Mystery grip competition

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I actually don't train for specific events.  Mostly because I don't have the toys.  For instance, going into NAGS I have 1 gripper, no euro, no napalms nightmare, and no wrist roller.  So I just trained a bunch of different types of pinch and thickbar.  I just bought my first rolling handle ever, but it isn't a brand name used in a contest.

I just train generally and hope it carries over.

Exactly . I’m going to put the idea to rest though. Don’t think it will happen. Don’t think enough would Throw their hat in the game.

8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Exactly . I’m going to put the idea to rest though. Don’t think it will happen. Don’t think enough would Throw their hat in the game.

For doing just that Mike you kill it at the comps!

11 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

This can be solved by using the HorneTop from the GripTopz series. You're not gonna pull a bicep on that one unless your bicep is very weak and unhealthy. The WR is "only" 100 kg I believe (which most people won't get near anyways).

Or you could just use real anvils, do holds etc, everything doesn't need to be a 1RM contest.

Shockingly, a lot of the vbar injuries have come at very low weights during warmups.  Lack of concentration.  Engage biceps.  Pop.  

Key is warming up properly, stay focused, and know what you are doing.  Something that can't be expected of everyone at an open contest with newer gripsters.

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I actually don't train for specific events.  Mostly because I don't have the toys.  For instance, going into NAGS I have 1 gripper, no euro, no napalms nightmare, and no wrist roller.  So I just trained a bunch of different types of pinch and thickbar.  I just bought my first rolling handle ever, but it isn't a brand name used in a contest.

I just train generally and hope it carries over.

When I'm getting ready for a contest - my own or others - I train towards my giant Medley - which is 25 to 30 different items.  I never train grippers - I do train 2HP (60-110-160 - 210 - max) so 5 maybe 6 lifts a session - Axle DL if it's in the contest (I only train the DL portion and use a regular bar - I use DB's for the thick bar part to save my glass back). Other than that I don't really care what is thrown at me as far as how I train for it - my training is all over the place anyway.  I do have events I will not compete in due to prior injuries though - V- Bar is one of them - Rim Lift is another for example.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Well, if it's held within driving distance of my house, I'll be there.  And really, isn't that all that matters?  🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Well, if it's held within driving distance of my house, I'll be there.  And really, isn't that all that matters?  🤣

Yes Rindo exactly! Fun with friends competing.

I likely wouldn't travel very far to attend this type of grip contest. I would want to know more than just that there will be one thick bar event, one pinch event, one crush event, and a vertical lift event. I like to train for specific events. I do like the mystery element, but I would want to know the full list of possible events, even if only a small subset of the events would be contested.

I did hurt myself with the V-Bar at last year's King Kong, but luckily it wasn't anything major. My limitation is around the fact that my arms don't fully straighten due to cumulative elbow damage from years and years of armwrestling. Whenever I get to the point that my arms are starting to be forced open due to excessive weight (right around 275 lbs per arm), I feel like something bad might happen. So I won't compete in events where the weight is likely to go much beyond this threshold. For example, I will never do heavy one hand lifts with a 1" handle. I used to own a Plateau Buster. Lifting 300 lbs with it was easy for my hand, but painful on my elbow. The top guys lift north of 600 lbs with it -- something that I could never do.

55 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Shockingly, a lot of the vbar injuries have come at very low weights during warmups.  Lack of concentration.  Engage biceps.  Pop.  

Key is warming up properly, stay focused, and know what you are doing.  Something that can't be expected of everyone at an open contest with newer gripsters.

Yes I agree 100% that proper warm up is the way to go I also agree that it's strange that people doesn't do it properly even to this day with all the information out there.

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes I agree 100% that proper warm up is the way to go I also agree that it's strange that people doesn't do it properly even to this day with all the information out there.

It’s pretty simple in its execution IMO . I agree. But hey everyone’s body mechanics may be different. 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s pretty simple in its execution IMO . I agree. But hey everyone’s body mechanics may be different. 

Yes and I think a very common reason for bicep tears are because of what Eric explained, lack of mobility. I don't know about the V-bar, just in general.

I'll go to anything if it's close enough and I have the time, I'm not picky about events

• Like 1

Gripper- mms, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, CC, silver bullet

pinch- flask (1h or 2h), euro (1h or 2h), blockbuster, adjustable pinch block (3” or 4”), pinch block curl hold for time

Thickbar- Crusher (2”, 2.5”, 3”), NN (2”, 2 3/8”, 3”), Trilobite (2”, 2.5”, 3”), 2” Axle, 2 3/8” axle, 

Vertical lifts- excalibur (2”, 2.5”, 3”), FBBC jug, FBBC Anvil, LBH

Random- sledge hammer variations, Hub variations, blob/block weight reps/holds, wrist roller 

-quick thought on the lists and would be random draw the day of so even the promoter wouldnt have a clue either

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

so Joe lets get a date brotherrr

Tanker,

I thought the idea was kind of dropped due to not enough interest or guys wanting to know what the events were. I would love for it to happen as I have been bitten by the competition bug!  If enough were interested it would be great. Just don’t know when it would come to fruition as next month is the  armlifting comp at Eric Roussin’s and then King Kong. Let’s see who else chimes in. Are you gonna do Erics next month?

Joe

It's unlikely that I could attend but I really like this concept. Especially a random drawing of events. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Gripper- mms, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, CC, silver bullet

pinch- flask (1h or 2h), euro (1h or 2h), blockbuster, adjustable pinch block (3” or 4”), pinch block curl hold for time

Thickbar- Crusher (2”, 2.5”, 3”), NN (2”, 2 3/8”, 3”), Trilobite (2”, 2.5”, 3”), 2” Axle, 2 3/8” axle, 

Vertical lifts- excalibur (2”, 2.5”, 3”), FBBC jug, FBBC Anvil, LBH

Random- sledge hammer variations, Hub variations, blob/block weight reps/holds, wrist roller 

-quick thought on the lists and would be random draw the day of so even the promoter wouldnt have a clue either

I like this idea. That way we have some clue of what the events are but its random selection among the categories. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Tanker,

I thought the idea was kind of dropped due to not enough interest or guys wanting to know what the events were. I would love for it to happen as I have been bitten by the competition bug!  If enough were interested it would be great. Just don’t know when it would come to fruition as next month is the  armlifting comp at Eric Roussin’s and then King Kong. Let’s see who else chimes in. Are you gonna do Erics next month?

Joe

just do it locals will always show. you dont need the scared anyway lol. good luck up in Canada brother

3 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

just do it locals will always show. you dont need the scared anyway lol. good luck up in Canada brother

Yes that is true Chris for sure! Maybe we will do it at the new year? We will see... and thanks for the luck in Canada.... I will need it.