Grip Strength Standards

Eric Roussin

Newcomers to grip often ask what is considered a “good number” for a particular event. In my opinion, I think the following are good goals for anyone who wants to demonstrate that they have way above average pound-for-pound strength in the corresponding area of grip strength:

Pinch Strength:

Euro Pinch (one hand): 50% of bodyweight

Euro Pinch (two hands): 100% of bodyweight

Thick Bar Strength:

Rolling Thunder: 100% of bodyweight

DO Axle Deadlift: 200% of bodyweight

Crush Strength:

Grippers (20 mm block set): 75% of bodyweight

Vertical Lift Strength:

Little Big Horn: 100% of bodyweight

2” V-Bar: 150% of bodyweight

Hub Strength:

IronMind Hub: 30% of bodyweight

These percentages probably apply less to people who weigh more than 200 lbs.

What do you think? Are my percentages good? Way off? Do you have opinions on figures for any of the other common grip events?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that bodyweight should be in the equation at all, so I have to say that I disagree with your numbers.

As for standards a good place to look at is the top-100 list at gripsport.org.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think that bodyweight should be in the equation at all, so I have to say that I disagree with your numbers.

As for standards a good place to look at is the top-100 list at gripsport.org.

Absolutely agree! Percentage of BWT for hub lifting? WTF

• Haha 1

I have always looked at "standards" as something an average well trained guy can expect to train up to do.

Those are pretty darn high for a "new guy" to expect entering the sport. 

A double bodyweight Axle for example eliminates all but a few guys I know in the 93K class and almost everyone in the bigger classes.  

Euro Pinch one hand - only Kody and Sundin have done it (Top 100 list 93K & 83K class).  Even Luke isn't hitting that on the List (close though)

Grippers - for a 93K guy that's an average COC #3

Rolling Thunder (new one) not many hitting bodyweight there either.

I am guessing your definition of "standards" is different than mine is all.

Those are numbers most long time competitors strive for.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

Agreed, for the most part. 

I like them except the gripper. That would make me just barely good at grippers and that's probably my worst strength, tho I rarely train it because I'm not a big fan.

I think those are good goals.  I disagree with standards.  Above average could really be much lower.  Those are top level lifts!

Okay - I meant that these would be considered "elite standards" to work towards. Not standards in the more traditional sense that Chris described. 

It's been demonstrated that bodyweight does not correlate very well with certain aspects of grip strength. I still think it's fun to have a target to strive to attain. For lighter guys, the bodyweight percentages can be fun to shoot for.

The board was getting sleepy. I'm glad this topic is waking people up! :)

• Like 1

Andrew Pantke's done some analysis on grip sport results, and for most events there is a strong correlation between bodyweight and weight lifted up to the 93 kg class. Then the correlation diminishes significantly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Andrew Pantke's done some analysis on grip sport results, and for most events there is a strong correlation between bodyweight and weight lifted up to the 93 kg class. Then the correlation diminishes significantly.

This is 100% true 

17 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Standards should be prepared for all weight classes accordingly, because they do not reflect real stands of the matter. Take into account that super heavy weight grip athletes barely possible (even no chances) to be close to these standards in the next events: 2HP, AA, etc. 

Edited by Stanislav

3 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

Standards should be prepared for all weight classes accordingly, because they do not reflect real stands of the matter. Take into account that super heavy weight grip athletes barely possible (even no chances) to be close to these standards in the next events: 2HP, AA, etc. 

This is just a fun discussion. Of greater interest to the smaller guys, no doubt.

Specific standards already exist for each weight class (developed for North American Grip Sport Championships qualification):

43 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Euro Pinch one hand - only Kody and Sundin have done it (Top 100 list 93K & 83K class).  Even Luke isn't hitting that on the List (close though)

There are actually many more men who have accomplished this. I count nearly 20 in the Top 100 database (including all weight classes).

14 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

I thought the same. I am not 1 hand pinching 130 pounds on  euro anytime soon!  Haha but as Eric has said there are some

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I thought the same. I am not 1 hand pinching 130 pounds on  euro anytime soon!  Haha but as Eric has said there are some

Sorry, I meant when I looked at all weight classes. But all of these guys who've done it are in the 59, 66, 74, 83, or 93 kg classes.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

Sorry, I meant when I looked at all weight classes. But all of these guys who've done it are in the 59, 66, 74, 83, or 93 kg classes.

Thank you for the clarification Eric. Was beginning to think I was weak! Haha

Personally, I like the idea with 4 exercises.

The sum of 4 exercises.

Crushing - grippers.Any sets. Maybe 20 mm block or MMS as most populary. Or GHP block sert set too very populary.

Support - axle DO, Inch hold, Crushers (any). Maybe 2.5 Crusher most popular.

Pinch - 2 hands Euro Pinch, Flusk. 

Vertical - Jug 2.5'', Little Big Horne, 2'' V-Bar.

In each weight division. 

Example - 120k+ - 200 RGC gripper close+ 220 pounds lift on Crusher 2.5''+ 230 lift on Flusk 2 hands + 250 lbs. lift on Jug 2.5'' = 900 scores. This elite standart.

For 120k class - 850 scores etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

The sum of 4 exercises.

Crushing - grippers.Any sets. Maybe 20 mm block or MMS as most populary. Or GHP block sert set too very populary.

In each weight division. 

Example - 120k+ - 200 RGC gripper close+ 220 pounds lift on Crusher 2.5''+ 230 lift on Flusk 2 hands + 250 lbs. lift on Jug 2.5'' = 900 scores. This elite standart.

Similar to the existing elite calculations (in pounds):

Total Two-Handed Elite in their weight class (three-lift total for max gripper, axle, 2HP):

120k - 840
120k - 800
105k - 770
93k - 730
83k - 690
74k - 640
66k - 585
59k - 530

Total One-Handed Elite in their weight class (three-lift total for max gripper, 1-Handed axle, 1HP):

120k+ - 507
120k - 487
105k - 472
93k - 452
83k - 432
74k - 407
66k - 380
59k – 352

Some of these might make more sense with an initial offset and smaller bw percentage.

Say one hand pinch, 50% bw for a 200lb guy (sorry, different standards for women maybe so I stand by "guy" here) would be 100lbs. Seems fine, that's good but not crazy.

150 lbs x .5 = 75, pretty good but not elite

300lbs x .5 = 150, not happening

Offset 30lbs, keep the 200lb guy at 100lbs, so that's 30lb + 35% bw

150 = 30 + .35x150 = 82.5, getting up there but not impossible 

300 = 30 + .35x300 = 135. Still probably out of reach, but more realistic

Far from perfect but you could make the math more complicated if you want, just fit it to the data and have a slightly negative exponent as bodyweight goes up. Change the exponent to reduce more on lifts that don't seem to matter that much (like hub) or leave it higher for stuff like axle.

• Like 1

I really like that idea, adding up several events helps average out weird strengths and weaknesses that everybody has

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

Okay - I meant that these would be considered "elite standards" to work towards. Not standards in the more traditional sense that Chris described. 

It's been demonstrated that bodyweight does not correlate very well with certain aspects of grip strength. I still think it's fun to have a target to strive to attain. For lighter guys, the bodyweight percentages can be fun to shoot for.

The board was getting sleepy. I'm glad this topic is waking people up! :)

As "elite standards" those are very good up to 83 or 93K classes.  Big guys are weak pound for pound :).  Too many of those pounds are not in areas that help grip strength.  LOL  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, climber511 said:

As "elite standards" those are very good up to 83 or 93K classes.  Big guys are weak pound for pound :).  Too many of those pounds are not in areas that help grip strength.  LOL  

Yes, one would need forearms like a gorilla to be competitive with a system like that :D 

27 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

The sum of 4 exercises.

In each weight division. 

This is not only elite standard, it's grip monster standard :D 

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Crush Strength:

Grippers (20 mm block set): 75% of bodyweight

I weigh 280 lbs so 75% is 210 lbs......guess I have some work to do if I want to be considered good at grippers 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1