Blob lifters under 18?

Wade Gillingham

Does anyone know if anyone under 18 has lifted a 50lb blob.  I don't recall anyone over the 12 years of the grip gauntlet and nobody that has trained with us at jackals.  I had a kid lift it last week that's 17!  He wanted to know if that was good :rolleyes

Wade

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wade Gillingham said:

Does anyone know if anyone under 18 has lifted a 50lb blob.  I don't recall anyone over the 12 years of the grip gauntlet and nobody that has trained with us at jackals.  I had a kid lift it last week that's 17!  He wanted to know if that was good :rolleyes

Wade

Kid must have big hands 

Didn’t Detek Graybill lift blob50s when he was under 18? I know a kid who recently turned 17, Oskar Beryrandsson who could probably lift a 50 lbs blob with some training.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, David_wigren said:

Didn’t Detek Graybill lift blob50s when he was under 18? I know a kid who recently turned 17, Oskar Beryrandsson who could probably lift a 50 lbs blob with some training.

Yeah, this was my guess.   @vikingsrule92

Another guess is Sam Solomi but he might have gotten himself banned here.

Finally, if being ageless counts, @odin has lifted it every year of his life for the last 32,490 years. 

@Paul Savage  and @Wes  are two more guesses.

I'm almost positive Wes Peart did it.

Edit: Yep, according to his MM2 profile, Wes was 17 when he closed the MM2.  http://www.mashmonster.com/wespeartmmg2.html

Then, this thread shows him lifting the Blob "after the MM2 cert process" and is dated in Feb 2007.  Wes was definitely 17 and lifting the blob.  

March 18, 2009. Birthday is July 6, 1992. Social Security number is … oh wait. That's not important.

• Like 9

I think it’s impressive but I think we would know a lot more teenagers picking up the blob if they were exposed to grip training and had access to a blob. I know I had no clue about this stuff at that age. A big kid like someone on a high school football team should be able to. Hand size is huge when it comes to block weights. A big kid with big hands should be able to get it if exposed to it 

Edited by Chez

I don't know that I would go quite that far.  I estimate that I have seen 50,000 people try the blob at the Olympia, Arnold, and LA Fit Expo over the 10+ years I ran the grip gauntlet for GNC.  I know we had less than 50 people lift the blob and half that list were pro strongmen.

• Like 1

It’s still impressive but most of those people had probably never seen a blob before. They probably had super poor technique. If this stuff was more wide spread like regular lifting, we would see more lifters. I know I would have closed a #3 in a couple months as a teenager if I knew about grippers back then 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I know I would have closed a #3 in a couple months as a teenager if I knew about grippers back then

Yeah.. but you are a freak you know that don't you? 🤔

And so is anybody (kid or otherwise) that can lift a blob without (or very little) training.

Being a freak is a good thing btw (in this regard anyway).

9 hours ago, Chez said:

It’s still impressive but most of those people had probably never seen a blob before. They probably had super poor technique. If this stuff was more wide spread like regular lifting, we would see more lifters. I know I would have closed a #3 in a couple months as a teenager if I knew about grippers back then 

That's true of everything from sports to academics and industry.  How many 180+ IQ's are walking around that have never been educated?  How many guys with 800+ deadlift potential are out there that never trained?  How many inventors are out there that never had a chance?  If we go through life thinking what we did really isn't that good because not everyone has tried I guess we'll never be proud of anything we have done.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wade Gillingham said:

That's true of everything from sports to academics and industry.  How many 180+ IQ's are walking around that have never been educated?  How many guys with 800+ deadlift potential are out there that never trained?  How many inventors are out there that never had a chance?  If we go through life thinking what we did really isn't that good because not everyone has tried I guess we'll never be proud of anything we have done.    

I agree with this statement. It seems to be widespread belief in the gripboard that the feats of strength are not impressive because most People don’t do them. I highly disagree. Most super strong men still cannot duplicate many of them, such as lifting the blob, closing a number 3 or lifting the inch or a strict 20 pound sledge lever.These are very high level and very hard things to do. Grip is a very specific thing that even if one is super strong may struggle with it. I say to the grip guys out there that minimize their ability that they are doing themselves a great disservice and why even bother doing it? I for one am very proud of my accomplishments... and so should the other guys who bust their butts to accomplish these impressive feats. 

Joe

Edited by Guest

On 8/20/2018 at 3:21 AM, Cannon said:

@Paul Savage  and @Wes  are two more guesses.

I'm almost positive Wes Peart did it.

Edit: Yep, according to his MM2 profile, Wes was 17 when he closed the MM2.  http://www.mashmonster.com/wespeartmmg2.html

Then, this thread shows him lifting the Blob "after the MM2 cert process" and is dated in Feb 2007.  Wes was definitely 17 and lifting the blob.  

Yesss Wes did it easily. Almost closed a #4 too lol But he was out of this world.

13 hours ago, Wade Gillingham said:

I don't know that I would go quite that far.  I estimate that I have seen 50,000 people try the blob at the Olympia, Arnold, and LA Fit Expo over the 10+ years I ran the grip gauntlet for GNC.  I know we had less than 50 people lift the blob and half that list were pro strongmen.

True

3 hours ago, Wade Gillingham said:

Again, I agree.

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I agree with this statement. It seems to be widespread belief in the gripboard that the feats of strength are not impressive because most People don’t do them. I highly disagree. Most super strong men still cannot duplicate many of them, such as lifting the blob, closing a number 3 or lifting the inch or a strict 20 pound sledge lever.These are very high level and very hard things to do. Grip is a very specific thing that even if one is super strong may struggle with it. I say to the grip guys out there that minimize their ability that they are doing themselves a great disservice and why even bother doing it? I for one am very proud of my accomplishments... and so should the other guys who bust their butts to accomplish these impressive feats. 

Joe

Very true. This strength feats is really hard. I've seen very strong professional strongman fail to lift the inch or the blob. Heck Hafthor couldn't lift the Inch. I assume the blob too even now but we can only know in October when they come to Dubai.