Side Pressure for Lightweights

DavidR

Hey all, I'm new to the GripBoard and I've been having a growing interest in armwrestling, and I've been wanting to know more about the side pressure seen in lightweight arm wrestlers, there are plenty of videos for the heavyweights but not very many on the lightweights. If there are any lightweight competitors here, what is a good side pressure for amateurs to bring to the table? I know technique is more important for beginners to focus on before actually training the muscles used in armwrestling, which become fatigued relatively easy. I'm 19 and armwrestling is something I've been good at from highschool until college. Being the guy that beats much heavier, and taller lol, athletes. I'm 5'8" and 170 pounds with an 18 inch lever from my elbow to my fingertips. My 3 rep max single pulley measurements without using a lot of technique, purely side pressure, is about 100 pounds. Back pressure is another topic for a different time unless anyone wants to chime in. I don't know where I should be at strength-wise if I did ever compete because normal people aren't comparable to the professionals in the sport. And does anyone know of any competitions near West Virginia that I can compete in when I do prepare more and train? Thanks much in advance guys, I hope this underappreciated sport continues to grow in popularity

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious to see the exercise you’re talking about.

However. The best and fastest way to become a stronger armwrestlers is to find a club (or start your own) and start pulling. Complementary exercises are great but if you’re not also practicing on the table with other afmwrestlers then you’re going to get steam rolled at a competition by any serious pro. 

Edited by David_wigren

The only competitions nearby are at county fairs about 2 hours away or maybe at Travis Bagent's place. I don't have a lot of money for a table or proper equipment so I improvised. I used a steel bucket and a trashcan for my table and I tied some weights to a swing. I have a cable with a thick grip attached to the weights and if I want more weight added I can add some plates to this bar attached to it or move the "table" further away, thus increasing the force needed to move it. I feel like this is more dynamic than a lot of equipment because the cable can move, activating your wrist more, and the further you move the handle, the more force is needed for a pin. I brought an average 20 year old man and tried to see if this was an accurate means of training and he could only work about 40 pounds of force for a single rep.

• Like 1

I'd love to organize a club at my university and possibly send the best competitors to competitions further away. This is by far the closest exercise that I've found for armwrestling. It's as easy as moving the table to train different angles and it is easy and affordable to make. Nothing I found online really sufficed to the exception of therabands, but they don't have any real weight behind them unless you use several of them. 

Edited by DavidR
Added topic

On 8/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, DavidR said:

Here's a quick video from a few weeks  back, it shows the setup the best. My form isn't good in it but I've worked on it

Looks like a cool device. Try to experiment with different angles. Right now it kind of looks like the load is only really active in the first half part of the rep. Once you’re past that point there doesn't seem to be much stress on your side pressure.

I would however not advice working on sidepressure to improve your armwrestling. IMO there are other ways that would be more efficient. Don’t get me wrong, having strong side pressure is great, but I believe that deliberately training it teaches your body ineffecient moter recruitment pathways. IMO side pressure is best built during actual armwrestling, where it is inevitably used anyways. Complementary training away from the table should instead focus on static holds for bicep strength and your ability to apply back pressure. Work on your hand strength, pronation strength and forearm flexion strength.