Braced Bend of a Colossus - 0.5"x2" x 47.2"

camz

Goliath was big (0.5"x1.5" x 48"). COLOSSUS is bigger: 0.5"x2" x 47.2" or to be more precise: 12mm x 50mm x 120cm. 5,5kg (12,1 lbs).

I trained the last six months for this bend and finally managed to take it down in a good time:

David Horne honored me big time, as he included this bend to his "World of Grip - Grip Feats List"!

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/gripfeats.html

Go bend some steel!

IMG_1898.jpg

Colossus02.jpg

• Like 7

Just a giant bar! That's awesome that you set the goal and then trained 6 months to be able to achieve it.  What was your training regiment? Just bending or other assistance stuff to build up strength? What is the next goal? Congrats again!

8 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

That’s incredibly brutal!

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Horrido said:

Epic Bend Kalli. It's a huge piece of steel and a big achievement.

Thanks, buddy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Just a giant bar! That's awesome that you set the goal and then trained 6 months to be able to achieve it.  What was your training regiment? Just bending or other assistance stuff to build up strength? What is the next goal? Congrats again!

Big thanks, Don! Very much appreciated!

I do a lot of other stuff besides bending (bouldering, grip, family, job), so I have usually only one long bar session per week. And only if I feel fresh! This long stuff is so demanding on the body (and the bars cost a buck, too), that I only bend, when I feel comfortably. If not, I skip the session and replace it with some sling trainer and/or paralletes work. This helped me a lot with the tension/compression you need for harder bars.

Of course there is a next goal 😄 There is ALWAYS a next goal! 😄

....but at the moment it looks too absurd to talk about it in public...  😕 

• Like 3

I have only done flats for scrolling but MAN … this is just the silliest sh*t I've ever seen. That bar is MASSIVE and you really didn't struggle with it at all. The only "struggle" was the hesitation with which technique to use at certain points. WOW.

Carl, I'd love to see you hone your round bar skill and go after some 7/8"/22mm stuff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule92 said:

I have only done flats for scrolling but MAN … this is just the silliest sh*t I've ever seen. That bar is MASSIVE and you really didn't struggle with it at all. The only "struggle" was the hesitation with which technique to use at certain points. WOW.

Carl, I'd love to see you hone your round bar skill and go after some 7/8"/22mm stuff.

Thank you very much!

I tried a 22mm bar at 120cm (7/8" x 47.2") in June or so. Took me 20 or 30 minutes for the full bend. Hope to get this faster in the future. But there are some other bends waiting before I go back to that...

• Like 1

Nice bend!  That thing looks brutal!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Nice bend!  That thing looks brutal!

Big thanks, Carl! Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

Awesome bend on that huge bar! Congrats on the bend and the determination to stick with it! Look forward to seeing your future  victories!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Awesome bend on that huge bar! Congrats on the bend and the determination to stick with it! Look forward to seeing your future  victories!

Thank you very much! I hope I can step it up in the future. My goal bar arrived yesterday and it is SCARY!!! But if you don't fear it, it's too easy, isn't it? 😄 

• Like 2

Haha very true! Can't look like a push over - good luck training!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

this is great bending and all around power. Are there more people wich bending colossus? This deserve much much more attention. its a hall of fame bend. Brian Shaw can not do this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, Mateus said:

this is great bending and all around power. Are there more people wich bending colossus? This deserve much much more attention. its a hall of fame bend. Brian Shaw can not do this.

Thanks man!

I know that some really strong guys tried this bar, but only Marco Buhl (4 or 5 times national grip champion and an overall strong ox) managed a full bend. The problem is, that even grip-experts have no clue about braced bending and how hard this is. But that's ok. It is how it is...

On 2/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, Joefrey said:

Awesome ! Great bending ! Congrats man !

Thank you very much! Hope to get harder bars down this year!

On 2/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, xyzzm said:

Man, that sounded painful. I get scared of seeing something pop when i watch braced bends for some reason, they just look so brutal.

Yeah, braced bending at this point is Type-2-fun! The fun begins when the pain relieves. But you get used to this...

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, camz said:

Thanks man!

I know that some really strong guys tried this bar, but only Marco Buhl (4 or 5 times national grip champion and an overall strong ox) managed a full bend. The problem is, that even grip-experts have no clue about braced bending and how hard this is. But that's ok. It is how it is...

Thanks for the info.I saw a video of him, now. You both should be named in a future bending morvie or so...I never did bending so i really don't know how hard it is. I think normal people out there don't know that, too. Until they try. There are so much hardcore strentth feats out there but not recognized by the world.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Mateus said:

Thanks for the info.I saw a video of him, now. You both should be named in a future bending morvie or so...I never did bending so i really don't know how hard it is. I think normal people out there don't know that, too. Until they try. There are so much hardcore strentth feats out there but not recognized by the world.

Haha 😄 Thanks for the kind words! This bend was not the end for me. I am still working on some harder flatbars, but... yeah... they are hard!

In the meantime I tried to improve my long bar skills and I've bent some shorter bars to get a feeling for the different techniques. Even though I still stuck on my main projekts, I was able to bend some hard round stock. This one for example:

I think I am just the second man in the world to bend a 22mm (7/8") bar. So this is a good consolation prize.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Feeling stronger than ever, I was able to step it up from the Colossus and here we go with the MEGA-COLOSSUS!

12x55mm x 120cm - 0.5"x2.165"x47.2"

...5 days after this, I FINALLY achieved one of my two maingoals by bending an even bigger bar: bending a LEVIATHAN bar. Will post this in a new thread...

Edited by camz
  • Like 1