Will there be a Gold Nail cert within ...

Tom Flesher

Hello gentlemen and others,

The easiest way I have found for ISO's is to simply take a failed bend and re-wrap. Then hit it for as long as you can manage. If you black out then you're doing well. Brown outs mean you're doing medium. Anything less and you're just a wimpy person.

I am eager to try Robert's method too but this gives me the most real simulation of a bend.

If you want to put in a little more effort you can get a big piece (KOAB or the like) and vise bend it to various points (10-20 degree increments) then wrap it and just hit as long as you can for as hard as you can. Stainless works well because it has a natural flex.

Another idea that @acorn used for a long time was a large piece (I think 1/2") of acrylic type matter (Aaron can hopefully remind me the exact type) cut to 7 or 8". Wrap it up and utilize for ISO's. This also has a natural flex and Aaron used to use it extensively for warmups to stretch his shoulders out for longer bars.

Best,

A formerly strong person

• Like 5

Well said Viking.. I use a 3/8” piece of SS for the same purpose.  (ISO)

but as you mentioned I really like the feel of the rebar because of the flex it has. 

Also, Heavy grippers & KB holds really build that final crush down power that I need!  

Cheers,

-Rob

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 2:46 PM, vikingsrule92 said:

Hello gentlemen and others,

The easiest way I have found for ISO's is to simply take a failed bend and re-wrap. Then hit it for as long as you can manage. If you black out then you're doing well. Brown outs mean you're doing medium. Anything less and you're just a wimpy person.

I am eager to try Robert's method too but this gives me the most real simulation of a bend.

If you want to put in a little more effort you can get a big piece (KOAB or the like) and vise bend it to various points (10-20 degree increments) then wrap it and just hit as long as you can for as hard as you can. Stainless works well because it has a natural flex.

Another idea that @acorn used for a long time was a large piece (I think 1/2") of acrylic type matter (Aaron can hopefully remind me the exact type) cut to 7 or 8". Wrap it up and utilize for ISO's. This also has a natural flex and Aaron used to use it extensively for warmups to stretch his shoulders out for longer bars.

Best,

A formerly strong person

I used 3/4" polycarbonate rod not acrylic. Definitely don't use acrylic, it shatters when you try to flex it. Worked great for what Derek describes for me. Started at 1/2" but that was a little too easy for me by that point in my bending, then went to 5/8 and eventually 3/4 when I was pretty strong at bending. Did those with 7.5" length.

- Aaron

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, robertmiller67 said:

I gotta tell ya J - I’m at the lightest weight I’ve been in years but it doesn’t seem to hurt my bending strength at all..  as of yet!  We will see when I actually start bending the real IM cold rolled stuff!  😮 (CRS)

I’m around 215 -220 these days & it’s actually helped my flexibility imo...  less bulk in my arms & shoulders & I can get the bar higher under my chin for better leverage!  My kink is definitely better which is always my strong suit anyways...  my crush may have lost a little from when I was a full fledged SHW!?  😬 👍🏻

Wish I had @Splendo Daniels crush strength!! 

As far as training my hands & wrist are stronger than ever imo due to Armwrestling for the last 1-1/2 years!  

I’m doing a bunch of extra shoulder / upper back work as well as tons of sledgehammer work for the wrist!  The stuff I normally do in addition to heavy gripper chest crushes also..

I also do special ISO work with re-bar...  some “secret Soviet training” stuff I do that I really can’t talk about!  Jk..  😬😎 I do use rebar for training though...  I’ll elaborate if you guys care to hear?

proby have to post some pics to explain though.  Thanks again guys!   Cheers!  👍🏻😎

Thanks Robert. Wish I had your kink! Kill that thing already!

• Like 1

Thanks big Dan @Splendo!!  

How’s your training going brother & what’s the next big bar for you!??  

Cheers my friend! 💪🏻😎

-Rob 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey SG, look back on page 2 of this thread bud...  I posted a pic of the main rebar I use for ISOs!  

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this? Just saw Juha L. crush a Gold in single IMPs and I’m flabbergasted. Hoping to see one of you guys complete this before the time is up! 

Cheers! 

-Isaiah

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bornintothe said:

Any updates on this? Just saw Juha L. crush a Gold in single IMPs and I’m flabbergasted. Hoping to see one of you guys complete this before the time is up! 

Cheers! 

-Isaiah

Couple of guys going to work towards it

On 1/1/2019 at 12:31 AM, Tommy J. said:

Guys, stay hungry chasing this! Looking back, getting bored bending and stopping is one of my regrettable decisions in the grip world.. dont do the same!

Same here Tommy...  I have numerous goals I’m chasing at the moment & it’s tough to maintain that kind of focus for extended periods!  

Took me almost 5-years of intermittent bending to get the KOAB cert but it was definitely worth it! 

Hope you get back to it my friend as you are one of the most gifted natural benders out there imho!!  

We need to get back on the “Gold Dragon”!

🐉 💪🏻😎

cheers!

-Rob. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I will not do it this weekend lol. I'm getting closer. I can finish 11/32 12L14 Steel at 8 3/8". I can crush a gold from 120 degrees and down. I just can't get a gold started yet. I'm not bending this weekend, but I will bend next weekend.

• Like 4

On 5/31/2019 at 4:21 PM, PITTisKING said:

I will not do it this weekend lol. I'm getting closer. I can finish 11/32 12L14 Steel at 8 3/8". I can crush a gold from 120 degrees and down. I just can't get a gold started yet. I'm not bending this weekend, but I will bend next weekend.

Really awesome man, keep at it!

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder Tom! 

I just started back bending about 2-weeks ago and already crushed a 7x3/8  grade-2 bolt in doubles.  

Been Armwrestling for the last year & now ready to get back at it!  

Good luck gentlemen! 

Rob

• Like 3

10 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Thanks for the reminder Tom! 

I just started back bending about 2-weeks ago and already crushed a 7x3/8  grade-2 bolt in doubles.  

Been Armwrestling for the last year & now ready to get back at it!  

Good luck gentlemen! 

Rob

Nice bend! Any idea what kind of poundage that bolt is?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:36 AM, Tom Flesher said:

Nice bend! Any idea what kind of poundage that bolt is?

Hey Tom, 

thanks for the kind words my friend.  

According to AZ grips ratings... a source I really trust btw, they rate anywhere from mid 500’s to mid 600-lbs range. 

I’d say it had to be around a 600lb bar was it wasn’t far off from a KOAB imho...  I took it down in around 2:00- 2:30 minutes or so it was a tough bar no doubt for me.  

Still at it guys... slowly but surely!! 

Btw, @PITTisKING is very close imo...  he has the size & strength to get the job done!  

Good luck to you brother & we will continue to encourage each other on this huge bar they call the Gold-Nail!   Slay the dragon! 💪🏻💯🐉 

Rob

• Like 3

I did bend today, but didn't get to The Gold. My best today was a 8.375" piece of 12L14 steel trimmed down to .340, so just under 11/32. My goal for today was a .360 piece. I felt strong and every thing felt good, but the pain in my hands got to be too much. I could tell when I was warming up that I wasn't healed from last time. 5/16 12L14 hurt but I pushed through a few more. So I'm disappointed I didn't get the .360, but proud I pushed through the pain to get a couple big bends. I'm also glad that the strength was there, I was ready to go heavier, it just felt like my fingers were about to break. I'm not going to bend for 2 weeks, to let my hands/fingers heal. I will work on my wrist strength and crush in the mean time. I will see how heavy I can bend the last weekend of June. 

• Like 4