Finally hit my over bodyweight Rolling Thunder goal!

Nigel Blackburn

This was my first time touching the Rolling Thunder (older version) in about 5 or 6 months. It was a big goal of mine to hit a 100% bodyweight lift on this. After a frustrating training session, I decided to give the good ol' RT a shot on a whim.

Managed 150.8 lbs at 147.2 lbs BW.

All the King King prep with the 2.5" Crusher paid off big time! 

• Like 3

Nice work!

Though this isn’t the current version with the end caps, the build is otherwise the same. I’ve competed using both several times, and lift the same amount. 

• Like 1

I agree with Eric. Touched an RT at the comp in Philly in April (the one with the end caps)... got 90kg... with more in the tank... ran out of attempts.  Tried it again on July 14 In Canada... RT (without end caps).... got 201.5. So having not touched one for 3 months and getting almost the same weight tells me they are no different.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how the two compared, as I’ve heard mixed reviews. I think I’ve grown accumstomed to training on 2.5” rolling handles, which makes a huge difference when switching back. 

Hoping to get my hands on the new model at some point to try it. 

43 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how the two compared, as I’ve heard mixed reviews. I think I’ve grown accumstomed to training on 2.5” rolling handles, which makes a huge difference when switching back. 

Hoping to get my hands on the new model at some point to try it. 

I didn’t train on a rolling thunder at all... ever... and I’ve been in 2 comp with them. Only ever used the 2.5 inch crusher. If you use the crusher you won’t evet have to use an RT for training... unless you want to see what you can actually do with one.

8 hours ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

This was my first time touching the Rolling Thunder (older version) in about 5 or 6 months. It was a big goal of mine to hit a 100% bodyweight lift on this. After a frustrating training session, I decided to give the good ol' RT a shot on a whim.

Managed 150.8 lbs at 147.2 lbs BW.

All the King King prep with the 2.5" Crusher paid off big time! 

IMG_8466.TRIM.MOV

Nice going!  We are hosting a King Kong in NYC but I bet you will find one closer to home.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Vinnie said:

Nice going!  We are hosting a King Kong in NYC but I bet you will find one closer to home.

I'd love to go to that venue; it'd be a lot of fun. Just a bit too far for a drive. I think I'm set on the Tennessee location, which is a modest 7 hour drive.

• Like 1