Jump to content
Glenni

Nail bending

Recommended Posts

Glenni

Are there any bending experts in here that can tell me if this bending technique is allowed to use during certification?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Should be, looks like a weird reverse bend to start. Not sure how well it would work on harder bars, seems like it would be real bad on your shoulders if you slipped.

P.s. there is a specific bending forum also

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccos1
2 hours ago, Glenni said:

Are there any bending experts in here that can tell me if this bending technique is allowed to use during certification?

 

 

Off-hand, I would think so, as long as you are not posting or bracing in any way.  Never saw a kink like that.  I would think that it would be very difficult to start a Red with this style, and like Wobbler wrote, injury due to slipping would be bad.  How long have you been bending like this?  And have you bent any other types of stock?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donc101

Check out the videos here for technique: https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/43922-collection-of-the-important-bending-videos/

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni
2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Off-hand, I would think so, as long as you are not posting or bracing in any way.  Never saw a kink like that.  I would think that it would be very difficult to start a Red with this style, and like Wobbler wrote, injury due to slipping would be bad.  How long have you been bending like this?  And have you bent any other types of stock?

This is the second time I try IM nails, have never bent something else before. I also managed lev4 in this way with not too much trouble. 

I'm to stiff to bend in the normal way, where the nail is placed between the chin and the chest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danny Young
2 hours ago, Glenni said:

This is the second time I try IM nails, have never bent something else before. I also managed lev4 in this way with not too much trouble. 

I'm to stiff to bend in the normal way, where the nail is placed between the chin and the chest.

If You are too stiff for that style just try either reverse or double underhand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni
27 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

If You are too stiff for that style just try either reverse or double underhand.

I'll try the next bending session👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccos1
3 hours ago, Glenni said:

This is the second time I try IM nails, have never bent something else before. I also managed lev4 in this way with not too much trouble. 

I'm to stiff to bend in the normal way, where the nail is placed between the chin and the chest.

You will get the most power with double-overhand.  Do you have the most trouble with 7" stock or have you experimented any with varying lengths?  Years back, my flexibility was poor for DO, but this was overcome with a lot of repetition, with easier 7 and 7.5" stock.  Up until recently, I didn't have too much trouble with getting into position.  (The trouble now is more due to wear-and-tear and age.)  There are a lot of things to do to improve flexibility, specifically to get into position for double overhand bending.

A lot of guys have had great success with double-underhand, especially guys that cannot do DO anymore due to injuries or time.  Like Danny mentioned, DU and reverse are great styles, which are not flexibility-dependent.  Double-underhand is a very versatile style of bending from modified, to gain leverage, to strict, wraps-touching, wrist-dependent bending.  The entire spectrum will test you in different ways, and is not really influenced by flexibility.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danny Young
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Glenni said:

I'll try the next bending session👍

Just make sure you buy some 3/16" round and square to start off with. Find out where you are with reverse and DU. You'll be very surprised how difficult an Ironmind yellow can be with those styles. Because I remember my first DU bend with one and it wasn't  easy at all. 

Edited by Danny Young
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni
11 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

You will get the most power with double-overhand.  Do you have the most trouble with 7" stock or have you experimented any with varying lengths?  Years back, my flexibility was poor for DO, but this was overcome with a lot of repetition, with easier 7 and 7.5" stock.  Up until recently, I didn't have too much trouble with getting into position.  (The trouble now is more due to wear-and-tear and age.)  There are a lot of things to do to improve flexibility, specifically to get into position for double overhand bending.

A lot of guys have had great success with double-underhand, especially guys that cannot do DO anymore due to injuries or time.  Like Danny mentioned, DU and reverse are great styles, which are not flexibility-dependent.  Double-underhand is a very versatile style of bending from modified, to gain leverage, to strict, wraps-touching, wrist-dependent bending.  The entire spectrum will test you in different ways, and is not really influenced by flexibility.  

No I have only tryed these lengths of IM nails.

Thanks for your help👍 appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

I don't think you're allowed to leave the rubber bands on when you do the bend for ironmind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FrankD
13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think you're allowed to leave the rubber bands on when you do the bend for ironmind.

You are correct. For the red nail cert, you have to take the bands off the wraps before the bend starts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni
1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think you're allowed to leave the rubber bands on when you do the bend for ironmind.

Yes, I'm aware of it. But thanks!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bencrush
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, Buccos1 said:

Off-hand, I would think so, as long as you are not posting or bracing in any way.  Never saw a kink like that.  I would think that it would be very difficult to start a Red with this style, and like Wobbler wrote, injury due to slipping would be bad.  How long have you been bending like this?  And have you bent any other types of stock?

I haven't seen this kink style in years!  My friend Chad kinked (@ 25 degrees) a Big Bastard with that exact style about a month before he died back in 2011.  He was set to get his shoulder fixed and was still able to do that.  It seems to be a very inefficient style to work with on a regular basis.  This is just my opinion, of course.  But I think you will be injured more frequently with this style than the others.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccos1
On August 9, 2018 at 12:08 AM, bencrush said:

I haven't seen this kink style in years!  My friend Chad kinked (@ 25 degrees) a Big Bastard with that exact style about a month before he died back in 2011.  He was set to get his shoulder fixed and was still able to do that.  

That's pretty incredible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni

Today I tryed reverse bending for the first time. I liked it. Next time I will try DU bending style👍 

Thanks for all the great tips guys🤝

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danny Young
6 hours ago, Glenni said:

Today I tryed reverse bending for the first time. I liked it. Next time I will try DU bending style👍 

Thanks for all the great tips guys🤝

 

 

 

Nice! Now continue training with the 1/4" CRS then also pick up 1/4" hex CRS and some 1/4" O-1 drill rod as well as letter "I" (.272") O-1 drill rod. Then you'll be ready for a 1/4" grade 5 @6".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glenni
20 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

Nice! Now continue training with the 1/4" CRS then also pick up 1/4" hex CRS and some 1/4" O-1 drill rod as well as letter "I" (.272") O-1 drill rod. Then you'll be ready for a 1/4" grade 5 @6".

Where can I get them?👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danny Young
56 minutes ago, Glenni said:

Where can I get them?👍

I always order my O-1 drill rod & 1/4" CRS hex from mcmaster.com. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bencrush

Very good starting point on your reverse bending!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton.Torrella

Yea great first reverse bend! Looked very natural

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccos1

Nice!  The reverse looked effortless.  I bet you will be putting a hurtin' on grade 5s soon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.