Possible or not ???

Ruairi

I just set my goals for 2018 and I'm not sure if they are crazy or impossible, but one thing is for sure I'm going to give it my all.

1. COC 3: Now I can close it with a relatively wide set, but not with Credit card Goal - COC 3 certification.
  2. COC 3.5: Now - 1 cm from close : Goal - parallel set close. 
  3. GHP 8:  Now - 1cm from close: Goal - parallel set close
  4. Iron Mind Pinch Grip Block: Now - 27.5kg: Goal - 35kg
  5. Iron Mind Rolling Thunder: Now - 67.5: Goal - 80kg
  6. Right Hand MM2, Left Hand MM1
  7. Electronic Hand Dyno.: Now - 80KG: Goal 95KG 

Well, there's no point in setting easy goals, if I can get 5 of the 7, it will be great !.

2019 goal is pretty simple, Tetting Hercules with credit card set.😅

What do you guys think is going to be the most difficult of these goals?.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can’t imagine adding +20% on Rolling Thunder. I hate that lift. I can’t ever make any progress. 

• Like 1

I think you can get the blockbuster. 😌Crush strength for me at least there is no way to predict when it will go up.

• Like 1

I don't think all of that is possible in six months. Unless you have some really freaky strength genes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

I can’t imagine adding +20% on Rolling Thunder. I hate that lift. I can’t ever make any progress. 

Yeah!, I hate it too. Only thing is, I haven't put much time into it so far. Looking back through my training logs, I have only ever tried it 9 times and every time after doing my gripper exercises, so maybe there is a slim chance.

32 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think all of that is possible in six months. Unless you have some really freaky strength genes. 

Unless Guinness consumption has altered my genes, I'm pretty normal (I think). I'm guessing a few of the exercises will move quicker than the others. One thing though, I have been spending a lot of time on grippers and not much on other exercises so I'm hoping that I may be at an earlier stage in the block and rolling thunder than I am on grippers. I could plateau on anything though, so who knows, I'll just keep switching it up.  

6 hours ago, wobbler said:

I think you can get the blockbuster. 😌Crush strength for me at least there is no way to predict when it will go up.

Cheers, I actually like the block so I don't mind putting extra hours into it. 

55 minutes ago, Ruairi said:

Unless Guinness consumption has altered my genes, I'm pretty normal (I think). I'm guessing a few of the exercises will move quicker than the others. One thing though, I have been spending a lot of time on grippers and not much on other exercises so I'm hoping that I may be at an earlier stage in the block and rolling thunder than I am on grippers. I could plateau on anything though, so who knows, I'll just keep switching it up.  

Well, looking at the results from this years NAGS Championship (North American Grip Sport Championship). Only one guy closed a gripper that was equal and harder than a #3.5 and GHP8 and that guy is one of the strongest in the world with grippers.

The numbers for the Rolling Thunder and Pinch you list are not super hard by themself, good numbers but not super hard. The problem is the time frame. If you were able to pull this off it basically means you would be a contender for a top spot in NAGS next year if you were to compete there. In my opinion that is unrealistic. Is it impossible? No, but it's not very realistic if you ask me.

It has been done, Morgan here on gripboard could have pulled this off in 6-12 months for sure, but he's so far from the norm you can come in my opinion and he also had many years of strength training under his belt before he started grip.

I would say the grippers are the hardest of the feats you listed. I would say that the MM2 is the hardest of them. The MM2 is easier than a #3.5 and GHP8 but you have to be able to close it on demand and get a good video of it, which is easier said than done.

Also the dynamo numbers you list are not proportional to the other feats you listed, if you're closing a #3.5 you'll be well above 100 kg on pretty much any dynamometer.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the biggest problem is trying to accomplish both crush, pinch and open hand strength feats at the same time, and I don't think it's going to work like that. I think you gotta train one type of strength for some time, or have one main goal + other supplemental ones.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Well, looking at the results from this years NAGS Championship (North American Grip Sport Championship). Only one guy closed a gripper that was equal and harder than a #3.5 and GHP8 and that guy is one of the strongest in the world with grippers.

The numbers for the Rolling Thunder and Pinch you list are not super hard by themself, good numbers but not super hard. The problem is the time frame. If you were able to pull this off it basically means you would be a contender for a top spot in NAGS next year if you were to compete there. In my opinion that is unrealistic. Is it impossible? No, but it's not very realistic if you ask me.

It has been done, Morgan here on gripboard could have pulled this off in 6-12 months for sure, but he's so far from the norm you can come in my opinion and he also had many years of strength training under his belt before he started grip.

I would say the grippers are the hardest of the feats you listed. I would say that the MM2 is the hardest of them. The MM2 is easier than a #3.5 and GHP8 but you have to be able to close it on demand and get a good video of it, which is easier said than done.

Also the dynamo numbers you list are not proportional to the other feats you listed, if you're closing a #3.5 you'll be well above 100 kg on pretty much any dynamometer.

Cheers for the great advice. I figured the MM2 was going to be the most difficult, being able to close it on demand by December is most likely impossible, I was hoping for a freak day and get the 3.5 or GHP 8 but, by no means expecting it to be something I can do on demand. I probably should cross off the dyno, it is a cheap Chinese one so it may not compare correctly to better quality ones, although it's still nice to see the numbers go up on it.

29 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

My opinion is that the biggest problem is trying to accomplish both crush, pinch and open hand strength feats at the same time, and I don't think it's going to work like that. I think you gotta train one type of strength for some time, or have one main goal + other supplemental ones.

This, I think is my biggest problem too. Based on this advice I'll probably focus on Grippers as my main Goal until COC 3 certification and maybe MM1 and have the block and Rolling Thunder as supplemental. I could then change that for a few months and have the Block as main and grippers and Rolling Thunder as supplemental etc... Thank You!

My opinion is that the biggest problem is trying to accomplish both crush, pinch and open hand strength feats at the same time

Big time agree here.  For the majority of people, they would need to specialize for each goal.  I won't say 100% because there are always those potential super freaks.  However, typically even a super freak will fall short of one super freaky result for a feat unless they specialize. I doubt Morgan would be at the top of the MM ladder if he was doing a ton of pinch work for example.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Wish you the best in your pursuit of your goals! Curious what are your gripper ratings? I have a GHP 8 that I just closed with a 20 mm However.... only rated 161:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Wish you the best in your pursuit of your goals! Curious what are your gripper ratings? I have a GHP 8 that I just closed with a 20 mm However.... only rated 161:)

Wow that is ridiculously low for a GHP8!

Strong close tho :rock

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Wow that is ridiculously low for a GHP8!

Strong close tho :rock

No doubt!! I bought brand new GHP 8 and had it rated at Cannon Powerworks(best in the business) and it came back rated #161 - I just ordered another GHP 8 this time pre-rated # 174.

36 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I never had it rated, but it does feel quite a bit easier than my COC 3.5,  so it could be a bit on the low side. I'm still miles off closing it, so well done on the 20 mm .  I'll get a rated one later on in the year.

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

@Kluv#0 King's X Mike... You dog that is a killer close!

Thanks beast!! I just shared that as I found it funny how "light' the GHP 8 was and gripper ratings have big effect on whether someone achieve a gripper close or not- not even in the lower range listed at CP, LOL. I love the GHP grippers though as the knurling is perfect and nice bevel that doesn't aggravate my mid palm

Today I spent a long time on the Gripboard and in particular going through @Chez training log. Wow!, what an intense amount of training to get to that COC 3 certification, it's both impressive and scary. 

After reading this, I have decided to do a training log of my own and will set up a new topic in the training log section in the next few days. It will be impossible to be as interesting and diverse as Chez's, but I do hope creating one will motivate me.  I have made huge progress since last August when I couldn't even close a COC 0.5, and have attached some videos that I made today to give everyone an idea of how far I have come, and also to let me know how far I have to go !.

Right Hand - Very close on the COC 3 credit card set and slightly less than a centimeter to go on a COC 3.5 from a parallel set.

Left Hand -  Not far behind really, it's about where my Right hand was a month ago.

https://youtu.be/nGyk7fIC5qg

I look forward to sharing my progress and hopefully I'll get some tips on the way.

• Like 3

Very strong gripper attempts!! You will get all of your gripper goals no doubt - I haven't seen your other grip abilities to say whether you will attain those but they are modest goals

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very strong gripper attempts!! You will get all of your gripper goals no doubt - I haven't seen your other grip abilities to say whether you will attain those but they are modest goals

Cheers bud!

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Great progress dude, keep it up.

Really appreciate this, thanks. 

great progress dude. You have come a long way. I'm sure you will achieve your goal. the hardest part of training is figuring out what works for you. once you got that down, the progress comes quickly. you will need to make tweaks along the way to blast through plateaus. Starting a log is a great idea to keep you motivated. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

great progress dude. You have come a long way. I'm sure you will achieve your goal. the hardest part of training is figuring out what works for you. once you got that down, the progress comes quickly. you will need to make tweaks along the way to blast through plateaus. Starting a log is a great idea to keep you motivated. 

Cheers bud !.

Right now I have been doing a lot of singles and always starting with a credit card set, even for my negatives and over crushes. I can only do one massive grip session a week, but I try to do two other short sessions during the week with a warm up and a few attempts at my goal grip. This seems to be working right now, but I really love grip training and once I hit a plateau, I'll refer to your log and others to see how I can mix it up. Thanks again. 

• Like 1