New adjustable gripper came in

ChimpGrip

Over the years I've trained up to #4 close levels with 4 very radically different training programs and methods. With layoffs, change of focus, or unrelated injuries between each time. There is no one best way to train and no perfect program. Often it is more important how much recovery time you are getting and how you are approaching the training (intensity level) than just the reps and sets and days. Maybe you are just going too intense too often? I remember running a test group a few years back on a training program I wanted to turn into an ebook that I never got around to finishing. 6 or 7 guys including myself. One of the factors in the plan was a certain level of intensity in the worksets that was way below max effort as planned. All of us but one guy followed the intensity recommendations and all of us except the one guy had huge gains in short time. The other guy was stagnant then went backwards. He was following the recommended sets, reps and days of training but not the recommended intensity level and his CNS was taking a beating and was unable to recover in time much less supercompensate. Was a good lesson. 

Good luck with getting it figured out and moving forward to your goals.

- Aaron 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Try for a month or so grippers at the very end of your grip workout to change things up- I tried it and it worked great! "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius.      " Be prepared to go 15 rounds."- Greshamgripper

Should I just by a GHP level 5? 

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Should I just by a GHP level 5? 

Toughen up mentally and not worry about what others are closing just because you not strong enough.

7 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Toughen up mentally and not worry about what others are closing just because you not strong enough.

Eventually, I will be strong enough. 

27 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Can you list your current grippers?

CoC #1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 x 2, and a 4 (all standard, non-filed and unrated)

a filed #3 rated at 160, and a choked custom #3 

GHP level 6 and 10

Tetting world class and Hercules 

cheap store-bought gripper 

Edited by ChimpGrip

My opinion is that you don't need any more grippers.  You have more than what you need to close the #3, and efficiently at that. 

I would immediately start filing the hardest gripper you have that you can close for 4-6 reps.  Immediately.  Do it now.  :)

(probably the #2?)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cannon said:

My opinion is that you don't need any more grippers.  You have more than what you need to close the #3, and efficiently at that. 

I would immediately start filing the hardest gripper you have that you can close for 4-6 reps.  Immediately.  Do it now.  :)

(probably the #2?)

Hmm I might be able to get the 2.5 for 4-6, I never try because it tires my grip for my heavier attempts. I’ll just buy a 2.5 and 2 filed from you guys. 

By always going more for the heavy single with minimal training volume what you are doing is testing not training. Need more training volume in the 70-90% range and less testing and you will start improving again.

• Like 2

My best (non choker) closes are 126 parallel set, 105 TNS.

105-115 is a good working range for me.  Singles with a hold on the high end, wider set doubles or triples on the lower end. Higher volume beats up my knuckles.

But I'm definitely not great at grippers. My plan is to get stronger at everything else and hope gripper strength follows, eventually.

Worst thing you can do is fail a bunch of closes all the time, seems like it programs your brain to almost close stuff and you'll get stuck there.

43 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Hmm I might be able to get the 2.5 for 4-6, I never try because it tires my grip for my heavier attempts. I’ll just buy a 2.5 and 2 filed from you guys. 

I'm confused. 

You have a 2 and 2.5.  File them immediately.  (I sell grippers and I'm telling you not to buy more lol)  Filing grippers is a way to keep your arsenal relevant as you get stronger.  Otherwise, what are you using them for?  Warm ups?  You only really need one easy warmer-upper like a #1 (which you also have).  Also, training on filed grippers is one of the things I have personally found to have the greatest carryover to closing harder grippers. 

Reread Acorn's post.  You're not doing anywhere near enough volume in the 4-6+ rep range (an assumption for sure, but based on your comment above). 

I would recommend filing your #2 and doing like 8 sets of 4-6 reps.  Work on speed.  Make all the reps deadly fast.  Don't move on to heavy singles.  End the workout when you're not getting 4 reps or when reps are slow.  Don't work out again until your hands and CNS are fresh.  If a task like typing on a keyboard feels easy and coordinated, your CNS is likely fresh. 

• Like 2