Napalm's Nightmare Fun

Mike Rinderle

Played with my new toy today.

Should have done the 2" first. May have gotten 400.  @Lucasraymond and @Jedd Johnson have a killer product here.

500 X 5 on 1" handles - actually 1.25"

395 lbs on 2" handles

Need a longer loading pin or skinnier plates. 😂

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Need a longer loading pin or skinnier plates

And the kid boxes!

• Like 1

I really liked the 2 3/8 -- I think my limitation is my frame's ability to pull the weight, not my ability to hold on with my hands, so I would likely top out just under 300 no matter the width of the handle.  Heck, is there a 3" handle?  I could probably do almost as much on that as 1 inch, but at 3 inches at least 300 would sound like a good pull lol.

• Like 2

Nice pulling Mike💪💪💪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

And the kid boxes!

Those were all higher than 6".  Being 6'4" helps.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I really liked the 2 3/8 -- I think my limitation is my frame's ability to pull the weight, not my ability to hold on with my hands, so I would likely top out just under 300 no matter the width of the handle.  Heck, is there a 3" handle?  I could probably do almost as much on that as 1 inch, but at 3 inches at least 300 would sound like a good pull lol.

You might surprise yourself Vinnie.  Lots of smaller guys can pull north of 400 with a little concentrated training.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 3:20 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Got 400 on the 2" NN

4 hundy

How would that compare to 400 on an axle DO deadlift?  Which is harder?  I assume the axle, but just asking.

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

How would that compare to 400 on an axle DO deadlift?  Which is harder?  I assume the axle, but just asking.

Axle 30-50lb harder depending on person

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Axle 30-50lb harder depending on person

Thanks.  400 sounds so high to me either way.  Nice lift!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I can do 450 on 2 inch NN and can 2 inch axle 360-370 max depending on the day  so it’s a lot different 

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks.  400 sounds so high to me either way.  Nice lift!

They say what you can get on the 2 3/8 inch NN is what you can 2 inch axle. I find that to be about right. 

My 2" axle is at 360. I can only do 338 on 2 3/8 and 400 on 2" NN.  Everyone is different based on their sttengths for sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My 2" axle is at 360. I can only do 338 on 2 3/8 and 400 on 2" NN.  Everyone is different based on their sttengths for sure.

Absolutely. It’s hard to say as a hard and fast rule. There are no hard and fast rules

The textured paint on top of the high pick up height makes the difference. The axle is smooth steel while the NN has textured paint. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chez said:

The textured paint on top of the high pick up height makes the difference. The axle is smooth steel while the NN has textured paint. 

Those help, but I think the main reason is because the weight is suspended below the handle, so you aren't getting the rotation out of your hand that you do on an axle.  The axle brings the thumbs into play more because of the rotation.

The rotating handles on an NN definitely add some difficulty back into the equation, but the spread on the two implements depends on your ability to stop the rotation on the axle IMO.

Without a spinning handle the weight would skyrocket.  Heck, I once came close on 500 lbs with one hand on a plateau buster, albeit on a smaller handle. 450 & 500 p buster  I've done 350 one handed and thumbless on a non spinning 2 3/8" handle when the weight is below on a loading pin.  350 thumbless

So I'm guessing, for me anyway, it's the ability to stop the rotation that makes the axle harder.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My NN max PR is 283, but I never tried an axle max.  I held 175 (body weight) on an axle for 54 seconds for the reddit challenge, and I deadlifted 275 on a regular bar and felt like I had 25-50 pounds left in my legs and no issue at all with the grip, so I could probably do in the 283 range on an axle.  I have an axle but I don't have enough weights to put on it to find out, so maybe next time at Anton's I will try.  I bet Joe's rule of thumb will be a close estimate for many, though obviously just an estimate and everyone will vary some.

• Like 1

Nice big lifts Mike!

Personally, my 2 3/8" NN max and 2 3/8" axle max are about the same. I haven't tried the 2" handles yet but I would expect it's also not far from my 2" axle. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Nice big lifts Mike!

Personally, my 2 3/8" NN max and 2 3/8" axle max are about the same. I haven't tried the 2" handles yet but I would expect it's also not far from my 2" axle. 

Strong thumbs Dube!  

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Strong thumbs Dube!  

Thanks, though I think weak fingers is more accurate...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

They say what you can get on the 2 3/8 inch NN is what you can 2 inch axle. I find that to be about right. 

For me, this rings true.

Got 600 with just the 1" bare steel.  

So:

1" bare steel: 600 (ran outta room on pin

1.25": 500

2": 400

2 3/8": 338

• Like 2