2018 June - Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge - Mikael Siversson

Mikael Siversson

June 30th, 2018

Just back from the competition. I did quite poorly in the events I thought would suit me well and performed okay in the reverse bending which I had not trained in 10 years!

Pinch was dissappointing both for me and my daughter Shawna. It was slippery, especially for those unlucky to start first (Shawna). The problem is related to the fact that the Euro set up is never used between competitions so it just sits there slowly attracting god knows what and it does make is very slippery. Last year the surface was completely scrubbed clean of chalk though and it felt okay in that competition. This time it was decided to leave it with chalk attached and it simply does not work. One guy who pulled about 76k last year bombed out at 66k! Shawna almost bombed out but eventually managed to pull 49.5ish, which is way below her training numbers. I was around 91-93k in training leading up to the competition and just managed to pull 83k something in my last attempt. I missed the first two attempts at this weight and for each passing attempt it felt marginally less slippery. The pinch set up at this venue is never going to be great unless someone maintains it by training on it so next time I think they will need to scrub it clean of chalk again.

Grippers was sort of as expected with 136 right and 113 left. I can't complain too much as I only train grippers once a fortnight.  Shawna performed very well in this event closing a #1 right hand (73lbs), which she has never managed in training, and she got 58lbs lefty. She was disadvantaged compared to the males because of big jumps between the grippers.

Axle was a complete disaster. I opened with 127.5k but got stuck with 135k. I simply was running out of energy at this stage. This year I arrived one day later than last year and three days is not enough for me to recover from the jetlag. Last year I also stayed at 74k year round whereas this year I had to drop from 77k within a month. I think it works better staying at a steady weight. Shawna did well pulling 90k.

Reverse bending went much better than expected and I think I ended up in split third place. Unfortunately they did not have any steel available suitable for females.

Overall this write-up reeks of excuses but it is kind of difficult to always and I do mean always having to show up to a grip comp suffering from jetlag as the nearest grip comp is on the other side of the planet...always.

Judging was great though and Arne, his daughter Linnea and Martin did a really good job in all aspects organising the competition (apart from the crappy condition of the Euro:laugh).

• Like 6

Have you considered attending the International King Kong Grip Challenge in Melbourne at the end of October?

Not really as it does not include the major event, the way I see it of course.

11 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Not really as it does not include the major event, the way I see it of course.

Two Hand Euro Pinch device or the LGC one inch vertical bar (:grin:)?

20mm block set grippers, 2hp Euro  and axle. Have not done 1 inch vbar in competition since 2006.