600 X 5 NN

Mike Rinderle

Don't you think you should just have done one more, so 6 x 600 would be how many seconds in an hour?

Really totally just kidding.  That was epic, and the last rep was as good as the first.  I'm thinking maybe I could do 300.  Once.  Even for your larger size, that was ridiculous.  Respect!

• Like 1

Lean and mean!! Super strong set !!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Lean and mean!! Super strong set !!

Thanks Vinnie!  I bet you could do way more than you think.

55 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Don't you think you should just have done one more, so 6 x 600 would be how many seconds in an hour?

Really totally just kidding.  That was epic, and the last rep was as good as the first.  I'm thinking maybe I could do 300.  Once.  Even for your larger size, that was ridiculous.  Respect!

Vin,

People seem to think that strength keeps on increasing linearly with more bodyweight. It doesn’t. It levels off . Once one gets up to a certain bodyweight , the poundages lifted don’t continue to go up the way it does for a 150-200 pound lifters . For example.... you can see a 150-200 pound lifter easily do triple bodyweight on the deadlift with proper training quite often... but are we going to see a   300-400 pounder perform a triple bodyweight deadlift as often equaling 900 to 1200 pounds ?? No way. The body can only increase so much as we all have the same tissue composition and tolerances to stress that is limited. Unless someone is on tons of sauce and HGH will we see the triple bodyweight lifts in the 300 to 400 pounders, and even then those are few and far between... otherwise every 400 pound powerlifter  would be benching 800 where as the 150 to 200 pounder can attain 300 to 400 with training . Triple BW is very attainable for the 200 and below crowd on deadlifts and double bodyweight on bench  and gives them the false sense of being “stronger” than the heavier guy that lifts more than them because they weigh less... when at the end of the day... they are not “stronger”. It kind of irritates me when people say,  “oh that’s good for you even though you weigh a lot”.... and I’m not singling you out at all Vin by any means ... I’m just ranting in general about  the crowds that think that strength keeps increasing astronomically with increased bodyweight.. it doesn’t. Many will agree and many will not... just my opinion, but statistics on lifting poundages would agree.  By the way Vin, how have you been? Haven’t seen much of you lately.

Joe

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m not singling you out at all Vin by any means ... I’m just ranting in general about  the crowds that think that strength keeps increasing astronomically with increased bodyweight.. it doesn’t. Many will agree and many will not... just my opinion, but statistics on lifting poundages would agree.  By the way Vin, how have you been? Haven’t seen much of you lately.

No offense taken.  You are 100% right that it isn't linear, and that marginal returns decrease as the weight goes up, and my comment was not meant to put a mathematical spin to it -- just to recognize that even for a big guy, that was a big number. But on the other hand, the correlation of strength to body weight also isn't zero, so I don't look at a big guy doing 600 and say "Well size doesn't matter, I can do that."  I will never move 600 pounds in any lift, ever.  But I agree that properly trained, I can probably do more than half of most lifts that someone who weighs double my 175 can do.  I hop Mike realized that my intent was to convey my sense of awe at the accomplishment, not to qualify or belittle it.  As a point of reference, how many people his weight (and his age, if we are gonna get into qualifiers lol) can do that?  Not many.

And how have I been -- well, the divorce is not fun, but necessary, and there must be a light at the end of that tunnel.  Saw my son this weekend and whooped him at tennis, which shouldn't be a big deal given that he is only 12, except he is better than me and I don't often whoop him.  So that was cool.  And I pulled 201 on a v-bar at Nate's last week and got air on 205 (I won't say anything about body weight lol, other than that I had never tried v-bar before and that was more than I weigh, so it felt good).  Also PR'd on flask (81) and jug (157).  Nate has some finely seasoned implements, he does.

Still can't close my 150-rated COC 3, that keeps dogging me.  I've done a 148 several times and 141, 143, and 145 seem like I could almost do sets or at least repeated singles, but I just cannot hit that 150 even once.  I think there is also a psychological block nagging me on that.

Hope you are well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

No offense taken.  You are 100% right that it isn't linear, and that marginal returns decrease as the weight goes up, and my comment was not meant to put a mathematical spin to it -- just to recognize that even for a big guy, that was a big number. But on the other hand, the correlation of strength to body weight also isn't zero, so I don't look at a big guy doing 600 and say "Well size doesn't matter, I can do that."  I will never move 600 pounds in any lift, ever.  But I agree that properly trained, I can probably do more than half of most lifts that someone who weighs double my 175 can do.  I hop Mike realized that my intent was to convey my sense of awe at the accomplishment, not to qualify or belittle it.  As a point of reference, how many people his weight (and his age, if we are gonna get into qualifiers lol) can do that?  Not many.

And how have I been -- well, the divorce is not fun, but necessary, and there must be a light at the end of that tunnel.  Saw my son this weekend and whooped him at tennis, which shouldn't be a big deal given that he is only 12, except he is better than me and I don't often whoop him.  So that was cool.  And I pulled 201 on a v-bar at Nate's last week and got air on 205 (I won't say anything about body weight lol, other than that I had never tried v-bar before and that was more than I weigh, so it felt good).  Also PR'd on flask (81) and jug (157).  Nate has some finely seasoned implements, he does.

Still can't close my 150-rated COC 3, that keeps dogging me.  I've done a 148 several times and 141, 143, and 145 seem like I could almost do sets or at least repeated singles, but I just cannot hit that 150 even once.  I think there is also a psychological block nagging me on that.

Hope you are well.

Awesome on the lifts at Nates dude! You are coming along nicely. 

I do not think Mike would have thought you were meaning anything negative about his lift. I also didn’t think you were... just took an opportunity to open a discussion about bodyweight and pounds lifted as it is brought up a lot. Definitely didn’t think you were taking a jab. I like how we can discuss stuff like this and how things can spin off into other aspects of strength. The bodyweight subject gets brought up a lot and I felt the need to express my opinion on it. Also, you do not give yourself enough credit. It is quite possible for you to lift 600 pounds... it just depends on how hard, how often and how bad you want it. I have complete faith in you Vincenzo!

All good here.  I'm going the anorexic route anyway.  Down to 244.  On my way back to my pre-powerlifting days.  215-220.  Heck, I may even settle back to my college weight of 205 for awhile.  

That would still have me overweight according to BMI.  🙄

Edited by Mike Rinderle