Oldtime strongman act

David_wigren

Thought I’d share a performance from last week. I was asked to perform as an oldtime strongman in an circus themed opening act at a theatre in Stockholm. 

Instead of the stereotypical mustached trongman in leotards, I figured I’d deliver a more modern take on it and go for a tattooed shirtless strongman. Which I think worked out pretty well. 

I did a few things at the show, acrobatics and lifting people. But I also included a steel bend where I bent a 12 mm x 1 m HRS over my head. Which is a super easy bar to bend, but the next size up would have been a 14 mm bar. And that would’ve been a bit too risky considering I had to bend it over my head with no wraps or padding while making it look easy. So I went with the safe bet of 12 mm. The first pic is just me posing like a douche during the opening act. But if you swipe you can see the bar I bent during my solo act.

• Like 8

I think you perfectly nailed the aesthetic, mixing old-time strongman with modern circus style! I'd love to see a resurgence of circus strongman acts. In talking with some circus performers its seems most feats are better suited for a cabaret type show where the audience can clearly see what you are bending or tearing. But mixing acrobatics and support feats, has a lot of potential for a big stage show too. I hope you do more shows in the future!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, Andrew Dube said:

I think you perfectly nailed the aesthetic, mixing old-time strongman with modern circus style! I'd love to see a resurgence of circus strongman acts. In talking with some circus performers its seems most feats are better suited for a cabaret type show where the audience can clearly see what you are bending or tearing. But mixing acrobatics and support feats, has a lot of potential for a big stage show too. I hope you do more shows in the future!

Thank you, my friend! Yes, the feats have to be visually appealing and strong. The bigger the better! 

I loved every second of it. We have nothing planned right now. But I’ll definitely do it again if they’re putting on another show.

Nice, congrats. How long did you performed on stage?

That BW-Filter makes it look really authentic for me. Before i ever will get to such an event i think i have to invent black/white filter glasses first :D

• Like 1

Congrats, David!  Your muscular definition is very impressive! 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 8:57 PM, manost12 said:

Nice, congrats. How long did you performed on stage?

That BW-Filter makes it look really authentic for me. Before i ever will get to such an event i think i have to invent black/white filter glasses first :D

Haha, thank you! The black and white add to the visual theme I was going for!

My performance was cut up into several parts. It was about 10 minutes in total, of which I was solo for about 2 minutes and of the remaining time was with some of the other performers.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:49 AM, bencrush said:

Congrats, David!  Your muscular definition is very impressive! 

Thank you Mr. Edward!

On 6/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Looks like you were cut out of stone etched with a lazer!

Haha, thank you Joseph! 

Very cool David.  Looking ripped!

• 4 weeks later...

Dude!  Don't bump into any sharp corners.  You'll bleed to death with no fat to protect you.  Looking extremely jacked!  Very cool pic!