2018 June - NAGS Championship - Rob McMurren

Rob McMurren

I went to NAGS this year with no expectations.  Training had been going well until a skin tear, a work trip and a cold got in the way.    My main goal was to not zero on anything and see Gus have a successful day .  

Grippers suck, or I suck at grippers.  I never spend enough time on them and it usually hurts me in comps.  I opened at 135, made it and went for 145, not even close.  Dropped to 140 and missed it twice.  I had been closing in the 146-149 range 2 weeks earlier but just didn't have it.

2  hand pinch was a PR for me.  I pulled 208 to tie Lucas in the event.  It felt really good , so Lucas and I both went to 218 and both missed.  

Napalms Nightmare.  I had no prior experience with this apparatus, but I really like it.  I opened at 315, took my next lift at 348 or 352, can't remember.  I then jumped to 370.  I took the big jump because I only had 2 attempts left and Eric, Tom and Justin hadn't gone yet.  If I was going to push them I would have to make some big jumps.  370 wouldn't move.  I finished 4th or 5th.

Medley's are my favorite and this one had a lot of implements which suit me.   I went into the medley in 9th overall and came second to Lucas.  I did have a couple of firsts, my first time front levering a 10 lb sledge and I lifted a fatman blob (not during the medley though)

Wrist roller.  We had a wrist roller at NAGS in 2014 and sucked at it then.  Not an event I really look forward to.  Having done Josh's Instagram contest this year helped.  I finished in 57 seconds, which I was happy with.  

In the end I won the 105s over Andrew. and placed fourth overall, which I was extremely happy with, given my shitty start with grippers.

It was good to see Gus Bush do well.   He set a couple PRs, (I think he was top 5 on the napalm)  After we finished the Napalm he says,  "its nice to beat the young guys once in a while"

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Rob McMurren said:

I went to NAGS this year with no expectations.  Training had been going well until a skin tear, a work trip and a cold got in the way.    My main goal was to not zero on anything and see Gus have a successful day .  

Grippers suck, or I suck at grippers.  I never spend enough time on them and it usually hurts me in comps.  I opened at 135, made it and went for 145, not even close.  Dropped to 140 and missed it twice.  I had been closing in the 146-149 range 2 weeks earlier but just didn't have it.

2  hand pinch was a PR for me.  I pulled 208 to tie Lucas in the event.  It felt really good , so Lucas and I both went to 218 and both missed.  

Napalms Nightmare.  I had no prior experience with this apparatus, but I really like it.  I opened at 315, took my next lift at 348 or 352, can't remember.  I then jumped to 370.  I took the big jump because I only had 2 attempts left and Eric, Tom and Justin hadn't gone yet.  If I was going to push them I would have to make some big jumps.  370 wouldn't move.  I finished 4th or 5th.

Medley's are my favorite and this one had a lot of implements which suit me.   I went into the medley in 9th overall and came second to Lucas.  I did have a couple of firsts, my first time front levering a 10 lb sledge and I lifted a fatman blob (not during the medley though)

Wrist roller.  We had a wrist roller at NAGS in 2014 and sucked at it then.  Not an event I really look forward to.  Having done Josh's Instagram contest this year helped.  I finished in 57 seconds, which I was happy with.  

In the end I won the 105s over Andrew. and placed fourth overall, which I was extremely happy with, given my shitty start with grippers.

It was good to see Gus Bush do well.   He set a couple PRs, (I think he was top 5 on the napalm)  After we finished the Napalm he says,  "its nice to beat the young guys once in a while"

Awesome meeting another Detroiter Rob.  Windsor counts; after all, it's south of the D.  Haha

You killed it man and I really hope we get to compete together again!

• Like 3