Pinch grip improvisation

Aleksandar Milosevic

Hey guys, I made something that resembles an Euro pinch device.

It works fine, I've never trained my pinch seriously, but now I'm gonna use this.

I just have a dilemma, since the blue surface that I grip is a bumper plate, which only has about 7-8 centimeters of flat surface that I can put my fingers on, the grip on it is very shallow, about 50% of my finger length is on the surface, my palm doesn't touch the surface at all.

So my dilemma is should I make a wooden plate, that's completely flat or should I just keep training like this? Does it make a big difference when you have your whole hand on the weight compared to just the fingers? I managed about 45 kg for 5 sets of 5 easily.

Thank you all.

35932365_1962822654031024_8961726297084526592_n.jpg

• Like 1

Ditch the bumper and put 2 steel plates in the pin with the flat sides out. As you get stronger you can add weight or get larger plates. Or you can just buy a euro 

I liked the way you made the euro pinch device out of your loadingpin, thank you for the idea!👍 but I would also ditch the bumper and put 2 steel plates together with flat sides out. If you dont have that, the bumper is better than nothing👍 I bought the "Industrial Grip Strength volume 2" DVD from Adam T. Glass. World class pincher. In the film he explains that it's good to use all kind of different thicknesses and different surfaces to pinch on. 

I threw this together. I'm not a master welder and machinist like every grip guy seems to be but I'm not too bad with dead trees. Not that strong but neither am I so it gets the job done. I modeled the curve after a 45lb plate.

20180520_171630.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I'm not a master welder and machinist like every grip guy seems to be but I'm not too bad with dead trees.

Fortunately, today you don't have to be. You can always exchange money for goods like a grip device.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Ditch the bumper and put 2 steel plates in the pin with the flat sides out. As you get stronger you can add weight or get larger plates.

3 hours ago, Glenni said:

I liked the way you made the euro pinch device out of your loadingpin, thank you for the idea!👍 but I would also ditch the bumper and put 2 steel plates together with flat sides out.

I started by using 2 - 20k plates smooth sides out on a loading pin.  Works well depending on the plates. 

If the bumper plate is flat both sides, you could just put spacers (a few 2.5 or 5lb plates) on either side so your fingers can reach further down.

But friction is a huge part of it so to be comparable to any other device, you really need steel to hold onto.

Hey guys, thank you all for the responses. The thing is, believe it or not, nobody in Serbia uses steel plates, and if they do they are hollow on both sides. It's working fine, I just used it again today and I feel like I'm gonna gain a lot of strength just using this improvisation. After I get a bit stronger, I'll just make a pinch block from steel. 

I don't know if it's common, but my wrists get FRIED training pinch like this. I'm using ice right now on my wrists.