Brian Shaw Easily lifts Gigantor Blob

Boulderbrew

It's no wonder that a WSM champion thrives in all things strength. The guy is a giant that has everything: genetics, work ethics, insane nutrition and supplements (legal and not). People don't realize what kind of tendon development these people have, it's superhuman, along with everything else.

That being said, it's impressive that there's people who can't do 50% of what he does in the standard and strongman lifts, but still come up to 85%+ of his grip performance.

• Like 1

Lets get serious now:

Brian vs Jerome Bloom

Stub.

Who you got?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If he spent 3 months learning the technical aspects of the grip lifts, he could break EVERY record in grip... in one contest.  Don't kid yourselves.  He's on another planet size and strength wise than anyone who has ever done grip seriously.  He might struggle with the stub and hub, but sheer power would probably have him win those too.  Seriously guys, it would be like the time Jason Bergmann took up horseshoe bending and took all of three months to bend shoes nobody else in the world had ever wobbled.  If Shaw had time to master setting grippers, etc. He would own every non-gimmick lift record in gripsport in short order.  The man has baseball gloves for hands and is stronger than all but 1 or two guys walking the earth.  

I agree. Read my topic here

15 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Does anyone know his hand length?

9" read my topic above.

5 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Brian has actually been training his grip hard for many years and definitely has a good understand of it all, he's also competed in grip in the past. As far as the strongman vs grip athlete debate goes, it definitely helps to be strong all around, however just because your a top strongman does not mean you will automatically be able to smash all the grip records with 3 months of training. Keep in mind there would a fair chance of injury during those 3 months for a start, but again he already trains his grip a lot. The best grip to come out of the top strongman was mike Burke who won some contests and did very well but still got beat by alexey. Brian has gone up against mark Felix and Steve gardener (mobster) in the ironmind rolling thunder championships, which should be just about Brian's best kind of event due to high thumb strength and huge hands. He was able to match Steve, which is very hard to do as Steve is very high level in thickbar, but Felix beat both of them. Felix has done well in grip contests but only had one major win that I can recall of.

To sum up, yes Brian is crazy strong at certain things and has thumb strength to spare but that doesn't mean he's crazy strong at everything and would just wipe out all the records with minimum effort.

Buddy Brian is much MUCH stronger now than ever. He once failed CoC #3.5 cert. Now he mashes it. To be fair too, in that contest he lifted more than Steve but he couldn't lock the weight. The video is online. But then again, that was long ago and Brian is much bigger and stronger. He won his first WSM that year in 2011 and got stronger later. His deadlift, press and everything got way more.

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

So... a guy who dabbles in grip ties one of the all time greats and another genetic freak who does train grip, but with 1/10th the training of Steve beats him.  Mob has been doing this stuff for decades. Thanks for making my point.  If Shaw specifically concentrated on grip for 3 months, he would beat everyone.  Heck, not to take anything away from him, but Chad Woodall, who isn't close to Brian, was dominant in grip when he dabbled.  Size and strength are king.

We're all just normal guys that do well at a sport because there isn't enough prize money to attract the strongest and biggest athletes in the world.  If you don't believe that, you are deluding yourself.  Don't believe me?  Get somebody to put up $100k for a grip contest 6 months out and see if any current grip athletes would finish on the podium.

Of course strength is most. Strength comes a lot from size. That's a fact.

4 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Obviously nobody is going to put up that kind of money nor is someone like Brian going to train for 3 months specifically for a grip contest, but I think you are vastly underestimating how much he already trains his grip. He's not just going to get 25% better in 3 months, there would be decent chance he would get worse due to injury and overtraining if he tried to put more focus on grip. Keep in mind he has struggled with the frame at worlds strongest man many times, had nerve damage in his hand etc Believe it or not there's a good few strongman that have a better grip than him. Brian isn't the best in the world at everything in strongman, he's just very well rounded and doesn't have many weaknesses.

Again, not to take anything away from his freak strength on those blobs, that was crazy.

Of course not Paul. But he will get access to 25% of his already tapped strength which is there. Just knows how to utilize it better. Yes grip training isn't alien for Brian but you get my point. He does it for fun.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I agree. Read my topic here

9" read my topic above.

Buddy Brian is much MUCH stronger now than ever. He once failed CoC #3.5 cert. Now he mashes it. To be fair too, in that contest he lifted more than Steve but he couldn't lock the weight. The video is online. But then again, that was long ago and Brian is much bigger and stronger. He won his first WSM that year in 2011 and got stronger later. His deadlift, press and everything got way more.

Of course strength is most. Strength comes a lot from size. That's a fact.

Of course not Paul. But he will get access to 25% of his already tapped strength which is there. Just knows how to utilize it better. Yes grip training isn't alien for Brian but you get my point. He does it for fun.

Haha you just beat me to it. I remembered seeing that thread about a young Brian who competed in a contest in 2005 and came right behind Clay Edgin. He would totally dominate the grip world if he wanted to

• Like 2

2 hours ago, temmmeeee said:

Haha you just beat me to it. I remembered seeing that thread about a young Brian who competed in a contest in 2005 and came right behind Clay Edgin. He would totally dominate the grip world if he wanted to

At that point, he was a 22 yo kid just out of college and new to strongman.  Basically still a college basketball player at that point.  Probably ONLY weighed about 300 in 2005.  He played ball at 260 the year before.  He's gained the muscle mass of me since then.  Maybe 1.5 Rindos.

I seriously can't believe anybody is arguing that he wouldn't dominate all of us if he got motivated to do so.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There would clearly be a number of grip events (lifts) he'd absolutely dominate.  However, even with specific training I think it would be a bit presumptuous to assume he'd dominate EVERY grip specific event.

Large hands are not necessarily the enormous advantage some people choose to believe. As already pointed out: Hubs come to mind.

Those plate flips impressed me even more than the blob lifts - thanks for posting.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, acromegaman said:

Does anyone know his hand length?

I think I remember watching a youtube video on jujimufu's channel where someone who trained with him mentioned he had the largest hands he had seen somewhere around 9+ inches long. Judging by pictures and how easily his hand fits around the blobzilla I wouldn't doubt it. I don't think the weight has as much of a factor as his hand size personally. I mean big z is 400+lbs in his prime and also one of the strongest men to ever live but I remember him doing an interview and his grip strength was not at the level of brian shaws. I tend to agree with paul in that brian shaw does train his grip seriously and has for years. I believe he did a rolling thunder contest like 10 years ago. I do wonder why he doesn't try to go for the axle deadlift world record that would seem like a easy one for him to take. Either way he is one of the strongest men to ever live and that goes for his grip strength also. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

he just “decided” to sit down on the row machine and attempt the world record. And guess what?.. without ever having competed in any kind of rowing sport, he did indeed destroy the world record. On a whim.

To be fair, the 100m row is not really a trained nor contested event (and it was quickly taken back). It'd be like a rock climber coming in and taking a 1-hand stirrup lift record. Nothing really impressive here. He is also 400 lbs on a stationary unit.

33 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

And to be more fair, it would indeed be impressive to see a rock climber walk in and take ANY grip WR. Even a 1 hand stirrup lift. In fact, didnt Tanner already walk in basically off the street and take some records? Hes a climber. 

if Tanner does it we are impressed. Why not the same for Brian?

Rock climbing is a grip sport my man. That is precisely why Tanner took the record, it is no surprise an athlete with good fingertip strength took a niche record on that implement that few people actually train for. The same applies for Brian and his 100m indoor rowing simulation machine record. Any large athlete will display massive amounts of power on a non-weight bearing ergometer. Have them chase a record nobody's ever heard of and they'll have a shot.

I don't think anybody is arguing Brian wouldn't dominate grip. He's already proven that.

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

If we are really being fair, then were sticking with him taking a world record on a whim. Its hard to look cool while attempting to shit on a WR. I dont care how hard you push.

And to be more fair, it would indeed be impressive to see a rock climber walk in and take ANY grip WR. Even a 1 hand stirrup lift. In fact, didnt Tanner already walk in basically off the street and take some records? Hes a climber. 

if Tanner does it we are impressed. Why not the same for Brian?

heres some logic for everyone that is intentionally overlooked.. if a 200lb strength guy can be strong, then a 400lb strength guy can be, and likely will be stong af. Sorry if that hurts.

And regardless of how many here think a hub “might” stop Brian, it still doesnt change the fact that the guy is a freak, and will still dominate overall in a comp with anyone who competes these days. Unless your comp is a 1 lift deal only hosting the hub as the only event.

Btw, Brian is a member here. Feel free to pm him and call him out if your feeling froggy.

I know i know... im hurting some feels here of people that tell their wives and old guys at work that they are world class strong. Oh well.

oh and does anybody know the difference between being an athlete, and being athletic?

wait for it....

athletes get paid.

Here’s the thing, and I think most would agree..... grip is a strength sport that most pro strongmen won’t get involved in until injury forces them to not be healthy enough to compete in strongman. I never heard of Grip until after having back and neck surgery putting the nails in the coffin of powerlifting massive poundage anymore. It’s a great alternative to the strength sports that require massive loads on the frame and still gives an opportunity to compete and have a rare strength that most don’t have primarily to not training it. Most, if not all pro strongmen have massive grips already just from lifting the massive poundages they do. I also credit my fast ability in grip  with deadlifting over 700 pounds at one time. The amazing thing for me was that it was 12 years previous to trying Grip that I deadlifted my last rep. So, if I kept that strength for so long Doing only push ups and pull ups for 12 years I can only imagine what 6’8 400 plus pounds of pro strongmen can do. It would be very interesting to see. I thank the good Lord above for grip because it has added back in my life the aspect that was missing, competition against myself and others getting any bodypart I can tolerate to super unusual, strong levels. Would I be doing Grip had I remained healthy enough to continue doing what I was doing before? Probably not until injury made it where I couldn’t do the other stuff.... I can say however that grip is the most enjoyable strength endeavor I have done previously and am glad to have found it

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Here’s the thing, and I think most would agree..... grip is a strength sport that most pro strongmen won’t get involved in until injury forces them to not be healthy enough to compete in strongman. I never heard of Grip until after having back and neck surgery putting the nails in the coffin of powerlifting massive poundage anymore. It’s a great alternative to the strength sports that require massive loads on the frame and still gives an opportunity to compete and have a rare strength that most don’t have primarily to not training it. Most, if not all pro strongmen have massive grips already just from lifting the massive poundages they do. I also credit my fast ability in grip  with deadlifting over 700 pounds at one time. The amazing thing for me was that it was 12 years previous to trying Grip that I deadlifted my last rep. So, if I kept that strength for so long Doing only push ups and pull ups for 12 years I can only imagine what 6’8 400 plus pounds of pro strongmen can do. It would be very interesting to see. I thank the good Lord above for grip because it has added back in my life the aspect that was missing, competition against myself and others getting any bodypart I can tolerate to super unusual, strong levels. Would I be doing Grip had I remained healthy enough to continue doing what I was doing before? Probably not until injury made it where I couldn’t do the other stuff.... I can say however that grip is the most enjoyable strength endeavor I have done previously and am glad to have found it

700 is a massive DL for anyone.  For perspective, Shaw could pull that with you hanging from the bar.  Probably for reps.  Lol.

These people are in a whole other dimmension.  

6 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

700 is a massive DL for anyone.  For perspective, Shaw could pull that with you hanging from the bar.  Probably for reps.  Lol.

These people are in a whole other dimmension.  

Exactly... that’s my point. Whole other level

Edited by Guest

Back to the 500 meter row and Strongman.  I keep thinking Strongman Lawrence Shahleai (sp) also turned in one heck of a 500 meter row a few years back?

I know we all like to think we are strong and many of us are - but there is 200 to 250# normal man strong and 400# professional Strongman strong - I think they are two completely different things!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Back to the 500 meter row and Strongman.  I keep thinking Strongman Lawrence Shahleai (sp) also turned in one heck of a 500 meter row a few years back?

I know we all like to think we are strong and many of us are - but there is 200 to 250# normal man strong and 400# professional Strongman strong - I think they are two completely different things!

This ☝️

On 8/15/2018 at 11:20 AM, wobbler said:

Lets get serious now:

Brian vs Jerome Bloom

Stub.

Who you got?

This is one of the only event/person combos that I think could take down Shaw.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

This is one of the only event/person combos that I think could take down Shaw.

Which kind of proves its usefulness as a measure of grip strength.

I didn't choose the stub life... The stub life chose me.  No.  Seriously.  I'm over the moontop about it.  

• Like 1

Hah, I was wondering when someone would bite on that. Mostly I'd just like to see both of them standing next to each other. 😂

But yeah, obviously he's a monster and would dominate, most likely win any contest depending on events.

But the best at literally everything period, that's hard to say definitively.

does anyone know the allometric scoring formula..........I’m curious what Shaw has to lift on the axle to beat someone in 93k (205 lbs) class who lifts 400 or just over 400. Let’s say Shaw weighs 440 at the time (his weight flactuates but he’s weighed this in competition before)

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

does anyone know the allometric scoring formula..........I’m curious what Shaw has to lift on the axle to beat someone in 93k (205 lbs) class who lifts 400 or just over 400. Let’s say Shaw weighs 440 at the time (his weight flactuates but he’s weighed this in competition before)

3 tons give or take a lb or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

3 tons give or take a lb or two.

Sounds close lol. I am really curious though what the actual number is 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Not sure how tall Brian is but say he is 200cm. If we shrunk him to 90% of that he would be 180cm tall and weigh 0.9x0.9x0.9= 72.9% of whatever he weighs now. His strength in everything would be 0.9x0.9=81% of what it is now. Weight scales by the cube and strength by the square, which is eg why a grasshopper can do what it does.

This does not fully apply if you change your muscle mass at a given height, only if you scale things up or down.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

6 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Not sure how tall Brian is but say he is 200cm. If we shrunk him to 90% of that he would be 180cm tall and weigh 0.9x0.9x0.9= 72.9% of whatever he weighs now. His strength in everything would be 0.9x0.9=81% of what it is now. Weight scales by the cube and strength by the square, which is eg why a grasshopper can do what it does.

Shaw is listed at 6’8”. Strength has nothing to do with height (in fact it’s a disadvantage with most lifts since you have to move the weight further with longer limbs) but height automatically makes you weigh more. Someone can be thin without a strength background and easily weigh 200 at 6’8”. And height is not that linear with weight since two people the same height can have diffferent proportions (one longer legs and one a longer torso etc)

Edited by Chez

If you scale an organism up or down in size strength will follow according to this principle. It is a well know fact that I assumed people knew. I don't think you quite considered the term 'scale'.

If we scaled you up to twice your height your strength would rise by a factor of 4 and your weight by a factor of 8. If we continued scaling you up in size we would reach a point where bone strength and muscle strength would no longer be able to keep you upright.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikael Siversson said:

If you scale an organism up or down in size strength will follow according to this principle. It is a well know fact that I assumed people knew. I don't think you quite considered the term 'scale'.

Real people are not like. You are taking a cubed formula and applying it to a person. Way more variables with a living person