Brian Shaw pre World Strongest Man.

Alawadhi

I remember this and want to share it with few people. Brian Shaw competed in Grip before his first WSM competition in 2007 or 2008. He always had strong grip. The earliest mention on him here that I remember was by Clay Edgin and David Horne (David just documenting grip events). We see here in 2005 Iron Will Grip contest, California, U.S.A. that Brian Shaw got the second only after Clay himself. And was the best pincher on that day too. He was documented in David Horne thread too. Clay Edgin in his topic Freak Alert here on the gripboard (he also spoke about him back in Grippermania if anyone remembers it) that he is 6'8", 315 lean muscle, and 9" hands. In Clay's word "Yesterday at my strongman and grip comps, there was a guy from Colorado named Brian Shaw. Brian is the real deal. 6'8", 315 lean pounds. Deadlifted the Inch right and left EASILY multiple times upon request. 9" hands. He closed my #3, missed a hard Elite by 1/16", two hand pinched 200 with lots of gas in the tank, one hand pinched 95lbs without chalk or warmup, pulled 180 on the equalizer handle (2.5" steel, spins on ball bearings), narrowly missed 200 on the same handle, and is just one of those guys who is freaky strong all around. He also ran with 300lbs per hand on 2" farmers walk handles for 100ft in 14 seconds."

He said his strength comes (he thinks) from grippers and strongman training which made his pinch and thick bar super crazy too. We also see Wade here talking about Brian Shaw ( https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/22475-impressive-im-news/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-284572 ) and says is on par with him (when Brian wasn't as strong as he is now. Now is MUCH stronger) along with Sevajian Vache.

Guess what? He became WSM many times when the top people where competing (Unlike Mariusz pudzianowski who didn't have the tops like Zydrunas Savickas except once) and lifted the biggest blob with ease. He also liften the 98KG inch so easily. Certainly our grip training helped him to reach WSM level 😛JK people.

• Like 8

Interesting post! 

• Like 1

Brian Shaw has always been in the top grip of world class.

Unfortunately, there is not even a single grip tournament with enough prize money to make it interesting to him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Interesting post! 

Yeah thanks. I just remembered this on the other topic where we spoke about Shaw and Rich. I then remembered his old topics here and thought to share to our new member who didn't have the privilege to know what happened back then.

20 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Brian Shaw has always been in the top grip of world class.

Unfortunately, there is not even a single grip tournament with enough prize money to make it interesting to him.

Maybe it will happen so wait for it ;) 

• Like 1

Wasn’t there also a video posted, either by Brian Shaw or by a friend of his, where Brian was pinch lifting three 35 lbs plates (or they might have been 15 kg plates)? 

I think Brian has an old account on this board. I don’t think it’s been active for years. But in 2012 when the strict 100 lbs one arm dumbbell curl challenge was up. Brian showed up to the thread and wondered what the big deal was 🤣

• Like 3

16 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Wasn’t there also a video posted, either by Brian Shaw or by a friend of his, where Brian was pinch lifting three 35 lbs plates (or they might have been 15 kg plates)? 

I think Brian has an old account on this board. I don’t think it’s been active for years. But in 2012 when the strict 100 lbs one arm dumbbell curl challenge was up. Brian showed up to the thread and wondered what the big deal was 🤣

Three 35 lbs plates on pin and collars. 

Link on video but video not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlzOugNU3XI

http://gooddogcollar.com/brian-shaw-3-york-35-lbs-plates-pinch-grip/

Edited by Kashtan
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 2:38 AM, David_wigren said:

Yeah I remember it. I remember it was with a pipe in between it too making it easier? I remember the dumbbell challenge. He said that too lol. But someone proposed he uploads a video of the strict curl but he didn't. Maybe he didn't even care or didn't look back?