look at Matt's data on #4 RGC's they range anywhere from 198 to 227 that's over 65 samples.

By the way Holle responded to my question regarding whether he has CCS a new #4, and he said that he has done so in training.😉

Guess we'll just have to take his word for it. He's a monster though and has had incredible past videos including that GHP 9 set block which has given him a fair bit of credibility,  not to mention the fact that he's certified on the old rules on the #4. 

The incredible thing with both the GHP9 video and this new #4 CCS, is that he closes it so easily, it looks like he has a bit left in there for something a little more difficult even, hard to comprehend....

And his hands, wrist and forearm are enormous lol

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I agree, it's really weird to post it six years later.

Well maybe he didn't want to take all the glory since he already had released that GHP9 video? 😉

And since in all these years no one has managed to CCS a #4, and the question has come up repeatedly if anyone has, maybe he thought it was time.

By the way I had a look at RGC ratings of the Tetting Pro versus the GHP 10, and their low and high ratings are almost identical. With the Pro having a lowest of 246 versus GHP10 at 244, and high point for Pro at 264 and GHP10 at 268, with sample size at 8 for Pro and 21 for GHP10 on Matt's RGC data.

Which then make you wonder if Holle is even human? lol 

3 hours ago, kasparov said:

Well maybe he didn't want to take all the glory since he already had released that GHP9 video? 😉

And since in all these years no one has managed to CCS a #4, and the question has come up repeatedly if anyone has, maybe he thought it was time.

By the way I had a look at RGC ratings of the Tetting Pro versus the GHP 10, and their low and high ratings are almost identical. With the Pro having a lowest of 246 versus GHP10 at 244, and high point for Pro at 264 and GHP10 at 268, with sample size at 8 for Pro and 21 for GHP10 on Matt's RGC data.

Which then make you wonder if Holle is even human? lol 

Tetting's are all over the place in terms of ratings. I don't doubt for a second that he has closed the Pro.

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Tetting's are all over the place in terms of ratings. I don't doubt for a second that he has closed the Pro.

Agreed.  I think Teemu I also closed a Pro although I cannot remember if it was from a choker.  It was "narrow" even though no purposefully narrow Tettings were ever produced.  Wes might have closed a similar narrow Pro.  It's not unheard of and likely a 190-200s gripper (given there is also the mount to consider).  

Considering the variety of grippers involved---and mind you this is totally my own irresponsible wild-ass guess---I would ballpark Nathan would need to be good for a 220 rating to accomplish what we've seen from him.  Others (Durniat, etc) have matched that and more from a choker so it's not too outlandish I don't think.

24 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Agreed.  I think Teemu I also closed a Pro although I cannot remember if it was from a choker.  It was "narrow" even though no purposefully narrow Tettings were ever produced.  Wes might have closed a similar narrow Pro.  It's not unheard of and likely a 190-200s gripper (given there is also the mount to consider).  

Considering the variety of grippers involved---and mind you this is totally my own irresponsible wild-ass guess---I would ballpark Nathan would need to be good for a 220 rating to accomplish what we've seen from him.  Others (Durniat, etc) have matched that and more from a choker so it's not too outlandish I don't think.

Yes with a deep set it's absolutely possible if he can CCS close a #4 (even if this #4 is in the low 200's). If it's a gripper with a narrow and/or soft sweep it's even more likely. I'd say it's very likely in that case since my personal best with a narrow gripper is around 15 lbs RGC higher than with a normal gripper.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kasparov said:

...Which then make you wonder if Holle is even human? lol 

He's crazy impressive...but what sets Holle apart more than anything is that he continued training.

It's simply not that common. 

Gains come slower and slower as you get toward the upper echelon of human strength.

People get bored/frustrated and stop training. 

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

100% agree. These were my exact sentiments last night on This Week In Grip

Came across your video for beginners on grippers on youtube, man you have some serious power, did you always have really strong hands? How long did it take for you to progress from the lower COC like 1.5 or 2 to the 3 and beyond?

On 8/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, Stephen Ruby said:

Don't forget cancrushers inverted coc #4 close

I remember that one. To me that might just be the most impressive crush feat ever. Because at least for me personally an inverted close is waaaaaaaaay harder than a CCS close.

Wonder what happened to him?

I think for someone to have a shot at closing a #4, they can get to a #3 easily (doing basically any program) and very quickly.  If we were to poll all the top guys on the MashMonster ladder, I would bet every one of them would state how there were able to get a #3 close.