Derek Poundstone put me in the hospital: Rhabdo

Mike Rinderle

7 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bad news.  Numbers went back up for some reason.  24,000.  Should be under 200. They are now pushing a liter of fluid an hour into me via the IV.  Should be a fun night of peeing.  So I got that going for me.  🤣

Yeah, sorry to hear this. Hope it turns for the better soon. 

Btw, I already knew your mental strength was strong. That’s pretty self evident from all the steel bending and grip lifts you’ve achieved over the years. But getting Rhabdo from curls, man that’s just on another level completely!

Get well soon brother!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Yeah, sorry to hear this. Hope it turns for the better soon. 

Btw, I already knew your mental strength was strong. That’s pretty self evident from all the steel bending and grip lifts you’ve achieved over the years. But getting Rhabdo from curls, man that’s just on another level completely!

Get well soon brother!

Another level of stupid!  😂

Thanks buddy!

7 hours ago, climber511 said:

Sorry to hear this - good luck!

Thanks Chris.  Counting on these guys to fix me.  They pumped 4 liters of fluid into me since midnight.  I've given them 3 back so kidneys are still working. Lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone.  CK numbers are finally below where they were when I came into the hospital.  15,500.  High was 24,000 last night.  They were 17000 when I got here.  Normal is 200 or below.  They will release me around 3000.  I'm thinking Sunday or Monday if there are no setbacks.

4 hours ago, ImpGrip said:

wth  i should get myself checked one of these i do 4 plus hour workouts every day 

Nah, you should be ok.  I'd add a couple hours a day if I were you.  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd workout.  4 hours a day seems a little light if you really want those gains.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3

This is an extreme case of course but we all do "challenges" that looking back make us go "WTH" was i thinking.  I (and most of us) can't count the number of bonehead ideas that seemed so much better when I started than when I finished.  Glad you're getting better Mike - here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

• Like 1

Another big drop overnight.  10,578.  Only 53 times higher than normal now.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Another big drop overnight.  10,578.  Only 53 times higher than normal now.  😁

So what do your biceps actually feel like right now, can you lift your arm without pain?

32 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

So what do your biceps actually feel like right now, can you lift your arm without pain?

Almost. Pretty weak.  Swelling has gone down a lot.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

Luckily it was my biceps.  You get this from legs or back, your numbers can be off the charts.

31 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Luckily it was my biceps.  You get this from legs or back, your numbers can be off the charts.

Well most of us have pretty big biceps but luckily you don't have to worry about that

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Almost. Pretty weak.  Swelling has gone down a lot.

Did you take a measurement before the swelling went down?😄

• Haha 1

Just now, David_wigren said:

Did you take a measurement before the swelling went down?😄

Of course.  Finally hit those 20" Pythons I've airways wanted.  They actually were measuring them because they were worried about compartment syndrome.   I think the top measurement was 52.5 cm.  Felt like they were going to explode.  😂

Best pump I ever had.  Lasted 4 days!  Bwahaha

• Haha 2

I'm going to put an ebook out called

THREE MINUTES TO BIGGER ARMS

ch. 1:  No carbs for 2 weeks

ch.2: Don't drink anything but coffee all day.

ch. 3: Do one 3 minute set of curls in 80° heat.  No rest in between reps.  If it feels like you should quit, do 15 more reps in case you miscounted.

Should sell millions.

• Haha 2

Numbers down to 5038.  Hope they spring me today.  

• Like 3

First - I'm very happy you're on the mend and getting released perhaps today.

Can you talk about the effects of the ketogenic diet on your rhabdo and why you (and/or the doctors) believe it played such a role in what happened to you.  I have been reading about it and performances such as this are never mentioned (of course).  Were you actually in a state of ketosis (tested etc) or just deprived of carbohydrates for a while?  I'm very curious about this type diet for its proposed health benefits for my arteries etc but don't want to put myself at risk for a whole different set of problems when I go climbing etc.  Anyone using a diet of this (Paleo etc) type please chime in with your experiences

12 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Can you talk about the effects of the ketogenic diet on your rhabdo and why you (and/or the doctors) believe it played such a role in what happened to you.  I have been reading about it and performances such as this are never mentioned (of course).  Were you actually in a state of ketosis (tested etc) or just deprived of carbohydrates for a while?  I'm very curious about this type diet for its proposed health benefits for my arteries etc but don't want to put myself at risk for a whole different set of problems when I go climbing etc.  Anyone using a diet of this (Paleo etc) type please chime in with your experiences

I had been eating 10-15 carbs a day for about 2 weeks was definitely in ketosis.

Because my muscle glycogen was depleted, my muscle cells ran out of energy and were damaged faster.  The fact that I was dehydrated on top of that played a major part.  

I would never do anything endurance related without carbs.  Muscle glycogen is a major factor in endurance success.  But that doesn't mean you can't do low carb.  Just make sure you carb up for a couple days before you climb.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

👍💪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Hopefully you get discharged today. Happy Fathers Day Mike!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Hopefully you get discharged today. Happy Fathers Day Mike!

Back atcha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I've been in and out of ketosis many times for years and never had any issues, it sounds like this was just a perfect storm of factors, dehydration and massive over working of a muscle past the point where most would quit. I wouldn't worry about climbing, I would worry about extreme muscular endurance feats tho.

Sprung!  Gained 14lbs of water weight!  Haha

• Like 1

Follow-up blood test at doctor:

CK number dropping nicely: 2700.

Liver numbers horrible, which is normal following Rhabdo apparently.