Jlark27

Golden hex/brass calibration's and questions

Jlark27

Hello all! Does anyone have an accurate rating for the golden hex or off brand 3/8" × 7" Brass ? 

I know the arizona grip strength steel calibration wed page has only one listing at 475 lb. 

For comparison, at 7" I can bend the regular HEX, 5/16 drill rod, shiny and DUKE. All of which have higher ratings on the same calibration page then the golden hex. 

I have read that for brass, the kink is easy and the crush is Damn near impossible. Why then can I not get the kink past 20 degrees? If that is true, I would hate to feel what the crush is like.

How big of a gap could their possibly be between the golden bastard and golden Hexabastard?  The only differences I know of are the shape, weight and volume of the bar.

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this question!!!

Donc101

Not sure, never tried it but would like to know the answer.

Danny Young
Posted (edited)

Hex is geometrically stronger than round stock. Its geometrical structure increases its yield strength by 15-20%. A 7" golden hexabastard calibrates as low as 475 and up to 590. The round 3/8" brass is from low 480 and its highest is 500. Another major factor is the hardness and characteristics of steel depending on carbon levels, grades etc. All of the bastard bars are 1018 CRS and the 5/16 round and hex SS is grade 303 including both the round and hex brass FBBC sells is grade 360. If you can bend a FBBC huge golden bastard then you're ready for the 3/8 hex brass.

Edited by Danny Young

Jlark27

Thanks for the info Danny. So pretty much going to cut down the golden bastard until the hex falls.