New adjustable gripper came in

ChimpGrip

And it’s a #3.

Would this be a good routine to follow the next 4-5 weeks? 

#1x4 reps 

#1.5x3 reps 

#2x1 

#2.5x1

adjustable #3- What is the best to do here? Start super narrow and go from there, or start wide? 

That's what I'd do, start from the handles almost touching and work up slowly. Sometimes it's better to progress slowly even if you feel like you can do more.

• Thanks 1

I would also start with the handles super narrow and work your way up wider. Hope you reach your goals👍

• Thanks 1

My advice to people on gripper training is always the same. I believe your main training should be just regular gripper closes (no chokers, no gimmicks) and then throw in the extra stuff after (negatives, strap holds, chokers etc). 

• Like 4

On 6/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, Chez said:

My advice to people on gripper training is always the same. I believe your main training should be just regular gripper closes (no chokers, no gimmicks) and then throw in the extra stuff after (negatives, strap holds, chokers etc). 

I want to have a well-rounded grip. I train plate pinched every now and then, do rolling thunder one arm lat pull-downs, and then grippers. 

My focus is grippers, but how much of the other stuff can I do in a session without overdoing it and being in pain the next morning? 

Would something like this work? 

Week 1- grippers And plate pinches 

Week 2- grippers And hub lift or thick bar training

Week 3- grippers And back to plate pinches 

etc

• 1 month later...

Still can’t close this mother (bad word filter)ing gripper.

what is going on here? Is it the result of genetic inferiority? 

Just now, Climber028 said:

Lack of patience

I’ve been training with these god damned things for 4 years and it’s still stuck at the same plateau, meanwhile everyone else on here is repping a #3 or training with insane grippers. Maybe I just need to crush my f’ing hand.

Is it a choked gripper your talking about? If that's the case you could try to start with the handles very close to each other, like 5-10 mm or so and then work yourself up from that. If you can't close it from there, then the grippers is too hard for you to train with. You could do braced closes with it though but if you don't have the strength to close it from 10 mm I think it's better to just use a lighter gripper to start with.

Also, if you're stuck and can't progress with heavy singles then you need to do more with less. That is, more volume with less resistance.

• Like 1

Honestly, have you watched Chez’s gripper advice video and planned out a program based on that? Chez is an unbelievable resource and he’s made an incredibly in depth video designed to help people who want to train grippers  

Have you started a training log in the forum below? I looked and may have missed you but I didn’t see a training log. 

Dude, people on this forum want to help you, but we need a little more from you. Start a training log. There’s a lot of helpful information that people can share to help you tweak your programming to help busy your plateau. People posted in the training log I started (and haven’t kept up) and gave me so many useful pointers in just the first few posts. Take advantage of the fact that everyone is here because we want you to succeed. 

• Like 1

Looks really low in volume to me.  Maybe if you've been working with singles for a while switch focus and try to rep out some of the lighter grippers for sets of 3-5.  Maybe some weak point training focus also depending on where you feel you need the most work might help also.

I'm no expert btw im pretty new to grip but these methods have worked for me for general strength training

Edited by Anyonecanhappen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Is it a choked gripper your talking about? If that's the case you could try to start with the handles very close to each other, like 5-10 mm or so and then work yourself up from that. If you can't close it from there, then the grippers is too hard for you to train with. You could do braced closes with it though but if you don't have the strength to close it from 10 mm I think it's better to just use a lighter gripper to start with.

Also, if you're stuck and can't progress with heavy singles then you need to do more with less. That is, more volume with less resistance.

Yes, I have used it but not a whole lot (I’ve been doing heavy rolling thunder one-hand lat pull downs and other things, I don’t want to over do it). 

I don’t know if I’m using it wrong or what, but when I get the choked #3 down to less than an inch, I just hold it and try to get the handles to touch. Failed. I got it down to about 10mm last night, or something close to it. Still, I failed to touch the handles. 

I don’t think it’s too heavy of a choked gripper either, Based on what I was told before (maybe this reveals that it is, somehow, too heavy). I have had a GHP level 6 since September 2014, still haven’t closed it. 

I have closed a #2.5 numerous upon numerous of times over the last 4 years. The #3 was the recommendation. 

I started my gripper training overall with more volume, doing warm up and warm down sets of 10-20 with the #1 and 8-13 with the #1.5

On 8/5/2018 at 8:52 AM, Tom Flesher said:

Honestly, have you watched Chez’s gripper advice video and planned out a program based on that? Chez is an unbelievable resource and he’s made an incredibly in depth video designed to help people who want to train grippers  

Have you started a training log in the forum below? I looked and may have missed you but I didn’t see a training log. 

Dude, people on this forum want to help you, but we need a little more from you. Start a training log. There’s a lot of helpful information that people can share to help you tweak your programming to help busy your plateau. People posted in the training log I started (and haven’t kept up) and gave me so many useful pointers in just the first few posts. Take advantage of the fact that everyone is here because we want you to succeed. 

Watched quite a few of them. 

I’ll start posting what I’m doing in the training section. Here’s what I did last night

easy store-bought gripper 2x20

#1 1x5 (I can normally do this gripper 20 plus times, but I cut down on volume here)

#1.5 1x3 

#2 1x1

#3 1x1 attempt (failed

choked #3 1x1- braced squeeze and got close, but no close

#2.5 (Left Hand only) 1x1 attempt (failed

choked #3 retry, down to 10mm or less- same result, no close. I have never touched the handles together on this thing without using my leg to press against. 

#2.5 forced close with right hand (I destroyed my hand during the choked #3 attempt)

#1 1x8 warm down 

19 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I don’t think it’s too heavy of a choked gripper either, Based on what I was told before (maybe this reveals that it is, somehow, too heavy). I have had a GHP level 6 since September 2014, still haven’t closed it. 

It’s too heavy of a gripper. 

13 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It’s too heavy of a gripper. 

Well I didn’t think of it at first since I had closed the #2.5 so many times (average rating 125 versus 115-the average level 5 rating). 

I don’t know a lot about your gripper training in the past, but Chez’s recent gripper video is a great resource. I also had success with Jedd’s CBT (cadence based training) program.

sorry if you have already used these programs in the past 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yes, I have used it but not a whole lot (I’ve been doing heavy rolling thunder one-hand lat pull downs and other things, I don’t want to over do it). 

I don’t know if I’m using it wrong or what, but when I get the choked #3 down to less than an inch, I just hold it and try to get the handles to touch. Failed. I got it down to about 10mm last night, or something close to it. Still, I failed to touch the handles. 

I have closed a #2.5 numerous upon numerous of times over the last 4 years. The #3 was the recommendation. 

I started my gripper training overall with more volume, doing warm up and warm down sets of 10-20 with the #1 and 8-13 with the #1.5

It's too heavy for you. I think Matt was going to say you should have a GHP6 as a choked gripper. Usually you should use the same gripper (or slightly harder) than your goal gripper for the chokered gripper.

I would stay away from thick bar if I were you. Try specialize in grippers for at least 3 months or so. If you have been doing grippers for that many years without any progression to speak of, you really need to focus more on it I believe. You clearly are not genetically gifted for grippers then. So you need to work very hard to get further. I think you could probably train some pinch but thick bar really kills gripper strength I can tell you that.

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's too heavy for you. I think Matt was going to say you should have a GHP6 as a choked gripper. Usually you should use the same gripper (or slightly harder) than your goal gripper for the chokered gripper.

I would stay away from thick bar if I were you. Try specialize in grippers for at least 3 months or so. If you have been doing grippers for that many years without any progression to speak of, you really need to focus more on it I believe. You clearly are not genetically gifted for grippers then. So you need to work very hard to get further. I think you could probably train some pinch but thick bar really kills gripper strength I can tell you that.

Could it be a lot thick bar work and lack of consistency that lands me where I’m at today? 

Just now, ChimpGrip said:

Could it be a lot thick bar work and lack of consistency that lands me where I’m at today? 

Well a lot of thick bar work will make your crush weaker, that I can say for sure. If you want to bring your strength up with grippers you need to train with them consistently and if you're going to do thick bar, it needs to be low to moderate intensity and low volume. Otherwise it will take you years and years for very small gains with grippers. In your case maybe no gains at all. So yes I think that can be the reason for your lack of progress.

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Well a lot of thick bar work will make your crush weaker, that I can say for sure. If you want to bring your strength up with grippers you need to train with them consistently and if you're going to do thick bar, it needs to be low to moderate intensity and low volume. Otherwise it will take you years and years for very small gains with grippers. In your case maybe no gains at all. So yes I think that can be the reason for your lack of progress.

Alright then. For what it’s worth, when I first started with grippers I could not close a 2 and struggled a bit with the #1.5. Once I began working out with them, it did not take long to close the #2.5 with right hand and the #2 with the left.

Is it ok to do a four inch-thick wrist roller for assistance? And plate pinches are ok?

One last question: How frequent should I train grip? I last trained Friday, when would be the next ideal day? I do powerlifting routine work on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s, and assistance work for that Saturday’s. 

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Alright then. For what it’s worth, when I first started with grippers I could not close a 2 and struggled a bit with the #1.5. Once I began working out with them, it did not take long to close the #2.5 with right hand and the #2 with the left.

Is it ok to do a four inch-thick wrist roller for assistance? And plate pinches are ok?

One last question: How frequent should I train grip? I last trained Friday, when would be the next ideal day? I do powerlifting routine work on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s, and assistance work for that Saturday’s. 

It's hard to say how you should train since people differ a lot in how they respond to different training frequency.

The problem with thick bar and grippers is that both exercises trains the flexors very hard. So if you do let's say grippers and thick bar twice a week each you're actually training the same muscles four times a week.

Pinch is easier to combine with either of those because it doesn't train the muscles in the exact same way, so you get variety. Although I think you should be careful, at least in the beginning with wide pinch because it can be harsh on the tendons. For thin and normal width pinching I have not found it to be a hindrance for grippers or for thick bar, I think they go well together.

• Like 1

Chez has found anecdotally that his best gripper workouts come the day after training pinch. You may have similar results - it’s worth trying. 

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's hard to say how you should train since people differ a lot in how they respond to different training frequency.

The problem with thick bar and grippers is that both exercises trains the flexors very hard. So if you do let's say grippers and thick bar twice a week each you're actually training the same muscles four times a week.

Pinch is easier to combine with either of those because it doesn't train the muscles in the exact same way, so you get variety. Although I think you should be careful, at least in the beginning with wide pinch because it can be harsh on the tendons. For thin and normal width pinching I have not found it to be a hindrance for grippers or for thick bar, I think they go well together.

1 minute ago, Tom Flesher said:

Chez has found anecdotally that his best gripper workouts come the day after training pinch. You may have similar results - it’s worth trying. 

I haven't tried it the day before but two days before. I don't think pinch is hurting my gripper strength at all though. However when I trained blob negatives (because I can't lift the damn things) I did feel that I got weaker in all aspects of grip.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, ChimpGrip said:

I’ve been training with these god damned things for 4 years and it’s still stuck at the same plateau, meanwhile everyone else on here is repping a #3 or training with insane grippers. Maybe I just need to crush my f’ing hand.

Try for a month or so grippers at the very end of your grip workout to change things up- I tried it and it worked great! "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius.      " Be prepared to go 15 rounds."- Greshamgripper

• Like 1