13”x12mm 252 kg Steel Shredder 3

David_wigren

This is my submission to David Horne’s Steel Shredder lll contest. The steel is much harder than HRS. I had to resort to the ”under the butt” technique, which I feel just looks so unaesthetic when bending the short bars, lol! But after a few failed attempts trying to bend the bars over my knee and not getting a sufficient kink. With only one steel bar left I had to resort to this tecnique, which is very strong for me! 

Unless someone else sniped the spot position with a last minute bend, this should take the top spot for the Steel Shredders lll. 

I know I’ve might have said this once or twice alteady but never while bending actually hard steel that is close to or on par with what I used to bend, I’ll say it anyway. Even though it might be corny. I’M BACK!!!

• Like 4

The video looks sped up for some reason 😕 I used 60 frames per seconds. The bend was about 55 seconds. Don’t know why the video is acting up.

Very strong bend David! Congrats! I did the 248 kg in about 15 seconds but could not get that damn 252 kg no matter how hard I tried. It is very stout. I have never had much luck with your technique on spike bends. Are you going to keep bending going forward? I have always enjoyed watching your old videos. 

6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Very strong bend David! Congrats! I did the 248 kg in about 15 seconds but could not get that damn 252 kg no matter how hard I tried. It is very stout. I have never had much luck with your technique on spike bends. Are you going to keep bending going forward? I have always enjoyed watching your old videos. 

Thank you Don! Yes the 13” 252 kg was very hard. Even the 14” 231 kg was very hard! I got deep blisters in my palms on three different occasions during the past two months. 

Yes I think so. I will try and go for the 12” 277kg. I tried this bar after the 252 kg bend but could only get a 10-20 degree kink. Left me a big bruise on my leg and I’m walking with a slight limp today. I think the 277 might be possible with a few months training. But anything beyond that is probably going to be too hard for me.

I also want to shoot for a mid and longbar length bend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Thank you Don! Yes the 13” 252 kg was very hard. Even the 14” 231 kg was very hard! I got deep blisters in my palms on three different occasions during the past two months. 

Yes I think so. I will try and go for the 12” 277kg. I tried this bar after the 252 kg bend but could only get a 10-20 degree kink. Left me a big bruise on my leg and I’m walking with a slight limp today. I think the 277 might be possible with a few months training. But anything beyond that is probably going to be too hard for me.

I also want to shoot for a mid and longbar length bend.

How will you go about training for the next bar? Do you think it is best to do isos? Good luck!

Congratulations David! Well deserved!

I agree! This steel is very hard! I had my first try on the 231kg bar last week, but could only bend it in two sessions. The kink and crush felt ok, but I had absolutely no idea on what to do on the sweep! I can generate a good amount of power with the twisted leg technique (or whatever the correct name is).... but only on longer bars 😕 

So, once again, hats off, Sir, great bend!

4 hours ago, Donc101 said:

How will you go about training for the next bar? Do you think it is best to do isos? Good luck!

Isos are good, no, great! But right now I have a bunch of failed bars on pile. I think I’ll bend 1-2 of them each week and see how my strength develops over the next few months.

59 minutes ago, camz said:

Congratulations David! Well deserved!

I agree! This steel is very hard! I had my first try on the 231kg bar last week, but could only bend it in two sessions. The kink and crush felt ok, but I had absolutely no idea on what to do on the sweep! I can generate a good amount of power with the twisted leg technique (or whatever the correct name is).... but only on longer bars 😕 

So, once again, hats off, Sir, great bend!

Thank you, brother! Yeah, I’ve pretty much had the same experience. Kink and crush relatively easy compared to the sweep. All my failed bars have been at the sweep just before the crushdown. It seems with this steel, you have to kink it further than you normaly have to with ordinary HRS before you can sweep/crush it down.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t feel like this one deserved a new topic so I’ll jist post it here. I’m slowly getting the old strength back! Yesterday I put a partial bend on a 15 mm x 16 ” HRS. Got it to 70ish degrees which took me about an hour. Back in 2011 however I could bend these bars to a full ”U” in sub 2 minutes. I know that they are the same strength because they are cut from the exact same length of bar that I bent in 2011. Last month I could not budge this one at all! 

964BD1B0-9457-4ED0-99BE-61BCA704DF3D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see you back at it Wiggy!