2018 July - Ontario Armlifting Open - Joe Sullivan

Hello fellow grip enthusiasts,

Here is a summary of my first competition in Canada, the “Ontario Arm lifting open”.

My ride to Eric Roussins destination was a little over 4 hours. Did not have to stop once and it is pretty much a straight shot. Arrived at his place and was weighed in. Was 260 on the nose. Lightest I’ve been in the first  year I have been competing. I’ve been as high as 272. All the Canadian competition arrived and I was the sole American in attendance. I met some new faces as well as some guys from nationals this past June. Felt very welcomed by my new Canadian friends.

First event was RT. I was shooting for at least what I got in the Philly Vice Grip Viking challenge @90kg, was very pleased to best that and got 201.5 pounds. 

Second event was silver bullet COC. I went with the 3.5 and managed a hold just under 5 seconds. The set is crucial on this event. Bested my Philly performance again. Very happy as I managed under 3 seconds in that event with the 3.5 in Philly.

Next event was Hub. Very little experience with it and snapped a tendon first time training it back in Feb. still healing! Was very conservative and managed the same as Philly with 55 pounds. Surprised I got the attempt with the injured hand as it actually takes to the hub better than my stronger right hand.

4th on the agenda was blockbuster pinch, I wish I would have shot higher. I got 76.5 I believe and bested Phillys  75. Another event I have little experience in but was surprised how easy my final attempt went up. All is great at this point as I’ve made all 4 attempts on all lifts.

Now for my favorite type of event as many of you know! (No it’s not sledgehammer). I knew I had a chance of getting the top lift or very close to top behind Eric Roussin. Big Justin Major topped out at 180.5. We were very close on all lifts this competition. I  was hoping this event would be the one I would best him in. He has the biggest hands I have ever seen in my life. I will post comparison picture. He lifted 226 on RT like it was nothing and got air with over 240!!! MAJOR FORCE at 6’5 299!! No pun intended as that is his last name!  I topped out at 200 on LBH on my last attempt and had a lot more in the tank!! Eric topped out at 202. After Eric got his last attempt I went and tried 202, got it, then 204, got it, and just barley missed 211.

In the end, I scored exactly what I came to Canada for. To get 2nd in the 100+ kilo class and nip at Justin’s gigantic heels the best I could. Took 4th overal behind Dan Fleming (Spider-Man), JustinCREDIBLE Major, and the overall champ, class act, soft spoken and STRONG Eric Roussin! 

I played it very safe at this competition because I had goals I wanted to achieve. I achieved them. However, I should have risked a few more pounds on each event. No risk no reward. But all in all it was awesome! Can’t wait to come back, and want to thank again having the opportunity to compete in another country with such high level competitors!  Thanks so much my new Canadian grip family!

Joe “Gripping for Jesus” Sullivan

4E083EB2-2494-4AF6-AD2B-20C8FE904268.jpeg

5304EC4A-0295-4F1A-9DA4-321139921A71.jpeg

979B0E42-2407-4C91-B190-B2AA7C02FBF5.jpeg

CB6972DA-87CA-4750-892D-B88008D2907E.png

Sounds like a fun event!

Great job at the contest especially on the RT and LBH. You wanted 200lb on both and you did it!!

Thanks for coming up, Joe! You performed well in every event!

In looking at the scoresheet, I noticed that you were the only competitor to succeed on every attempt in every event. As you mentioned, with a bit more experience on some of the lifts you’ll be able to be more aggressive with you weight selections.

Justin’s hands are indeed freakishly big! Nice comparison pics!

See you in September!

12 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Thanks for coming up, Joe! You performed well in every event!

In looking at the scoresheet, I noticed that you were the only competitor to succeed on every attempt in every event. As you mentioned, with a bit more experience on some of the lifts you’ll be able to be more aggressive with you weight selections.

Justin’s hands are indeed freakishly big! Nice comparison pics!

See you in September!

Thank you Eric! And wow to getting all 4 lifts. That’s a big improvement from Philly for me, haha. Can’t wait until we meet again my friend! 

Joe

27 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Great job at the contest especially on the RT and LBH. You wanted 200lb on both and you did it!!

Thanks Mikey! Yes I met ad exceeded my goals. Very happy! 

Amazing Job Big Joe!  Definitely something to be proud of.  You killed it on every lift!

40 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Amazing Job Big Joe!  Definitely something to be proud of.  You killed it on every lift!

Dude I’m still riding high today. I will be going back in September most likely! I am addicted to competition! So much fun and we could be doing a lot worse things with our time! Wish you could have  joined me yesterday!

I am glad that you did so well.  Go check out the Armlifting USA Leaderboards.  Especially the LBH!! 

Riccardo 

6 hours ago, riccardomagni said:

I am glad that you did so well.  Go check out the Armlifting USA Leaderboards.  Especially the LBH!! 

Riccardo 

Wow dude! That is totally cool! Never thought I would be on a list ahead of  world strongest man competitors my first year competing! Very surreal!

B102F705-C14D-4505-8048-43B97B3D1792.png

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow dude! That is totally cool! Never thought I would be on a list ahead of  world strongest man competitors my first year competing! Very surreal!

B102F705-C14D-4505-8048-43B97B3D1792.png

I had a feeling that you would like that.  😉👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2018 at 7:59 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

A6A60949-3512-4F0C-9AC1-B0451C93BFA1.jpeg

Can somebody give me the backstory on that gargantuan clevis in the background of this image? That looks amazing and I want it. 

43 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Can somebody give me the backstory on that gargantuan clevis in the background of this image? That looks amazing and I want it. 

It’s Eric’s... he got it on EBay I believe. 

On 8/4/2018 at 8:37 PM, Climber028 said:

Joe is correct. It was an eBay find about 6 years ago. Weighs 132 lbs. Pin diameter of about 3.3”. It cost me $300 plus shipping back then. I feature it in grip medleys from time to time.

• Thanks 1

That's pretty sweet. Makes me wish I lived near a shipping yard I bet they have all sorts of stuff waiting to be gripped.